Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 04:25 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,423,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
So you're basically advocating that people are 'within their rights' to show inconsideration to others?
No, I'm saying that there are no doubt things about you or things that you do that someone else finds offensive. Unless you are willing to turn over your life to someone else's preferences, you need to not expect other people to turn their lives over to yours.

And, when you get right down to it, what could be MORE inconsiderate than expecting the entire rest of the world to dance to your personal tune and only do those things that you approve of and like?

Old 12-13-2012, 04:30 PM

19,725 posts, read 20,264,355 times
Quote:
What do you think of a smoking ban on public streets?
Uh, how about "No".

Old 12-13-2012, 04:38 PM

121 posts, read 217,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Ever notice where the ashtrays are?
Yeah! Complain to the manufacturers.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:54 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,712,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
No, I'm saying that there are no doubt things about you or things that you do that someone else finds offensive. Unless you are willing to turn over your life to someone else's preferences, you need to not expect other people to turn their lives over to yours.

And, when you get right down to it, what could be MORE inconsiderate than expecting the entire rest of the world to dance to your personal tune and only do those things that you approve of and like?
I "Get" that there are things that we all do that people find offensive, but that's a different discussion for a different day. We're specifically talking about smoking on public streets. Your point (correct me if i'm wrong) was that its ok for smokers to 'blow smoke' in the faces of random people on the streets under the idea that there are plenty of offensive things out there, so, we should all just live our lives and not worry about other people's concerns.

Im not saying that we should all just buckle to the pressure of what other people want, but i'm talking about something as simple as not blowing smoke into the air in public places. If you have another 'peeve' about common courtesy in our society, im sure you could put up a thread about it and we could discuss that over there.

It seems to me that common courtesy isnt so common these days, im not asking for people to just live their lives according to the bible of random strangers, im just asking for smokers to not blow smoke into the air that i have to breathe. I dont think that i'm asking too much.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:04 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,867,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia10 View Post
Yeah! Complain to the manufacturers.
Talking about in front of buildings. They always are in kind of awkward places where the smokers are always right in front of the entrance. Feel bad for the security guard.

In the LA the Red Line subway interior hallways for some reason still have ashtrays even though it is definitely illegal - doesn't make much sense considering the Metro is not very old...

Old 12-13-2012, 05:05 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,867,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
I "Get" that there are things that we all do that people find offensive, but that's a different discussion for a different day. We're specifically talking about smoking on public streets. Your point (correct me if i'm wrong) was that its ok for smokers to 'blow smoke' in the faces of random people on the streets under the idea that there are plenty of offensive things out there, so, we should all just live our lives and not worry about other people's concerns.

Im not saying that we should all just buckle to the pressure of what other people want, but i'm talking about something as simple as not blowing smoke into the air in public places. If you have another 'peeve' about common courtesy in our society, im sure you could put up a thread about it and we could discuss that over there.

It seems to me that common courtesy isnt so common these days, im not asking for people to just live their lives according to the bible of random strangers, im just asking for smokers to not blow smoke into the air that i have to breathe. I dont think that i'm asking too much.
It is when you have no valid reason other than "I don't like it". And seriously has anyone ever blown smoke in your face? I know it's never happened to me and I do a lot of walking around past a lot of smokers.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
It is when you have no valid reason other than "I don't like it". And seriously has anyone ever blown smoke in your face? I know it's never happened to me and I do a lot of walking around past a lot of smokers.
So, you're saying that if someone is doing something that i dont like, im not allowed to voice a concern and i just have to 'bend over' and take it?

Im not asking the person to build a rocket and let me use that rocket to fly to the moon, im just asking for them to not blow toxic substances into the air.

I didnt think that was a request that wouldnt be honored by a person who actually cares about his fellow man.

Is it too much to ask?

Old 12-13-2012, 06:25 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,802,064 times
wow........this thread is freaking me out................

Don't those of you who are screaming--ban cigarettes and smokers know that this is just the beginning.................the beginning of Big Brother taking away rights one by one?
It started with smoking cause,dontchaknow smokers are rated right down in the bottom of the sewer with heroin addicts............but one by one rights will be taken away.
You gotta stand for something or you'll fall for anything? Well you guys are like little govt. puppets. You've done just what was expected and jumped on the no smoking bandwagon.
Wait until your greasy,artery clogging hamburgers are banned because of health reasons.
Beer and other forms of liquor will follow and with good reason? Maybe....I mean look at the number of drunk drivers out killing others. No gun needed--just a 2 ton vehicle.
And perfumes/colognes---I don't wanna smell them. The give me asthma attacks. I haven't lead a march to ban them though. Maybe I should............but no, I'm all about Civil Rights for Americans.
Candy,chips,steaks.............what's next? Religion? Can't be a Baptist, Methodist,Catholic and no way you can be Jewish.........sound familiar??

All I'm doing is basically saying-----think things through people. Think ahead to the future-yours and your children/grandchildren. Do you want a world where citizens have implants under their skin to monitor not only what they eat,how long they sleep but also where they are and are going???

Laugh. Some will. Be a puppet or stand up for rights of the few now that will protect the rights of the many later...........

Last edited by PippySkiddles; 12-13-2012 at 06:37 PM..

