Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 05:19 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,232,381 times

Advertisements

cheeseburgers
Chicago style hot dogs
Gyros sandwiches

none of which are good for you anyway, but those i do miss.

otherwise, i can completely live without it and live off of beans, rice, pasta and tofu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 06:54 PM

719 posts, read 2,665,953 times
Marinara meatball sandwiches.
Cabbage rolls.
Beef tacos.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:09 PM

727 posts, read 1,890,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I don't really miss any of the food I ate in my youth (went veg in my early 20's). I found that veggie food is very tasty and interesting, especially indian and thai cuisine.
Meat does not appeal to me at all, when I think of where it comes from. It is downright repulsive to me.
I have to find Veggie food that appeals to me more. I was a vegetarian for 20 years off and on(I'm only 32) and just two years ago I went back to my carnivore ways. Now I wanna go back to being a vegetarian but the things I'll miss are Steak-umms and basically anything seafood. And I'll probably sneak and have my junk every now and then but my mindstate is to do the least harm as possible!!

Old 09-30-2009, 07:24 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,852,547 times
I've been vegetarian for over ten years now, and I don't miss any foods at all. I've added so many foods and recipes to my diet that I have endless variety. When I cook my veggie dishes for my carnivore friends they can't believe they don't contain meat.

A couple of years ago I won a chili cook off with my vegetarian chili. The judges dug interrogated me about the ingredients because they were certain it had to contain meat.

Every time I look into the soft eyes of a cow or lamb, or read about the intelligence of pigs I know that I made a good choice.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:49 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,671,598 times
i'm vegan and i don't miss any meat - i do miss plain yogurt (soy & coconut yogurts are good enough for flavored varieties, but not plain - they're too sweet!) and some cheeses like feta and bleu.

a lot of people have talked about "cheating" in this thread - i'm of the opinion that if you slip up and eat some cheese or a hamburger once in a long while, or even once a week, you're still putting a lot less money into those messed up industries. people shouldn't beat up on themselves for giving in to temptation, or politeness, or tradition now and then. it's not a religion, it's a diet you chose for yourself!

Old 10-01-2009, 07:22 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,824,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
it's not a religion, it's a diet you chose for yourself!
You'd never know that, though, by how shaming so many vegans are toward anyone who isn't 100%.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:59 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,671,598 times
i guess, i've come across a lot more people who are self righteous *to* vegans than vegans who are self righteous to other people.

i post on a vegan forum and there are people of all dietary stripes there - there are a couple of people who are snotty to people who aren't vegan or people who "cheat", but most people are perfectly accepting.

the stereotypical vegan snobs definitely do exist, but i don't think they're in the majority. they're just the ones who yap the loudest. and they're usually the same ones who go back to being omni after a few years and spend the rest of their lives making fun of vegans.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:28 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,831,342 times
Quote:
i guess, i've come across a lot more people who are self righteous *to* vegans than vegans who are self righteous to other people.
^^This.^^

Just check out some of the comments posted on other City-Data forums.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:20 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,824,454 times
Quote:
I've come across those, too. I guess I expect better from vegans, however! Compassion for animals and compassion for humans...both are nice.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:39 PM

65 posts, read 191,868 times
I have also been veg for about 25 years, though I am 39. I went veg after reading some PETA stuff at age 15 though I later learned to detest PETA for their practices and terrorist-like idiocy. That said, I miss a burger. I was recently in a grill in Napa and it smelled so good, I looked at the menu and I saw this veggie burger and all I could think was WTF????? A freakin Boca, I'm on vacation! I went nuts and ordered a seared ahi tuna burger, so shoot me. It was AWESOME! I figure if I save animals for 25 years a single tuna burger shouldn't destroy my karma. And I am not repentant. I will probably go nuts in 25 more years and kill another fish, or maybe a shrimp. Bwah ha ha hah a....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food