Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 09:55 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,059,191 times

Advertisements

Curious to hear from people who were omnivores and are, now, vegetarians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 05:08 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,057,539 times
I am much lighter, have much lower (145) cholesterol, and now normal (115/75) blood pressure compared to a year ago when I adopted a plant based diet. Because my weight has changed dramatically, I have more energy, exercise regularly, and I am also sleeping better than I have for many years. I do take lots of supplements and eat a very balanced whole food diet with as little processed food as possible. My husband and I are completely committed to this way of eating.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:54 AM

I think we will, slowly, work our way into a vegetarian diet. My daughter, who is 15, gets sick easily. It likes she eats something and her stomach has problems.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:11 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,861,634 times
I have more energy, my cholesterol has improved and I have lost weight.

My hdl (good) cholesterol was 105!

Old 04-19-2013, 11:42 AM

65 posts, read 149,558 times
I'd be curious if the people who have answered are vegetarian or vegan. And if vegetarian - how much fatty/fat-free dairy and eggs they eat or how often. Also do they eat alot of starches (ie whole grains, potatoes etc.).

I'm not sure yet, but I feel better. I plan on getting my cholesterol and vitamin levels checked in a couple months.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:14 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,768,741 times
Vegetarian doesn't make a lot of difference to me health-wise, but vegan -- wow!

Old 04-19-2013, 03:24 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,793,468 times
I transitioned from carnivore to vegetarian and then vegetarian to vegan. I've been 100% vegan since mid-December of last year and stopped eating meat in June of last year.

Before I switched to a vegetarian diet, I would get a headache just about every time I ate meat. I tried to deny that it was the meat, but after a while it was obvious that it was the meat. I had even cut down on my meat consumption and I was still having headaches. Once I switched to a vegetarian diet, the number of headaches I experienced decreased significantly. However, with cheesy items I'd have headaches. I started to see cheese as a "treat", but after a while, the facts about cheese started to weigh on me and I no longer saw it as a "treat," I saw it as poison. Enter veganism.

I feel a lot lighter, as if my movements are not as labored as when I ate meat. My skin is clearer and I don't break out as often. The only time I really broke out is when I'm stressed or before my menstrual cycle. Even then, my breakouts are not as bad as they were in the past.

The only health "issues" I have are inflammation and low levels of Omega 3s. I had a blood test done in January and discovered this. I wasn't concerned about my omega 3 levels but before I had the test done, I already knew I needed more omega 3s in my diet to fight inflammation. Now I get my omega 3s through flaxseed meal I add to my oatmeal and sometimes to my green smoothies.

There is plenty of information about how to meet your nutritional needs on a vegan diet. Plenty of people can improve their health with by becoming vegan.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:06 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,057,539 times
[quote=PurpleLove08;The only health "issues" I have are inflammation and low levels of Omega 3s. I had a blood test done in January and discovered this. I wasn't concerned about my omega 3 levels but before I had the test done, I already knew I needed more omega 3s in my diet to fight inflammation. Now I get my omega 3s through flaxseed meal I add to my oatmeal and sometimes to my green smoothies. QUOTE]

Add chia seeds to your diet - they contain more omega 3 fatty acids than flax seed. We eat 2 tablespoons flax seed meal and 3 tablespoons hydrated chia seeds - each day and we have very good omega 3 levels...those chia seeds are amazingly good for us. Costco carries them.

I put about 1/2 cup of chia seeds in a tupperware container - mix in about 2 1/2 cups of water - whisk it well...let it sit for 15 minutes, wisk again getting out any lumps and adding more water if the water has all been soaked up. Store in the fridge and use daily. We put it in our green smoothies each day ....it can also be used for a vegan egg - used in pancakes or any baked goods - you can make a pudding out of it too.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:27 PM

Chia and flax will help some of the challenges with Omega fatty acid etc?

Old 04-19-2013, 07:07 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,793,468 times
[quote=Cattknap;29204472]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08;The only health "issues" I have are inflammation and low levels of Omega 3s. I had a blood test done in January and discovered this. I wasn't concerned about my omega 3 levels but before I had the test done, I already knew I needed more omega 3s in my diet to fight inflammation. Now I get my omega 3s through flaxseed meal I add to my oatmeal and sometimes to my green smoothies. QUOTE

Add chia seeds to your diet - they contain more omega 3 fatty acids than flax seed. We eat 2 tablespoons flax seed meal and 3 tablespoons hydrated chia seeds - each day and we have very good omega 3 levels...those chia seeds are amazingly good for us. Costco carries them.

I put about 1/2 cup of chia seeds in a tupperware container - mix in about 2 1/2 cups of water - whisk it well...let it sit for 15 minutes, wisk again getting out any lumps and adding more water if the water has all been soaked up. Store in the fridge and use daily. We put it in our green smoothies each day ....it can also be used for a vegan egg - used in pancakes or any baked goods - you can make a pudding out of it too.
The local co-op has chia seeds, and I buy them from there. I'm not exactly sure if it's cheaper than buying them pre-packaged but I do like buying them from the bulk section; that way I can get as much as I want/need. I use chia seeds about once a week and maybe a tsp or so a week.

I think chia and flaxseed are very close in terms of their nutritional content. I think it all boils down to personal preference. I like flaxseed meal because it easily blends into liquids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food