Old 12-13-2012, 06:28 PM

414 posts, read 1,095,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyb1144 View Post
Smoking is vile, unhealthy, stinky, polluting and all around nasty. I hate it.
That boils the discussion down quite nicely. The people who hate smokers outnumber the people who enjoy smoking, and are thus progressively pushing the anti-smoking agenda further and further.

First it was demanding segregated smoking areas indoors, then it was demanding that smokers be forced outside, then forcing smokers away from buildings, now it's forcing smokers out of public areas entirely. And often not just smokers, but any nicotine user.

This is crazy. The majority, non-smokers, are pushing around the minority, smokers, and the non-smokers have been so successful in this that now they're giving another push so they don't even have to see smokers. It makes no sense.

What if I said I think anorexics are vile, unhealthy and all around nasty? And that I hate anorexia. Therefore, anorexics should not be seen in public. Is that right?

What if I think that dogs are vile, stinky, can create a health hazard (being dirty, biting, sniffing each other, whatever), polluting by eliminating in public areas and all around nasty? Should dogs therefore be banned from all public areas? And certainly from cars that aren't well-sealed! They hang their heads out windows and drops of slobber could get on me, not to mention create a potential hazard by splattering on my windshield!

The point is that not all things are the same to all people. It is wrong to discriminate against smokers, just as it is wrong to discriminate against anorexics.

Non-smokers adopt a holier-than-thou attitude toward smokers. Non-smokers feel superior in their choices and they want to foist their lifestyle on others to the point where they don't even want to see smokers or even anyone that looks like a smoker. They're punitive toward anyone who doesn't make the same lifestyle choices as themselves.

Case in point, smokeless tobacco and electronic cigarettes. Colleges and businesses across the country are banning smoking on their property. Included almost universally in these "cigarette" bans are chewing tobacco and snus, nicotine delivery methods that don't even release smoke. Also banned under these policies are electronic cigarettes--a delivery method that sometimes does not include any tobacco-derived nicotine at all and releases a harmless vapor into the air that does not smell and all of its components are things we find everyday in foods and products we use. Nicotine is in potatoes, eggplants and other vegetables. Propylene glycol is used as a base in many liquid foods & additives, food coloring, food flavoring, etc. And of course, water. In the end, smokeless tobacco and electronic cigarettes are no more harmful to anyone else than someone wearing a nicotine patch or chewing nicotine gum.

So why are these included in "smoking" bans? Because the bans are purely punitive measures set against a minority.

An excellent resource on the hypocrisy of these punitive bans is The Rest of the Story: Tobacco News Analysis and Commentary from Doctor Mike Siegel who is a Professor in the Department of Community Health Sciences, Boston University School of Public Health. He has 25 years of experience in the field of tobacco control. He previously spent two years working at the Office on Smoking and Health at CDC, where he conducted research on secondhand smoke and cigarette advertising. He has published nearly 70 papers related to tobacco. He testified in the landmark Engle lawsuit against the tobacco companies, which resulted in an unprecedented $145 billion verdict against the industry. He teaches social and behavioral sciences, mass communication and public health, and public health advocacy in the Masters of Public Health program.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
wow........this thread is freaking me out................

Don't those of you who are screaming--ban cigarettes and smokers know that this is just the beginning.................the beginning of Big Brother taking away rights one by one?
It started with smoking cause,dontchaknow smokers are rated right down in the bottom of the sewer with heroin addicts............but one by one rights will be taken away.
You gotta stand for something or you'll fall for anything? Well you guys are like little govt. puppets. You've done just what was expected and jumped on the no smoking bandwagon.
Wait until your greasy,artery clogging hamburgers are banned because of health reasons.
Beer and other forms of liquor will follow and with good reason? Maybe....I mean look at the number of drunk drivers out killing others. No gun needed--just a 2 ton vehicle.
And perfumes/colognes---I don't wanna smell them. The give me asthma attacks. I haven't lead a march to ban them though. Maybe I should............but no, I'm all about Civil Rights for Americans.
Candy,chips,steaks.............what's next? Religion? Can't be a Baptist, Methodist,Catholic and no way you can be Jewish.........sound familiar??

All I'm doing is basically saying-----think things through people. Think ahead to the future-yours and your children/grandchildren. Do you want a world where citizens have implants under their skin to monitor not only what they eat,how long they sleep but also where they are and are going???

Laugh. Some will. Be a puppet or stand up for rights of the few now that will protect the rights of the many later...........
This is what smokers use to 'change the subject' or 'distract' everyone from the actual topic of conversation. Just yell BIG BROTHER and try and slip smoking past those who might not be paying attention.

This isnt about big brother and its not about artery clogging hamburgers, its about someone blowing toxic substances into the air that others have to breathe. Newsflash, you have to share society with others, its not YOUR road, its not YOUR air and its not YOUR town, you have to share and share alike with people you dont even know. Unforuntately, this is the way things work.

As far as your 'right' to blow smoke in other people's face? Who said you have a right? Did the tobacco companies declare that 'all smokers have a right to use our product in any way they see fit without any regard for other people's wishes"?

I would imagine that people have more of a 'right' to breathe clean air than you have a right to pollute the air that other's breathe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning