Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 04:03 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLikeable View Post
I won't make you choose but 15 years from now when your suffering from chronic disease you'll wish you made the change.
Oh boy Eating protein and fat is part of a balanced diet. The oldest people in the world over 110 ate meat all of their lives. Such FUD.

It's ok to not like meat but don't try and work that angle.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:54 PM

12,852 posts, read 9,067,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
If you really don't know the answer to that, you are on the wrong forum.
Oh I we'll know the answer. And I know where my foist comes from. I've milked cows. I've collected eggs. I've butchered cows. I've killed things I've eaten. I know where sausage comes from. I don't object to your choices but don't object to mine. Our argument is not what you choose but in you presuming to tell us.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:04 PM

85 posts, read 67,318 times
Quote:
Not really valid if the choice kills you
That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. Driving your car can kill you, crossing the street can kill you, drinking too much, smoking too much, eating too much can kill you. You can't expect everyone else to choose the same lifestyle as you.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:12 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
OP, if you actually work at a grocery store and you tell customers that they shouldn't be buying the products because it's not good for them . . . don't get too comfortable in that checker uniform. The minute your boss hears you saying that, you're out.

The reason I'm mystified by the vegan attitude is because humans are omnivores, and you can't get proper nutrition from a vegan diet.

There is no vegan source of B12, for example, necessary for life.

Also, long term vegans look sick typically, to me. Their skin is dull and lifeless, their hair is flat and thin and doesn't shine.

For those who are against the practices of the meat industry, I couldn't agree more. The industry is incredibly callous about the pain and fear of animals. Heartless. But that's another discussion.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:16 PM

6,308 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Perhaps it's the "my way is the only way" attitude. I eat meat, and I couldn't care less about what anyone else eats. My only request is that others respect my beliefs and practices as much as I respect theirs. I feel no obligation to point out flaws in a vegan diet, so why should a stranger feel compelled to admonish me for my dietary choices?
Yep, not a big fan of "my way" Attitude and opinion based movies that don't hold up to scrutiny no matter what the cause. Such a put off,especially when there is the assumption that others haven't done their research .

Old 08-16-2017, 08:16 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
OP, if you actually work at a grocery store and you tell customers that they shouldn't be buying the products because it's not good for them . . . don't get too comfortable in that checker uniform. The minute your boss hears you saying that, you're out.

The reason I'm mystified by the vegan attitude is because humans are omnivores, and you can't get proper nutrition from a vegan diet.

There is no vegan source of B12, for example, necessary for life.

Also, long term vegans look sick typically, to me. Their skin is dull and lifeless, their hair is flat and thin and doesn't shine.

For those who are against the practices of the meat industry, I couldn't agree more. The industry is incredibly callous about the pain and fear of animals. Heartless. But that's another discussion.
An absolute myth. A vegan diet can be a very healthy one. For anyone worrying about lacking certain nutrients, there are supplements available.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:16 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Oh I we'll know the answer. And I know where my foist comes from. I've milked cows. I've collected eggs. I've butchered cows. I've killed things I've eaten. I know where sausage comes from. I don't object to your choices but don't object to mine. Our argument is not what you choose but in you presuming to tell us.
My point was, the Vegetarian and Vegan Food forum is probably not the right one for you.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:31 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Honestly? It's because of people like the OP.

Do NOT comment on peoples food choices at the supermarket, if you did that to me I would report you to a manager.

As to the question in general? I believe we are omnivores. BUT, I believe we should be eating mainly grains, fruit and veggies for health reasons and because it is better for our planet.

For our house? We eat vegetarian (usually) 5 days a week. Vegan does not appeal to me at all, that would be too limiting for me to be able to enjoy food.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-16-2017, 10:49 AM

923 posts, read 527,220 times
Quote:
Made my mom watch " What the health". The movie talks about the dangers of eating animal products. Short term and long. Heart disease, diabetes, cancer, osteoporosis. even with out the health issues the toll on the earth is unimaginable. I like this movie because it breaks it down with the facts, doctors, nutritionist and people who were actually going through these diseases. I work at a grocery store and I see people spend $100 or more on junk food and call it " necessity". And sometimes Ill ask " Where are the fruits and vegetables?" or " Wheres the real food?, this stuffs bad for you!". Deep down they know its bad but people do it ANYWAY! one lady even replied " Well.. I'm gonna die someday" as if that justifies living on junk 24 hours a day. The truth is people want to be lied to. They don't want someone telling them that they're favorite food could lead to an untimely death. After my mom saw the documentary she buys a fryer ( to fry foods) a week later. And its just proof that most are so brainwashed by the media so much that even when the truth is revealed they won't accept it. How can we change the world if the world doesn't want to be changed?
The most popular food groups are(in order): I just did a simple google search, take it for what it's worth
Dairy
Fruits
Grains, beans, legumes
Meat
Confections
Vegetables

I do believe in balance, and home cooked meals. I believe in locally sourced food. I believe everyone is different and should eat what is best for THEM.

I also believe that people should visit where their food comes from rather than watching some "documentary" or reading propaganda.

I'd also suggest EVERYONE to actually visit a "factory farm". I think everyone will be surprised, it's NOT what the media shows.

To each their own, eat what you want, do what you want. Intelligent people can read through the BS.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:08 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
Quote:
Deep down they know its bad but people do it ANYWAY
This is what I personally dislike about Veganism.

The holier-than-thou, pompous attitudes of many vegans and vegetarians.

It's like atheists or homosexuals. Some of them have to get all over people about THEIR OWN life choices.

You do you, be happy, and leave the rest of us alone.

Quote:
its just proof that most are so brainwashed by the media
Pot, meet Kettle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food