Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 04:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,927,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Lol at the people freaking out about the "choices" to go meatless being forced on them.
1. You can send your kid with meat to school.
2. You really think kids need meat three times a day?
Geezus.
Absolutely not: of course they do not have to have meat 3 times a day. Most of us do not have it for breakfast and some of us, do not eat it every night. The fact is, this is a very restrictive menu, most kids are accustom to eating a little meat at lunch, and not offering a choice is infringing on my rights or should I say, my kids rights...BTW, we are not vegetarians as most of you know, I have no kids at home, as most of you know, I do not live in NY City and my degree is in foods and nutrition. Obviously I am believe in healthy eating. I do not believe in the government telling me what I can eat. As for sending your child to school with meat: of course you can, what a silly comment to make, but there are 2 things wrong with this: 1-during winter months, many might want a kid to have a hot lunch and 2-There are working moms, single moms, etc, who do not always have time to pack a child's lunch. These kids have to eat at school.

Nita

Old 05-18-2013, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
People really do seem to have an odd aversion to vegetarian food.....its difficult to get people to go to vegetarian/vegan restaurants for just a single meal!
for me, it isn't a aversion, at all. In fact we have several vegetarian dishes I fix regularly that we happen to like. For me, it is simply: the government deciding what my child should eat. I am not opposed to serving healthy foods in school. When I was PTA pres a couple of centuries ago, I was a strong supporter and activist for making school food healthy. But, I would not have attempted to push relatively restricted diet down the throats of the kids because it was a life choice I believed in. There is a huge difference. I wonder who made the decision? I bet it wasn't made by the parents or even the school staff.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:04 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,457,559 times
But they already decide what they eat.
Why are you focusing on meat?
Where's the outrage that they don't serve acai berries?
How dare they make that choice for me!

Old 05-18-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
But they already decide what they eat.
Why are you focusing on meat?
Where's the outrage that they don't serve acai berries?
How dare they make that choice for me!
You are being unreasonable. We are talking about basic foods and basic eating habits. The school is choosing what a kid should eat based on a very small minority habits. I think there should be a choice, is there anything you see wrong with this? if you were a Roman Catholic and still followed no meat on Fridays, would you feel the school should offer only fish on Fridays, assuming it is a school that offers a normal lunch or should a school that does serve meat be required never to serve pork because there may be some Jews or Muslims that do not eat pork? If the majority of the children in a particular school are vegetarians and a survey is done, with the results showing the parents prefer only vegetarian choices, it would be different. I still think there should be a choice, but I would accept it, if that were the case. It is not and was not.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:14 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,117,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
For me, it is simply: the government deciding what my child should eat. I am not opposed to serving healthy foods in school.
The government (or rather the food industry....) has been deciding what child should eat for decades, where is the outrage that they force milk down kids throat despite most of the human population being lactose intolerant?

If you're not opposed to healthy foods and saving money, then you shouldn't be opposed to vegetarian lunches at schools. Serving vegetarian meals to omnivorous children no more infringes on their rights than serving milk, hamburgers, pizza, etc. Having multiple choices becomes expensive, vegetarian food is something that can satisfy a large class of people. There is no cultural group, besides perhaps some Americans, that object to eating vegetarian meals.

Also, there is nothing particularly "restrictive" about vegetarian meals. School lunches currently are rather "restrictive", basically composed of milk, white flour, sugar, fat, some meat and if their lucky a vegetable. The meals served in this school are much less restrictive, they contain a richer variety of foods and are more nutritious.

Last edited by user_id; 05-18-2013 at 11:28 AM..

Old 05-18-2013, 12:30 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,872,646 times
I grew up in a heavily catholic area, and so the public elementary school always served meatless meals on Fridays. Even though there were catholic parochial schools in the area, about 10% of the public school students were catholic. To accommodate the catholic students the public schools always served fish, grilled cheese or mac & cheese every Friday.

My parents never complained that the catholic church was deciding what the school cafeterias served on Fridays. If mom had wanted us to eat meat she would have packed our lunches. She worked but how long does it take to pack a lunch anyway? A couple of minutes?

Old 05-18-2013, 05:42 PM

32,975 posts, read 36,478,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I grew up in a heavily catholic area, and so the public elementary school always served meatless meals on Fridays. Even though there were catholic parochial schools in the area, about 10% of the public school students were catholic. To accommodate the catholic students the public schools always served fish, grilled cheese or mac & cheese every Friday.

My parents never complained that the catholic church was deciding what the school cafeterias served on Fridays. If mom had wanted us to eat meat she would have packed our lunches. She worked but how long does it take to pack a lunch anyway? A couple of minutes?
Do you think that they might have complained or at least been unhappy if meat was never served?

Old 05-19-2013, 04:48 AM

Quote:

I grew up in a very heavily catholic area in So Calif. Yes, Fridays there were meatless dishes, but there were meat dishes as well. Inside, in the cafeteria they served mostly meatless dishes on Fridays, outside in the snack area we could get hot dogs and sometimes ham sandwiches. I guess it depends on where you grew up and when. As I have said, there should be choices.

user-id: no, the majority of people are not lactose intolerant. Where are you getting that information? Some, yes, but not most...We were never forced to drink milk, but yes, there was a time when milk was served at school. Heck we were raised to think a quart of milk a day was the right amount for kids. But that is a little different, that is one item plus we usually had the choice of milk or juice.

As for being for healthy eating, there are many ways to eat healthy than simply a vegetarian diet. I have nothing against eating meatless, I just think, we should still live in a world where the majority rules and this isn't the case this time. As someone was saying at church yesterday when I brought this up (it was nurse btw) I wonder how much of the food ends up in the trash? I wonder, along with the vegetarian dishes if the kids get chips, for instance? Of what about wheat bread?

Old 05-19-2013, 04:54 AM

Quote:

I grew up in a very heavily catholic area in So Calif. Yes, Fridays there were meatless dishes, but there were meat dishes as well. Inside, in the cafeteria they served mostly meatless dishes on Fridays, outside in the snack area we could get hot dogs and sometimes ham sandwiches. I guess it depends on where you grew up and when. As I have said, there should be choices.

user-id: no, the majority of people are not lactose intolerant. Where are you getting that information? Some, yes, but not most...We were never forced to drink milk, but yes, there was a time when milk was served at school. Heck we were raised to think a quart of milk a day was the right amount for kids. But that is a little different, that is one item plus we usually had the choice of milk or juice.

As for being for healthy eating, there are many ways to eat healthy than simply a vegetarian diet. I have nothing against eating meatless, I just think, we should still live in a world where the majority rules and this isn't the case this time. As someone was saying at church yesterday when I brought this up (it was nurse btw) I wonder how much of the food ends up in the trash? I wonder, along with the vegetarian dishes if the kids get chips, for instance? Of what about wheat bread? I have to say, it is more important for kids to get a hot meal, especially if they live in an area where healthy eating isn't practiced than it is for them to get introduced to foods most of them will never eat or eat again. I just don't buy this crap, truthfully.

When we were living in So Ca and my kids were elementary age, they were bussed to an elementary school that was in a minority section of town and very poor. There was a breakfast program and breakfast costs a dime. (this was the early 70s) Of course they wanted to eat at school a couple days a week. I, not only objected to the breakfast menu but knew my kids should be paying more than a dime to eat. I discussed this with the principal and here is what I was told: first, there was no graduated payment. Because of the situation breakfast had to be offered for a dime and as for the menu: ok, hot dogs are not what most of us feed our kids for lunch, but as he told me: better for a kid to have a hot dog than no breakfast at all. You know what, he was 100% right. This is the kind of foods these kids eat at home and many of the foods we think should be introduced or offered are so out of their comfort zone they will just toss them.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:31 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,872,646 times
Do some people really think that kids need meat at all three meals each day? If they are really concerned about their children missing one serving of meat they could always serve them double bacon for breakfast and an extra burger patty for dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food