Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 03:34 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenAroundTheBlock View Post
I'd like to put another spin on Ventura, if I may. While I do agree there are a lot of positives, I think there were many negatives too, at least for me. I lived there for 10 years and found it a little slow paced for me. There really isn't that much to do there as far as grown up entertainment goes. If you like the beach, hiking, and just your average things to do as in most small towns, you'll really enjoy life there. If not, you'll have to drive down to LA to experience the arts and entertainment. We avoided that due to the distance most of the time.

We we first moved there we found the job market pretty lean as well. Are you moving there with a job? If not, you may experience the same situation. There aren't a lot of industry jobs in the area. Small companies, education, retail, county government jobs are mostly what you'll find.

The weather can be pretty foggy especially if you live in the beach areas. I remember always being chilly when I lived there, even up in the Montalvo areas (away from the beach). But, that's just me, I prefer warmer weather.

It's a great place to raise a family, which I did while living there. There are plenty of things that kids like to do there. As far as being single adult, I can't imagine that the few decent places to hang out wouldn't get old after awhile.

Enjoying anywhere really depends on your personal tastes and your own personal situation. I just wanted to make mention of some of the the things that didn't appeal to me to put into your decision making process.
I'll add as one other thing to consider (not really a negative) for why I didn't buy in Ventura but rather Moorpark and later Thousand Oaks: it's a little too far from jobs in the LA metro. If you have a job and keep a job near Ventura (Like at Point Mugu where I worked) or Port Hueneme or one of the other places on the Oxnard Plain, then you are OK. But I am a "Plan B" type of guy, figuring jobs might not last forever. With that, I was a little more comfortable being further east. Turns out it worked out for me as I ended up worker later in Canoga Park and Woodland Hills.

But if jobs weren't an issue, I'd consider Ventura, sort of like a poor man's Santa Barbara.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 04:52 PM

640 posts, read 3,075,275 times
Totally agree Charles. After living there for the time I did, and learning about the surrounding areas, I would have loved to pick Thousand Oaks or even Agoura before Ventura. That is so true about Ventura being the poor man's Santa Barbara. Great analogy!

Old 06-06-2009, 11:07 PM

35 posts, read 208,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenAroundTheBlock View Post
Totally agree Charles. After living there for the time I did, and learning about the surrounding areas, I would have loved to pick Thousand Oaks or even Agoura before Ventura. That is so true about Ventura being the poor man's Santa Barbara. Great analogy!

Is there a substantial difference in the climate between Ventura and Thousand Oaks ? I hear it gets alot warmer in Thousand Oaks, this true?

Old 06-07-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doceddie View Post
Is there a substantial difference in the climate between Ventura and Thousand Oaks ? I hear it gets alot warmer in Thousand Oaks, this true?

Yes, Ventura is more moderate because it's close to the ocean. TO gets into the 90s in the hottest part of summer. Also, Ventura is more likely to have foggy mornings and foggy days (especially in late spring early summer).

You wouldn't need an air conditioner in Ventura and, though I rarely used mine in TO (because I'm too cheap), you need one in TO for a couple months in summer.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:27 AM

43 posts, read 196,595 times
Tell me about the weather in Camarillo. Does it get pretty hot there too, since it's further from the Ocean. We found a place there, but it has no air conditioner, which will be a first for us.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiagreengal View Post
Tell me about the weather in Camarillo. Does it get pretty hot there too, since it's further from the Ocean. We found a place there, but it has no air conditioner, which will be a first for us.

A little warmer than Ventura but not enough to invest in an air conditioner. You may get 5-10 days a year, especially during Santa Ana wind events, when the temp hits 85F maybe 90F on a freak day, but those are rare.

Camarillo weather is as close to perfect as you can get.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:56 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Californiagreengal,

I have never lived in a place with an airconditioner. Never knew that homes came with them untill I was 20 years old and visiting Simi Valley. I grew up on the coast in Port Hueneme and have lived for the past 20 years in Oxnard. It is debatable if you will need air in Camarillo or not. Usually everything on the west side of the Conejo Grade benefits from the ocean breezes. Yes it will be warmer in Camarillo than in Oxnard or Ventura, but not in the 90's or 100's like it may be further inland.

One thing to say about Ventura. I work for Community Memorial Hospital and for those that want to visit, we have an ongoing art exibit on the first floor. The hospital has parterened with local artist to show their work. On top of that the art is for sale. Every three months the paintings are changed and newer items are put up. As art is in the eye of the beholder, some of the painings are very good, and some I just don't understand. Something for everyone I guess.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:40 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,146,869 times
I am about to move to downtown Ventura. I don't have any first hand knowledge but what I like about it is all the sporting activities during the day and the nightlife looks decent. The weather is ideal for me.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:22 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,883 times
Ventura's draws have everything to do with being outside. If you don't have a bike, get one, ride the beach and Ojai trails or tootle around the neighborhood. Spend time walking rustic beaches. Find meditative solitude with waves and wildlife sitting on seawall ruins of the old highway at Emmawood. The passing train's engineer waves and sounds the horn. The view from Grant Park has yet to get old for me after almost 25 years. Go around the bend to Arroyo Verde Park and stretch the old muscles on the hillside trails.

Ventura is not known for flash and fame. It's not Santa Barbara south. Ventura in and of itself is not that special, just a place along the way that happens to be situated in a geographic nook with mild weather, calm seas and where the sights are not bad. Then again, it's precisely these things that attract those who come to the area and stay -- low key, unpretentious, soft in the middle, rough around the edges. It is what it is. If Ventura is too cold or too bland, Santa Barbara and Thousand Oaks beckon. Ventura, indifferent, doesn't care. It remains a place of cool breezes, sometimes fog, sometimes not, chain stores and local "dives," affectionately so.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:52 PM

35 posts, read 208,082 times
Nice account. thnks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County