Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 09:57 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,830,154 times

Advertisements

Speaking of those lost local ski hills there is a great organization, NELSAP, that I am involved with that tracks these lost ski hills in NE. Vermont has lost over 100 of these small local hills.
Home | New England Lost Ski Areas Project

the Vermont list
Lost Vermont Ski Areas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 10:24 PM

46 posts, read 220,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
Speaking of those lost local ski hills there is a great organization, NELSAP, that I am involved with that tracks these lost ski hills in NE. Vermont has lost over 100 of these small local hills.
Home | New England Lost Ski Areas Project

the Vermont list
Lost Vermont Ski Areas
I've seen a hill on the way to my parent's house, on Rt. 25 between Waits River and Bradford. It looks ancient, and maybe privately owned. I think that someone said it's still operational, but I've never seen it running. It seems that you would ski right into the road at the bottom of the run! I guess you need to be great at turning as a prerequisite! Have you ever heard of it? It's not a mountain by any means.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:25 PM

46 posts, read 220,681 times
I put your sites in my favorites, by the way, for future reference! Thank you! I can't wait to explore them and learn the history of skiing in VT & NE.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiner View Post
I've seen a hill on the way to my parent's house, on Rt. 25 between Waits River and Bradford. It looks ancient, and maybe privately owned. I think that someone said it's still operational, but I've never seen it running. It seems that you would ski right into the road at the bottom of the run! I guess you need to be great at turning as a prerequisite! Have you ever heard of it? It's not a mountain by any means.
By your description I assume your talking about the Northeast Slopes Ski hill in Corinth. It's listed as still open but there is a question whether it will open this season.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:54 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,789,771 times
Bolton Valley -

With the highest base elevation in the state, it's often a pretty good choice ...

Particularly this week - since they have been buried this weekend, ...and my spies tell me they are charging 10 bucks a day all week...

It should be even better when Winter starts...

David Beckett

Old 12-17-2007, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz longue View Post
Bolton Valley -

With the highest base elevation in the state, it's often a pretty good choice ...

Particularly this week - since they have been buried this weekend, ...and my spies tell me they are charging 10 bucks a day all week...

It should be even better when Winter starts...

David Beckett
Bolton is also a great place for night skiing.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:38 PM

34 posts, read 180,402 times
Default Skiing in Vermont?

Hi All,

I used to visit Vermont quite often when I was a kid way back in the 1970's , as my sister lived in Montpelier. I have great memories of visiting Stowe, Smuggler's Notch, the dairy farms, and many other places, but wasn't a skier.

Currently I live in San Francisco and learned to ski at Squaw about 15yrs ago. I'm a solid intermediate and once warmed up can ski some Black diamonds. All my skiing as an adult has been in the West, Tahoe, Colorado (Steamboat, Vail, Aspen), Utah (Park City) etc.

I was thinking about planning a ski vacation to Vermont, no doubt, mostly for nostaglia reasoning. What do you think? Shoud I save my nostaglia trip back to Vermont for the summer or come East to ski?

Old 12-24-2007, 08:15 AM

226 posts, read 694,101 times
IMHO, Vermont is nicer in the summer. There's less to do in the winter that doesn't involve freezing outdoors or shopping. (There are many festivals and parades when the weather's a little nicer.) I definitely wouldn't come in February though - the weather sometimes drops well below freezing. Through the early spring, we usually have a lot of mud and gray weather, though last year, the mud didn't really come to Burlington.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:25 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,136,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendlyflyer View Post
Shoud I save my nostaglia trip back to Vermont for the summer or come East to ski?
First, let me say that I am not a skier. My dad took up skiing when he was in his 40s, but like you he learned it out west, at Tahoe and Snowbird. My sister lives in Mass. and I live in Vermont near several ski areas, but Dad has never, ever come up here to ski. He disdains eastern skiing conditions. Every year he makes 1-2 trips out west to ski, and he visits us other times. You might want to talk to someone who has skied both places.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:56 PM

34 posts, read 180,402 times
Sherylcatmom and Goatwoodward, Thank you for your input. I'll probably kept my nostaglia trip for the summer when I can also do some hiking.

Most of the skiers that I have meet that have skied in the East and West, rave about Western skiing, but every so often someone tells me about the ambiance of a place like Stowe that is just so unique or the awesome conditions one can find at Jay Peak. I really want to go back to the Von Trapp Lodge for a visit too.

Happy Holidays,
friendlyflyer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont