Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 02:41 AM

428 posts, read 1,187,046 times

Advertisements

I very occasionally miss tuna sandwiches and mcdonalds cheeseburgers, gross I know. I've been veg for over 2 years and overall, after a few intense cravings in the beginning I really don't miss meat. I am suprised sometimes when I think about it because I really used to love steak and chicken.
Going from vegetarian to vegan has been much much harder for me and i'm not completely there yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 08:18 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,863,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drowningintherain2 View Post
Going from vegetarian to vegan has been much much harder for me and i'm not completely there yet.
I agree -- I think that's the hardest step to take!

Old 10-13-2008, 11:07 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,870,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
Me too - ice cream and the occasional bit of (rennetless) cheese are my downfall.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:01 AM

5,169 posts, read 11,460,237 times
I don't really miss any of the food I ate in my youth (went veg in my early 20's). I found that veggie food is very tasty and interesting, especially indian and thai cuisine.
Meat does not appeal to me at all, when I think of where it comes from. It is downright repulsive to me.

forum rules, please read them

Old 10-14-2008, 11:02 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,790,526 times
I've been a vegetarian for five years now, and only occasionally miss turkey and duck.

But I think the missing is more in my mind if I let myself think about it, because if I happen to catch the aroma of meat or fowl being cooked somewhere, the smell actually makes me feel a bit queasy. Not pleasant.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:50 PM

9,904 posts, read 13,925,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
If you have not been a vegetarian your whole life, perhaps you miss some foods you used to enjoy. I've been a veggy for about twenty-five years (I'm 59). A couple of things I miss... Scrapple either fried thin and crispy or thick and browned on the outside and soft inside. Served along with scrambled eggs, perhaps on toast as a breakfast sandwich. Tuna salad, this is a craving I've had for years. Used to be served at the cafeteria at work in a quartered tomato on a bed of green lettuce. .... I've got to stop writing now
Can't help you with the tuna salad qw, but what about making some bubble and squeak to go with your scrambled eggs and toast?
I realise the flavour would be different but it's still pretty tasty and the texture sounds like it might be similar. NOT that I've ever had this scrapple thing of which you speak.

Bubble and squeak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I failed at my only concerted effort to be a vegetarian over 20 years ago but as I live with a vegetarian I spend a great deal of time vegetarianizing (like my new word? ) a lot of my meals. It's hardly worth the drama making 2 versions of dinner in such a small household. As it turns out my meat consumption has dropped considerably.

My vegetarian, for some reason, misses Lambs fry and bacon!!! bluk!

Old 10-19-2008, 09:12 PM

184 posts, read 677,630 times
I don't miss the actual meat but I occasionally make my favorite ole meat dishes fake: I love faux "chicken" & dumplings. & faux biscuits & gravy are so awesome.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:51 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,853,351 times
Pizza with dairy cheese, for sure. I feel better about it, though, after I read Neal Barnard's latest book and learned about the opiates in the dairy cheese...it isn't my imagination that the cravings have a physiological basis. It is easier to fight off cravings if I know what I am dealing with.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:29 PM

947 posts, read 3,414,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
Me too Me Too!!!
Why...??? I would Love to be VEGAN by the end of this year... well maybe after all the holidays...
I am however Mostly Vegan at home now but when I am out, as everyone knows it is just a difficult task to always find foods that will be a good enough meal, other than the silly iceberg lettuce salad, that is Vegan...

And foods that I miss.... I would have to say cheese as well... just seems like something is missing w/o that slice on even a veggie sandwich.
But still sooo glad to be veg and will never go back, even though sometimes it feels like everyone around me, actually that I am eating "different" than everyone else around me... Ugh, yeah his or her sandwich/meal may look good... at that moment!

Old 10-22-2008, 08:59 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,918,226 times
Nothing. I literally miss nothing. I became a veggie around the age of 15 and am 33 now. My daughter (preteen) has never had meat in her life and has no desire either. My husband occasionally eats meat when we go to restaurants and neither one of us even bats an eye. I am Ukrainian though, and did not eat the traditional American meat foods, or when I did, I did not like them that much when I was a child, nor did I like the traditional Eastern European amimal foods either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food