Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 06:51 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Nonsmoker, but I'm well aware that the moment that I start advocating that someone else's rights to do something that I disagree with be legislated out of existence, that I've just said it's just fine and dandy for the same to be done to me.

Just when did we become a society that thought that other adult citizens should not be allowed to make their own decisions and that we should be protected from everything under the sun including being offended?

Well, if that's the case, I find people who want to legislate the rights of other people out of existence for things like this to be pretty much one of the most offensive things on the planet and I think there should be legislation requiring them to stay in their own homes so they don't force their offensive opinions on the rest of us. Those attitudes are far, FAR more destructive, AND offensive, than second-hand smoke could ever be.
This is all that needs to be considered. Start taking away the rights of some, you end up taking away the rights of all. That will be our downfall and far more detrimental than some studies about second hand smoke.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:06 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,800,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
This is what smokers use to 'change the subject' or 'distract' everyone from the actual topic of conversation. Just yell BIG BROTHER and try and slip smoking past those who might not be paying attention.

This isnt about big brother and its not about artery clogging hamburgers, its about someone blowing toxic substances into the air that others have to breathe. Newsflash, you have to share society with others, its not YOUR road, its not YOUR air and its not YOUR town, you have to share and share alike with people you dont even know. Unforuntately, this is the way things work.

As far as your 'right' to blow smoke in other people's face? Who said you have a right? Did the tobacco companies declare that 'all smokers have a right to use our product in any way they see fit without any regard for other people's wishes"?

I would imagine that people have more of a 'right' to breathe clean air than you have a right to pollute the air that other's breathe.

you assume much............typical. Puppet.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:08 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,712,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
you assume much............typical. Puppet.
Wow, a one line response. Thats all you got?

Old 12-13-2012, 07:22 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,167,969 times
Quote:
This is what smokers use to 'change the subject' or 'distract' everyone from the actual topic of conversation. Just yell BIG BROTHER and try and slip smoking past those who might not be paying attention.

This isnt about big brother and its not about artery clogging hamburgers, its about someone blowing toxic substances into the air that others have to breathe. Newsflash, you have to share society with others, its not YOUR road, its not YOUR air and its not YOUR town, you have to share and share alike with people you dont even know. Unforuntately, this is the way things work.

As far as your 'right' to blow smoke in other people's face? Who said you have a right? Did the tobacco companies declare that 'all smokers have a right to use our product in any way they see fit without any regard for other people's wishes"?

I would imagine that people have more of a 'right' to breathe clean air than you have a right to pollute the air that other's breathe.
Do you drive? Good thing you aren't allowed to do that anymore because I have to breath crap you blow into the air every time you start your car. What about when you buy something? Toxic fumes were put in the air that someone had to breath to make it, deliver it on a truck to where it's sold, and more toxic fumes to provide the electricity to run the shop where you bought your crap. Did the auto industry and manufacturing industry and retail industry and every other industry declare that "all people have a right to use any product in anyway they see fit without regard for the fact that some crazy cat lady doesn't like cars, laptops, cups of coffee?

But I'm sure you don't drive, buy anything including food, use any electricity, etc. How you're alive is a bit of a mystery tbh, but fortunately you typed this message. So we all know you're a complete hypocrite and full of it and not just some amazing survivalist of the grid back to nature type. Talk is easy, thanks for demonstrating that.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:50 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Quote:

It's ABSOLUTELY about "Big Brother". That you don't want to acknowledge that, or that more importantly, you don't want anyone ELSE to know about it, doesn't make it any less true.

Pippyskiddles and lovecda and Malloric laid it out quite nicely and clearly, and accurately. That's exactly what you're doing, and your beautiful new Emperor's robes are quite invisible and unable to hide a thing. And the more you type, the more invisible they become.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
It's ABSOLUTELY about "Big Brother". That you don't want to acknowledge that, or that more importantly, you don't want anyone ELSE to know about it, doesn't make it any less true.

Pippyskiddles and lovecda and Malloric laid it out quite nicely and clearly, and accurately. That's exactly what you're doing, and your beautiful new Emperor's robes are quite invisible and unable to hide a thing. And the more you type, the more invisible they become.
Big Brother is about putting tracking devices in cars or planting chips in children and not about them telling smokers to not blow their smoke in other people's faces. "Big Brother" has been enabling "Big Tobacco" for decades.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Do you drive? Good thing you aren't allowed to do that anymore because I have to breath crap you blow into the air every time you start your car. What about when you buy something? Toxic fumes were put in the air that someone had to breath to make it, deliver it on a truck to where it's sold, and more toxic fumes to provide the electricity to run the shop where you bought your crap. Did the auto industry and manufacturing industry and retail industry and every other industry declare that "all people have a right to use any product in anyway they see fit without regard for the fact that some crazy cat lady doesn't like cars, laptops, cups of coffee?

But I'm sure you don't drive, buy anything including food, use any electricity, etc. How you're alive is a bit of a mystery tbh, but fortunately you typed this message. So we all know you're a complete hypocrite and full of it and not just some amazing survivalist of the grid back to nature type. Talk is easy, thanks for demonstrating that.
What does driving have to do with smoking? I must have misread the thread topic, isnt there a car pollution thread somewhere on CD?

Old 12-13-2012, 09:17 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
If you're going to complain about air pollution from cigarette smoke, it is the height of hypocrisy to then ignore air pollution from the very automobiles you drive and ride in and purchase goods that were brought to you in, etc., just because you, personally, benefit from that.

Also, it's not that big a step from banning smokers to banning the use of automobiles, when you get right down to it.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:33 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times
Quote:
What does driving have to do with smoking? I must have misread the thread topic, isnt there a car pollution thread somewhere on CD?

[laughter]

Old 12-14-2012, 02:50 AM

Quote:
If you're going to complain about air pollution from cigarette smoke, it is the height of hypocrisy to then ignore air pollution from the very automobiles you drive and ride in and purchase goods that were brought to you in, etc., just because you, personally, benefit from that.

Also, it's not that big a step from banning smokers to banning the use of automobiles, when you get right down to it.
Yes, but that still doesnt address the smoking in public. We can talk all you want about air pollution from cars, we can even start a brandy new topic addressing the issue.....im concerned that some people might be tempted to 'change the subject' and talk about pollution from automobiles, or big brother. Lets talk about smokers blowing smoke in the faces of people who would rather inhale oxygen and leave the other stuff for other topic threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning