Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 10:02 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,670 times

Advertisements

First, I understand that some people must move to Utah, because they have been transferred for employment reasons. What I don’t understand is why people voluntarily move to Utah and want to live in non-Mormon neighborhoods. Is it because people, who seek non-Mormon neighborhoods, are from areas where there are distinct religious boundaries? It seems so very strange to me. From my perspective, it is much akin to moving to Alabama and not wanting to live near Southern Baptists or moving to Hollywood and not wanting to live near people who work in the entertainment industry.

There are so many other states to choose. Many of those states have more to do, lower taxes, better services, better weather, and no concentration of Mormons. So, would someone give me a rational answer?

Old 04-02-2007, 12:24 PM

11 posts, read 61,747 times
As you stated, the most obvious reason for relocation is job transfer and/or career advancement. If a person wants to succeed up the corporate ladder moving to an available position (in another state) is sometimes the only option.

My husband started a thread asking for non lds suburbs or communities. As I've stated before we have no problem with any religion, culture, race, ethnic background, etc. We can get along with anyone at anytime. However, not everyone is open minded like us. I don't want to put my family (children especially) in a position where they are not accepted or included with other children. A cross country move is difficult enough without having to worry about my children not being accepted in school and outside activities. That can be hard on a seven and three year old.

Some of the threads in this forum talk about the experiences of others who have felt alienated by members of a religious group. This is obviously an issue at times....not all the time. That does not mean every lds member treats others this way. But I think looking for a community with a diverse population makes sense for ANYONE.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:25 PM

62 posts, read 427,925 times
The reason people are wary of living in a Mormon community is because of the arrogant attitude they have - thinking they know more than 'the rest of us' and have some special knowlege that the rest of us do not. It's a joke. The Mormons are encouraged to spend their time with other Mormons (almost the whole week is monopolized by Mormon activities and duties - to the exclusion of other faiths). They look down on others who do not share similar beliefs (if someone drinks, has a coffee or cup of tea, or anything not in their protocol). With other faiths no one hounds you to join their church (like the Mormons do), and until you do you are are an outsider.

Why move to a place where there are Mormons ? Well if not due to employment - maybe people want a scenic place with mild weather, low crime, sunny days, etc. But ARE concerned about the shunning by the Mormon community for not being 'of the fold.' You should realize this. When moving to any other town in America do you get the question, 'What is it like to be a Christian in that community?' NO, because being of the Christian community no one hounds you as the Mormons, and shuns you - they are much more accepting and tolerant of others....that's why people are concerned....

Old 04-02-2007, 12:52 PM

378 posts, read 1,905,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keikekai View Post
The reason people are wary of living in a Mormon community is because of the arrogant attitude they have - thinking they know more than 'the rest of us' and have some special knowlege that the rest of us do not. It's a joke. The Mormons are encouraged to spend their time with other Mormons (almost the whole week is monopolized by Mormon activities and duties - to the exclusion of other faiths). They look down on others who do not share similar beliefs (if someone drinks, has a coffee or cup of tea, or anything not in their protocol). With other faiths no one hounds you to join their church (like the Mormons do), and until you do you are are an outsider.

Why move to a place where there are Mormons ? Well if not due to employment - maybe people want a scenic place with mild weather, low crime, sunny days, etc. But ARE concerned about the shunning by the Mormon community for not being 'of the fold.' You should realize this. When moving to any other town in America do you get the question, 'What is it like to be a Christian in that community?' NO, because being of the Christian community no one hounds you as the Mormons, and shuns you - they are much more accepting and tolerant of others....that's why people are concerned....
Thank you for placing all of us (Mormons) in our assigned group. LOL. Have you ever lived in the South? You sound like you need a time out.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keikekai View Post
maybe people want a scenic place with mild weather, low crime, sunny days
Well, I guess this is rational, but I wouldn't call the weather in Utah mild. If one wants mild weather, then they should move to Northern California. The scenery in Northern California is also breathtaking. As far as crime is concerned, the stats show Utah's crime rate is about average for the nation. Sunny days, well, OK, but, there are plenty of those in the Broncs.

Nope, it can't be any of those reasons. There must be something else...What could it be?

Old 04-02-2007, 02:11 PM

378 posts, read 1,905,990 times
I'm looking for a place that has sunny nights!

Old 04-02-2007, 03:12 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,732,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder_Shawn View Post
I'm looking for a place that has sunny nights!
Alaska -- it's great. You can be fishing at 10 p.m. with no problem

Old 04-02-2007, 03:21 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,872 times
I'm a "non" living in a very LDS neighborhood. Other than my family there is one other "non". My LDS neighbors are VERY accepting. They include us, we've gone camping with them, we've gone on a vacation with another (and the husband in his family was formarly a bishop). We don't ever feel excluded, or judged. On occasion a child will ask me if I know coffee is bad for me, or if I know I just said a "bad word" (like "damn" or OMG).

Maybe I have an exceptional neighborhood. But these mormons make fantastic neighbors, and they know how to have fun. And just because someone invites you to Enrichment Night doesn't mean they are looking to sign you up.

Old 04-02-2007, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder_Shawn View Post
I'm looking for...sunny nights!
Sorry, Shawn, you won't find him. He's doing 25 to life in the "Q" on a third strike robbery beef.

Old 04-02-2007, 06:20 PM

48 posts, read 192,940 times
LOL - One thing I'm learning about Mormons from this forum is that many of them have a 'wicked' sense of humor! I even saw President Hinckley making a few jokes on TV at the rededication ceremony for the Tabernacle on the weekend - something about his age and the new benches "being as hard as the old ones".

keikekai I haven't read any of your other posts so I can't form a full judgement, but I have to wonder with a nickname like yours if you aren't trying to associate yourself with a certain white supremacist group that are far more "arrogant" and exclusive than any Mormon community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: