Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 05:52 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,260,829 times

Advertisements

Anyone have a recipe for vegan pumpkin pie? I didn't see it in the recipe thread. I love pumpkin pie, but my husband hates it. Such a dilemma whether to make a whole pie or not. I'm hoping for a recipe that freezes well. If you post it in the recipe thread, just LMK. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 05:58 PM

579 posts, read 433,098 times
Our spread in the past has usually been:

Celebration Roast and/or mac and cheese
Mashed potatoes, veg gravy
Stuffing - I like Mark Bittman's recipe
Green beans
Sweet potatoes
Roasted brussel sprouts, but I was the only one who ate them
Cranberry sauce
Blueberry-raspberry pie (not a big pumpkin pie fan)

Old 11-04-2015, 03:39 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
I suspect that this year's Thanksgiving Dinner will be mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli, as we'll be going to my spouses Aunt's and Uncle's home, and unable to transport food we prepared ourselves at home.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:56 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,260,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I suspect that this year's Thanksgiving Dinner will be mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli, as we'll be going to my spouses Aunt's and Uncle's home, and unable to transport food we prepared ourselves at home.
And I guess when you get home, you'll get some protein into you! My husband and I once had to eat potatoes and broccoli at a wedding. This is what the caterer promised the bride would be a "vegetarian dinner". As soon as we got home, we stuffed our faces. We were so hungry!

Old 11-04-2015, 08:21 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,343,712 times
I'll tell you what it won't be. One of those rubber Tufurkey fake turkeys. We tried one about 10 years ago and it was absolutely inedible. I find it's best to make a traditional type Thanksgiving dinner and just leave out the turkey, much like scatterthunder described. It's delicious that way, and totally filling..

Old 11-04-2015, 09:13 AM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
And I guess when you get home, you'll get some protein into you!
That'll be a full day later, so hopefully we'll find something open on Thanksgiving, on our way back to the Hampton Inn.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:57 AM

5,193 posts, read 5,764,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Why not get there early enough to shop and then prepare your protein to share with the other feasters? You get to enjoy a protein-rich feast and introduce a delicacy that perhaps others have not savoured.

Old 11-04-2015, 01:43 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,889,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbjbb View Post
I am fixing for both myself (vegan/gluten free) and family (regular). They will get all the traditional stuff, but here's the menu plan:

Turkey, stuffing, giblet gravy, mac & cheese (all for the regular)
Roasted acorn squash with an apple but stuffing, vegan mac & cheese (for me)
Vegan mashed potatoes, green beans, roasted potatoes, carrots, onions, celery and brussel sprouts, cranberry fruited jello/salad for all

vegan apple pie (for me), 2 pumpkin pies for family
Water/tea/kool aid for drinks.
Curious as to how you're making your apple pie's crust gluten-free. I'm always interested in gluten free baking tips. Do you have a good recipe? (And...my apple pie is naturally vegan, what do you have to do differently to make your's vegan?)

Old 11-04-2015, 02:22 PM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
Why not get there early enough to shop and then prepare your protein to share with the other feasters?
We won't have any place to prepare anything. This is one of those "it sucks" situations. With as many years as vegetarians behind us, we recognize that sometimes the way things are don't allow for idyllic perfection.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:16 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,292,532 times
It's not that you need a high protein item on your plate all the time. That has been disproven. Most food has protein, so if you eat a variety throughout the day, you'll get enough.

The problem with holiday meals sans meat is they tend to be starchy and sugary, which makes protein all the more important.

But anyways...one year I made the traditional sides and a pot of pinto beans cooked with poultry spice. Topped with gravy I made from veg broth, I could not get enough of those beans. I would wake up in the morning craving them til they were gone.

Another time I made a savory pie with mixed veg coated in just a bit of white wine bechamel and poultry spices. The omnis gobbled it right up too.

I will make those beans or breaded, fried tofu slices with gravy and all the sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food