Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 07:34 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,118,036 times

Advertisements

Check my previous post.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:02 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,132,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohanna View Post
The evidence of negative health effects of second hand smoke are aplenty. Has this been implemented anywhere you know of? I know there are extensive smoking bans in closed buildings, but what about downtown public streets. For non-smokers who care about their well-being, a new regulation like that would be great. Plus, if there were less places people were allowed to smoke perhaps more would consider quitting smoking.
Yes, I'm fully in favor, as long as public marijuana smoking is NOT banned. Smoking ganja is an urban tradition that we cannot afford to lose, especially given the economic stimulus it gives restaurants and head shops.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:46 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,478,891 times
I just wish there was a little more honesty about smoking bans. We ban smoking because it stinks.Period. Unless someone can actually name a person who died from second hand smoke it`s junk science.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:16 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,309,772 times
Actually when is throwing cigarettes out of car windows going to be fined and banned is what I'd want to know? I am sitting at a stop light, and have to inhale smoke from the car in front of me!

Smoking in ANY public area should banned it period. Our beaches are infested with cigarette butts, and kids can't freakin build a sand castle anymore without finding butts and broken glass etc!

We won't have a problem with smokers if they'd display SOME common sense about it, but they don't. So any measure shouldn't surprise them in any way.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:06 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,867,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Actually when is throwing cigarettes out of car windows going to be fined and banned is what I'd want to know? I am sitting at a stop light, and have to inhale smoke from the car in front of me!
Incredible. So despite sucking in all those car fumes you are complaining about cigarette smoke? I have no argument with littering butts and agree fines should be stricter for that - but honestly this is probably the stupidest sentiment on a thread full of idiotic and self-serving sentiments. The article up-thread mentioned you eliminate any second-hand smoke contact by moving 6 feet away from the smoker. Just roll up your windows.

Quote:
Smoking in ANY public area should banned it period. Our beaches are infested with cigarette butts, and kids can't freakin build a sand castle anymore without finding butts and broken glass etc!
God knows those broken-glass throwing smokers are ruining our beaches!!!!!

Quote:
We won't have a problem with smokers if they'd display SOME common sense about it, but they don't. So any measure shouldn't surprise them in any way.
Common sense? Like thinking trace amounts of cigarette smoke are worse for you then sucking in car fumes on your commute?

Personally I think we should set fees / fines for car-traveling over a certain mileage each month / week. Your car is polluting my air. I can't roll up my windows.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:17 AM

121 posts, read 217,425 times
Your car is equipped with an ashtray: use it, and don't blow your stupid smoke at me ON TOP of your fumes!!! Is that better?

GFY

Obviously u don't live in Florida, and don't visit beaches often!

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Incredible. So despite sucking in all those car fumes you are complaining about cigarette smoke? I have no argument with littering butts and agree fines should be stricter for that - but honestly this is probably the stupidest sentiment on a thread full of idiotic and self-serving sentiments. The article up-thread mentioned you eliminate any second-hand smoke contact by moving 6 feet away from the smoker. Just roll up your windows.

God knows those broken-glass throwing smokers are ruining our beaches!!!!!

Common sense? Like thinking trace amounts of cigarette smoke are worse for you then sucking in car fumes on your commute?

Personally I think we should set fees / fines for car-traveling over a certain mileage each month / week. Your car is polluting my air. I can't roll up my windows.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:17 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Quote:

Where I live it is against the law. but like so many others it has to be noticed. But then its also against the law to throw other things but the problem is enforcement of that verus other problem the enforcers have to deal with. Lookig at a modr ern police car its supring somethimes that their is space for the operator and managing it all has to be dangerous as we push more o the individual plice offficer to have less support personell doing it for them. just the other miught a TV statio wen tover what a police offficer does to complete a Driving under influence before returnigto work. They alos showed justnow much paprework previous doine bt stae or otehr clerkail workers o license when refusing test and such has been pyuhsed o to them coapred to the past. So I don't see it gettig any better on law minor enforcement.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:24 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,867,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia10 View Post
Your car is equipped with an ashtray: use it, and don't blow your stupid smoke at me ON TOP of your fumes!!! Is that better?

GFY

Obviously u don't live in Florida, and don't visit beaches often!
I don't smoke or drive. I just hate people that share your mentality. Same with anti-gay marriage people. I'm not gay, but I have one thing to say to all of you. Get a _____ life. You can support something / someone without being one of the pack. Most new cars don't have ashtrays either BTW.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:30 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,731,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
It seems like a bit of over kill to me, but probably necessary. Even after you throw the smokers out of buildings, they still don't get the clue. They just huddle around the building entrances, and blow smoke into the faces of non-smokers coming and going. Why can't they just go out back and smoke by the stinky dirty dumpsters? It's obvious that foul odors don't bother them.

Ever notice where the ashtrays are?

Old 12-13-2012, 04:09 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,712,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I hate to tell you this, but no matter what Mommy told you, the universe doesn't revolve around you and your preferences. Smell is very subjective; there are people (and have always been) who very much like the smell of tobacco smoke. In fact, it used to be considered quite sexy and still is, by some.

There are no doubt smells that you particularly like (or how you smell yourself) that some others would consider a stench. It used to be that that was pretty much your own problem; now people seem to think that the world will end if they are offended and they should be protected from that at all costs.
So you're basically advocating that people are 'within their rights' to show inconsideration to others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning