Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 09:42 PM

7 posts, read 15,426 times

Advertisements

hi..went vegetarian late august...so been a couple of months for me.... i really didnt seem to eat all that much red meat before...lol...i was famous for going to a steak house and ordering a steak then after about 3 bites, looking around to whoever was at the table and begging to trade meals, usually my dad would trade with me...lol... and being from Texas well kinda got noticed...lol

anyways... as the days are passing...i am trying alot of new things and finding alot of items that i am really enjoying.... i still have egg beaters on occasion but have given up dairy.... lol...backwards huh? I do find on occasion that i miss some things.... not really miss them..but like the thought passing through my mind...hmmm i used to like that. alot.lol

egg rolls
chicken and dumplings
tuna
clam chowder

lol..my favorite is when a really good friend that can really cook will make alot of something and then tell me ..hey take this to your parents.... lol..and it is like a favorite meal of mine....or used to be...chicken and dumplings, lol
but on the flip side....i am finding if i find another way to make the meals i think i miss...then i dont' miss them.... i still get them ....just differently!

I like my new lifestyle. i have lost some weight from this change and my blood sugar is more consistent and lower! Those are definite bonuses to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 08:28 PM

83 posts, read 259,881 times
i have tried to do vegan style but i can't fight the temptation.. hehehe i really miss those hamburger patties when i tried it..

Old 11-06-2008, 08:34 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,790,526 times
Oddly enough, some days I get a hankerin' for Kentucky Fried Chicken...

Old 11-12-2008, 08:35 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,482,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephthys View Post
I'm sure if you watch this video

http://www.meat.org

you will never want to eat meat again.

Just warning you, it might embed some awful images in your head. Im not promoting the video or anything but it swayed my decision to never eat meat again.
the cruelty is a big reason I don't eat red meat. Still eat chicken and fish but moving away from the chicken, too.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:44 PM

2 posts, read 5,665 times
i just stopped eating all meat except seafood the day before thanksgiving because peta sent me a video on the turkeys and then i saw more on pigs and cows. i still had to cook a bird for a party but i didnt eat it! it is just horrible what those animals have to go through. it really makes sense that the only reason we should ever eat meat is if we can't find plant foods. but i think fish are there for our health. when i eat fish i feel great and it stops my hands from cramping up. its not like the fish are forced to sit one way their whole lifes and bathe in their own feces and then skined alive like pigs and such. for some reason it just makes since to me to eat of out the sea but not other meats. fish and shell fish and such just aren't the same as those other animals.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:38 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,692,452 times
^^

What about farmed fish? They are fed sea junk, live in feces, can't swim, get into fights becuase of the stress and closeness. A fish suffocates when taken out of the water.

If you want to eat fish, fine, really, fine. If you want to say that it helps your hand cramping, fine.

But do not fool yourself or say things that are not true.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:28 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,863,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondraught View Post
i just stopped eating all meat except seafood the day before thanksgiving because peta sent me a video on the turkeys and then i saw more on pigs and cows. i still had to cook a bird for a party but i didnt eat it! it is just horrible what those animals have to go through. it really makes sense that the only reason we should ever eat meat is if we can't find plant foods. but i think fish are there for our health. when i eat fish i feel great and it stops my hands from cramping up. its not like the fish are forced to sit one way their whole lifes and bathe in their own feces and then skined alive like pigs and such. for some reason it just makes since to me to eat of out the sea but not other meats. fish and shell fish and such just aren't the same as those other animals.
I'm glad that you've stopped eating red meat, but I have to admit that I don't understand the distinction you make between animals on land and those living in the ocean.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:51 PM

5,169 posts, read 11,460,237 times
Just wanted to mention that Whole Foods and a lot of health food stores sell a "fake chicken" and "tuna" salad that is vegan and if you crave the texture of chicken or tuna salad it is a good substitute. They are both pretty tasty!

forum rules, please read them

Old 01-28-2009, 04:38 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,138,631 times
I'm one of those vegetarians (20+ years now) who never really "missed" meat. No cravings for steak or bacon or burgurs. Until a few years ago I even avoided the "fake meat" (e.g. Boca Burgers) products.

The one thing I sometimes miss is salmon. It's the social aspect. I love the lemon and the capers and the onion. Seeing the whole fish on a platter. Sipping Champagne with friends. Plus, I hear those fatty fish are good for heart health (a problem in my family ~sigh~).

So for me, it's the cultural and social stuff. I've never visted Maine; would I eat a lobster roll if I went there on vacation??? What about having crab in Alaska?

These are the tough questions for me.

p.s. I finally added Bocca Burgers to my diet so that I ~could~ have a burger at social gathering. I find them better than the "real thing" and I've even turned some non-veggie friends onto them. Now I have to fight them off at local BBQs.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:41 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,108,383 times
My husband has been a veggie for over 25 years. He says he missed pork/bacon...that's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food