Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 11:16 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,966,983 times

Advertisements

I have never skied in my life. I am kinda scared too. I have one bad knee, I'd be afraid of it "popping" out as it does on occasion. It is possible to learn to ski with a bad knee, and to learn ice skating? Or should I just stick to shoe shoeing or snowmobiling(sp?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 12:30 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,838,462 times
We open for limited skiing this Sat. here at Sugarbush. Special event this Sat night we are very excited about. Annual New England Ski Museum banquet at the Bush and we are honoring Stein Erickson, former Director of Skiing at Sugarbush.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:36 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,670,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz longue View Post
I thought that since snow is on the horizon, and our first skiing related question just appeared for the season...I'd bring this thread up.

Think Snow!

David
Two people I work with got their first runs in a week ago. They hiked up the mountain and made a few runs. It wasn't great, but they had 6 to 8 inchs. By the way, they didn't use their good skis.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:21 PM

46 posts, read 220,778 times
Being the avid skier that you are, do you have memberships or belong to a ski club? Can you recommend the most affordable way to ski- Vermonter days, etc? I'd like to learn more when I move back, but can't afford to go regularly. Maybe a season pass bought during a sale is the way to go? I wish there were still local areas to learn on! I used to get to go for free when I taught at a school that had a deal with Jay. That was great! And then my friend knew the guys in the rental area! Free skis! Those were the days. I hope to get some equipment at some point, which I know would be helpful. My father in law would come up from CT all the time to ski, and it would be fun to go with him.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:56 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,793,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiner View Post
Being the avid skier that you are, do you have memberships or belong to a ski club? Can you recommend the most affordable way to ski- Vermonter days, etc? I'd like to learn more when I move back, but can't afford to go regularly. Maybe a season pass bought during a sale is the way to go? I wish there were still local areas to learn on! I used to get to go for free when I taught at a school that had a deal with Jay. That was great! And then my friend knew the guys in the rental area! Free skis! Those were the days. I hope to get some equipment at some point, which I know would be helpful. My father in law would come up from CT all the time to ski, and it would be fun to go with him.
Burlington Ski Club has an email list of deals etc and they organize trips. They've saved me loads, although they often schedule trips on days I'm never available

There are still local areas to learn on. Even friendly instructors here at City-Data

I just attended the annual Cochran's ski sale with some friends/clients I helped find a home for a couple of years ago...There are some real steals on equipment at those sales...

Think Snow!

David

Old 11-17-2007, 03:43 PM

267 posts, read 1,837,788 times
We decided to go to Smugglers Notch this year to try skiing. They have a program for little ones which is great for my son and also childcare so our baby can be nice and warm inside. We can't wait to go! Should we buy some ski clothes or do they have rental pants and jackets? What kind of shoes do you where when you go skiing? If we decide to buy some clothes what are essentials to wear?

Old 11-17-2007, 04:03 PM

You'll buy or borrow some ski clothes. I'm not aware of rental clothes. Just as you rent bowling shoes though, you'll rent ski boots. I guess bowling balls would be analogous to skis in my clunky metaphor...

THINK SNOW!

Old 11-18-2007, 12:58 PM

26 posts, read 82,150 times
I tried skiing once as a teenager and got so frustrated I walked down the mountain. We're moving to Vermont in the next few months. Wanna teach me and my family how to ski?

Old 11-18-2007, 04:32 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,970,232 times
I also tried skiing once and could not handle it...but we found snowboarding a lot easier and I love it...

Old 11-19-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromPA View Post
I tried skiing once as a teenager and got so frustrated I walked down the mountain. We're moving to Vermont in the next few months. Wanna teach me and my family how to ski?
I'd be happy to! I'll start you at the bottom of the mountain though, if you don't mind: An hour at the bottom where it's flat, then we get on the smallest lift ...and an hour later you'll be linking turns and your grin muscles will be sore!

What part of VT are you moving to?

David Beckett
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont