Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 06:03 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
There's less to do in the winter that doesn't involve freezing outdoors or shopping.
You obviously do not work for the Vermont Dept of Tourism. I agree with Robert Frost...winter is the best time to visit Vermont, all other seasons are simply a prelude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 07:54 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,141,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
Speaking of those lost local ski hills there is a great organization, NELSAP, that I am involved with that tracks these lost ski hills in NE. Vermont has lost over 100 of these small local hills.
Home | New England Lost Ski Areas Project

the Vermont list
Lost Vermont Ski Areas
Hey that's really cool. I live on Brownell mountain in Williston, and so many people have told me that they skied on or near my property. My wife and I often walk to the top of the mountain, because it's our land. I believe there's still an old car engine up there that was used for the rope tow. Skiing in Williston, who would have thought.

I can see our house on the aerial shot.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:57 PM

24 posts, read 99,442 times
I am enjoying hearing about all these "lost" ski hills. When I was growing up in Chester, there was a rope tow on "The Pinnacle," at the north end of town. There is still a recreation area there (pool, skate ramps, tennis court), and the hill is used for sledding, but I don't know if the tow is still in use. Seems like when we were kids, some of the dads would take turns operating it.

Also on the subject of skiing, my favorite place to ski was Magic Mountain in Londonderry. I moved out west, and haven't been skiing in close to twenty years. Since then, Magic has had a lot of hard times--poor management, not enough snow, etc.--that earned it the nickname "Tragic Mountain." Very sad, as it really was a great place to ski. According to their Web site, however, they are still in operation. Anyone out there know more about how things are going there now?

Old 12-26-2007, 02:16 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,131,098 times
Default Thank you for NELSAP!

I had never heard of it. My friends and I have been enjoying it ever since you posted the link. Thanks for the good fun. :-)

Old 12-26-2007, 09:26 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caprt View Post
Also on the subject of skiing, my favorite place to ski was Magic Mountain in Londonderry. I moved out west, and haven't been skiing in close to twenty years. Since then, Magic has had a lot of hard times--poor management, not enough snow, etc.--that earned it the nickname "Tragic Mountain." Very sad, as it really was a great place to ski. According to their Web site, however, they are still in operation. Anyone out there know more about how things are going there now?
Magic is a very special ski hill.....there is alot of new info about Magic. Here is a link to the Magic threads on the NELSAP forum. Definately one of the most talked about ski area. Lots of threads listed so start with ones with Magic in the thread title. Just in the last few years you could do a pretty good soap opera from what's been going on.
http://www.snowjournal.com/page.php?...ch=magic&sid=1

At present Magic is open, fairly new owners and management and they are trying hard. Got a setback this season as their new expanded snowmaking pond is having trouble with their Act 250 permit so for this season snowmaking is limited.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:19 AM

24 posts, read 99,442 times
Thanks, MRVphotog! I appreciate your reply, and the information about Magic. Glad other people think it is special, too. I will check out the NELSAP forum.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:22 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,785,903 times
I understand Mad River Glen is $3.50 on Tuesday 1/29.

Anybody want to make a few runs? Email me and we can meet. I have an early morning meeting in Burlington every Tuesday, so I'd arrive about 10:30. But 5 hours of skiing for that kind of money sounds darned good to me...

David Beckett

Old 01-28-2008, 06:49 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz longue View Post
I understand Mad River Glen is $3.50 on Tuesday 1/29.

Anybody want to make a few runs? Email me and we can meet. I have an early morning meeting in Burlington every Tuesday, so I'd arrive about 10:30. But 5 hours of skiing for that kind of money sounds darned good to me...

David Beckett
*cough* *cough* I think I feel an illness coming on

Have fun if you go!

Old 01-28-2008, 08:52 PM

5 posts, read 14,830 times
Default Skiing in Vermont

Hello everyone, I live in Ohio and we just don't get enough snow. I was thinking of a trip in march to ski Vermont, 3-4 days. What would be my best choice? There are so many. No crowds please, I hate to wait in line.
Like to stay at the resort and would like some night life, live bands would be great. Any ideas???
Mark

Old 01-29-2008, 06:33 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
Can you come during the week? Weekends will be crowded, especially at a resort with the amenities that you want.
I would suggest looking into Stowe - fly to Burlington, VT. Great mountain and lots to do off hill. My favorite areas are Mad River Glen & Sugarbush, but the area they are in is more laid back and quiet than Stowe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont