Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 12:19 PM

147 posts, read 218,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
What a great sentiment - If I don't like it, it should be illegal.
Not at all what I said, but that's okay. It is what it is.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:39 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,867,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyb1144 View Post
Not at all what I said, but that's okay. It is what it is.

Quote:
Smoking is vile, unhealthy, stinky, polluting and all around nasty. I hate it. I think smokers are rude and they should not smoke in public areas.
That is literally what you said.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:00 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,903,872 times
"Smoking is vile, unhealthy, stinky, polluting and all around nasty. I hate it. I think smokers are rude and they should not smoke in public areas."

Do you feel the same way about being overweight?

Old 12-12-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
"Smoking is vile, unhealthy, stinky, polluting and all around nasty. I hate it. I think smokers are rude and they should not smoke in public areas."

Do you feel the same way about being overweight?
Not at all. Being overweight is an individual issue and has a myriad of reasons. I can't get toxic from a person being overweight. They being overweight does not in one way interfere with my life in any way whatsoever. I have friends who struggle and I have also struggled. Dieting is not fun, but that is not the topic at all. And twisting it from smoking to food is not going to make the nastiness of the smoking habit reduce at all.

Smoking is another story and like I said, being a smoker is also an individual choice. Just don't do it where it will affect other people. Smoke at home or in your car. Simple.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:08 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,879,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
You busybodies really make me sick.
LMFAO. /thread

Old 12-12-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:

That is literally what you said.
Oh! I see! So tweaking part of my statement is what is happening. Okay. I get that. Take what you want and leave the rest. Cool and groovy.

And yeah...smoking is vile, nasty and toxic. Do it at home, in your car and away from others who choose to exercise a different lifestyle. I don't mind if they do it, it's their life they are playing with, but don't reduce mine or others by doing it in a public place. It's a pretty simple and logical process of thought.

If it's not the majority opinion, that's okay. It's mine and I am not saying that smoking should be outlawed (though I would not vote against it), but I don't think that it should be permitted in public places where there are children, other people who choose not to smoke and elderly folks who might need oxygen or something. It's just common courtesy.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:13 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,423,966 times
Smoking and food in this context are very much related. How? Well, only a little while ago when it was pointed out that once smokers were brought to heel, the same thing would happen to other groups that it's still politically correct to be prejudiced against (to use the polite word for it), and the anti-smoking crowd pooh-poohed that. It was only a couple of months after the last time that was done in a discussion I was in that the laws against various kinds of foods (salt, trans fats, etc., etc., etc.) started being passed.

We're living in a society of Carrie Nations, it seems. (Look it up if you don't know who that is, and take a good, long look at her and then go look in the mirror.)

It used to be advised by the anti-smoking crowd that smokers smoke outside so that they wouldn't infringe on other people. Now that they've, for the most part, complied with that the ante has been raised. Do you people not SEE what you're doing? No, never mind, forget I asked, it's clear that you are incapable of that kind of self awareness and will deny it to your dying day. No doubt from something you forgot to ban or thought was just fine and safe because YOU enjoy it.

If you were all really so determined to eliminate such contaminates from your air, instead of making excuses about why you're not out to get rid of auto exhaust you'd be yelling even louder about laws about that. But since most of you drive or benefit from those who do in the way of goods and services, I'm not holding my breath for that bit of consistency to happen.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:17 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,867,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyb1144 View Post
Oh! I see! So tweaking part of my statement is what is happening. Okay. I get that. Take what you want and leave the rest. Cool and groovy.

And yeah...smoking is vile, nasty and toxic. Do it at home, in your car and away from others who choose to exercise a different lifestyle. I don't mind if they do it, it's their life they are playing with, but don't reduce mine or others by doing it in a public place. It's a pretty simple and logical process of thought.

If it's not the majority opinion, that's okay. It's mine and I am not saying that smoking should be outlawed (though I would not vote against it), but I don't think that it should be permitted in public places where there are children, other people who choose not to smoke and elderly folks who might need oxygen or something. It's just common courtesy.
Again all this says to me is "It annoys me so I don't think it should be allowed in places that I go."

All you have to do is look at that article someone posted on here that had a study about second hand smoke in open areas. It basically said that if you are walking past someone while they smoke, there are no measured affects (move six feet away from smoker), but if you are sitting at a patio with someone smoking it is pretty bad, just as bad as if it was indoors. I get your complaint about your neighbor - it happens to me too, as I work from home with a courtyard-facing window and get to smell second hand smoke here and there.

Which is why I have no problem with banning it in parks, plazas, patios, bus / transit stops etc. I do have a problem with banning it in public altogether simply because some people find it outrageously vile. I like someone's suggestion about banning wearing too much perfume - I know old ladies wearing too much fragrance walking past me is way more offensive (literally migraine inducing) than cigarette smoke.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:19 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohanna View Post
The evidence of negative health effects of second hand smoke are aplenty. Has this been implemented anywhere you know of? I know there are extensive smoking bans in closed buildings, but what about downtown public streets. For non-smokers who care about their well-being, a new regulation like that would be great. Plus, if there were less places people were allowed to smoke perhaps more would consider quitting smoking.

I think a lot of non smokers and their bans and demands and ridiculous attitude are one big pain in the neck.

When will non smokers realize that smokers do so because THEY WANT TO and NOTHING you can do will STOP THAT. Get over yourselves already, second hand smoke outside is NOT going to affect your health that much. Well not as much as your whining and constant complaining affects us smokers who are tired of hearing it.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Again all this says to me is "It annoys me so I don't think it should be allowed in places that I go."

All you have to do is look at that article someone posted on here that had a study about second hand smoke in open areas. It basically said that if you are walking past someone while they smoke, there are no measured affects (move six feet away from smoker), but if you are sitting at a patio with someone smoking it is pretty bad, just as bad as if it was indoors. I get your complaint about your neighbor - it happens to me too, as I work from home with a courtyard-facing window and get to smell second hand smoke here and there.

Which is why I have no problem with banning it in parks, plazas, patios, bus / transit stops etc. I do have a problem with banning it in public altogether simply because some people find it outrageously vile. I like someone's suggestion about banning wearing too much perfume - I know old ladies wearing too much fragrance walking past me is way more offensive (literally migraine inducing) than cigarette smoke.
Hmm...good points, indeed. The fragrance thing can be rough. Can't argue at all. I was in the mall the other day to get some items and as I passed a person, I was almost knocked over by the cologne they were wearing. How right you are.

But I can't get with the smoking thing. And that's okay. My mom, SIL, brother and niece would all send you flowers and candy for sticking up for them and other smokers. No lie.

But for me, I think it should be banned, and that is a-ok. Thank God we live in America and can all agree to disagree. Fun thread, btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning