Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 02:47 PM

147 posts, read 218,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I think a lot of non smokers and their bans and demands and ridiculous attitude are one big pain in the neck.

When will non smokers realize that smokers do so because THEY WANT TO and NOTHING you can do will STOP THAT. Get over yourselves already, second hand smoke outside is NOT going to affect your health that much. Well not as much as your whining and constant complaining affects us smokers who are tired of hearing it.
My mom says same exact thing. I ride her all time and she tells me to 'shut it or ill ground you'. LOL. No matter the age, we are still humbled by our moms.

I know you guys do it because you want to, but there are many things won't do if it hinders other people's space and experience. I look at it like common courtesy. I don't want to smell like smoke if I go to a park or a cafe or something. My family thinks I'm a huge PIA and that I have always been that way. I guess I can't argue. My brother says I am stuck up and my SIL says it makes me charming. LOL. But at end of day, I just don't want to go to their funerals.

We care about you guys (if you are smoker) and want you around to enjoy. Our hearts are good and we would rather not have to take a shower after we enjoy our time with you/them.

It's all good...our intentions are genuine. But my SIL says it's hurtful and until she told me that on Skype, I didn't consider that aspect of it. She said she feels like a leper and she's embarrassed bc she smokes. That hurt my heart. I never considered that. So I dropped it. I asked her to start using the ones you can smoke inside with. Electric, maybe? She bought it and then she said she likes the yukky ones. Alas, I left it alone. For now. hehe

Old 12-12-2012, 02:56 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,903,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyb1144 View Post
Not at all. Being overweight is an individual issue and has a myriad of reasons. I can't get toxic from a person being overweight. They being overweight does not in one way interfere with my life in any way whatsoever. I have friends who struggle and I have also struggled. Dieting is not fun, but that is not the topic at all. And twisting it from smoking to food is not going to make the nastiness of the smoking habit reduce at all.

Smoking is another story and like I said, being a smoker is also an individual choice. Just don't do it where it will affect other people. Smoke at home or in your car. Simple.
Do you feel the same way about flatulence caused by a poor diet?

Old 12-12-2012, 03:02 PM

147 posts, read 218,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
LOL! Oh my....I can honestly say I don't have a rebuttal.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:18 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,133,210 times
I certainly can understand banning smoking in all public buildings and in Connecticut your not allowed to smoke in your car if there is a child in it. That all makes sense to me being confined in a smokey area but outside I think is a bit much.
If people stand in front of public buildings the smart thing would be to put those tall plastic ashtrays there or the metal litter baskets that have an ashtray on top. It just makes a mess of the gutters and sidewalks to have the butts being there.
New York and I believe California have placed limitations on the sale of soda.
I don't think its the state's responsibility to monitor certain aspects of a person's life. If this keeps up I may have to move to Maine - Live free or Die sounds good to me.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:41 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,523,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
Good Christ this is a dumb argument.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:14 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,865,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
I certainly can understand banning smoking in all public buildings and in Connecticut your not allowed to smoke in your car if there is a child in it. That all makes sense to me being confined in a smokey area but outside I think is a bit much.
If people stand in front of public buildings the smart thing would be to put those tall plastic ashtrays there or the metal litter baskets that have an ashtray on top. It just makes a mess of the gutters and sidewalks to have the butts being there.
New York and I believe California have placed limitations on the sale of soda.
I don't think its the state's responsibility to monitor certain aspects of a person's life. If this keeps up I may have to move to Maine - Live free or Die sounds good to me.
That's actually NH.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:17 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,865,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Good Christ this is a dumb argument.
The best argument is that it doesn't really cause any harm if people smoke while they walk down the street, walk to their car in the parking lot, etc. Just because it is annoying / gross doesn't really give it grounds to be illegal - if that was I can think of a lot of activities I would like to see made illegal

Maybe the law should be that you can smoke in public but you have to be constantly moving.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:39 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,423,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
The best argument is that it doesn't really cause any harm if people smoke while they walk down the street, walk to their car in the parking lot, etc. Just because it is annoying / gross doesn't really give it grounds to be illegal - if that was I can think of a lot of activities I would like to see made illegal

Maybe the law should be that you can smoke in public but you have to be constantly moving.
Me, too. Starting with whining about how not everyone makes the same choices you do and how they should all be required to by law.

That's probably one of the things that should be on the list of things that once the anti-smokers have made it illegal for other adults to make their own choices about, should be made illegal for the anti-smokers and their ilk to do - their equivalent addiction. I can hear the wailing and caterwauling about how it's not FAIR now!

Old 12-12-2012, 05:55 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,118,036 times
Ya know, I might start taking you folks seriously if you went after automobile manufacturers for their products exhaust fumes, those factories producing smog, food producers injecting their products with antibiotics, which means that antibiotics don't work when humans get sick, or spraying what we eat with dangerious chemicals. Heck, I'd even respect you if you started calling for a ban on wars. Instead, you want to dictate your demands to other individuals. Take you seriously? No. Respect you? No.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:58 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
I think its a waste of time looking at all the other issues such as fireplaces and other smoke problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning