Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2015, 06:36 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times

Advertisements

Which ones are through Vermont and how far apart are they? How far do residents have to drive to get to the(a) store for bread ,milk , supply's ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 10:45 PM

190 posts, read 652,440 times
Hannafords, Price Chopper, and Shaws are the most common big box stores throughout VT. A couple of the more affluent towns have a "healthy" grocery store, like an organic market or co-op. Most towns at least have a convenience or general store, with the general stores typically being locally owned.

The distance you must travel depends on where you live. If you lived right downtown in a town like Middlebury or Burlington you could walk to the store. Other towns, like Rutland, have more than one grocery store but are not walking-friendly, so a 5-10 minute drive from the center of town.
Most people have to make a special trip to the grocery store. This could be a 15 minute drive, or a 45 minute drive. It all depends on how rural you are. I grew up in Brandon and we had a Grand Union at the time, but it didn't have a great selection and I remember my parents driving 30 minutes to Rutland to go grocery shopping.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:55 AM

Thank you , I assume it's the same for gas stations ?

Old 01-24-2015, 05:29 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,075 times
Aldi is starting to make inroads in Vermont. They are in Rutland, Brattleboro and Bennington but are an eastern/Midwest chain. I sorely miss Aldi up here in Maine. In WV the Adis where we shopped were carrying more and more organic stock as well as name brands, besides their own brands. Personally I found Aldi brands average to good, good enough for us anyway. They're not for everyone, but I liked that they were small, you didn't have 10 brands of this and 15 brands of that, the prices were reasonable and there stock overall was good.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,233 times
If you live in the greater Burlington area, you will be all set with grocery stores and gas stations. For example, there are about 7 grocery stores (Price Chopper, Shaws, Hannaford (2), Trader Joes, City Market, Healthy Living) within a 5 mile radius, and plenty of gas stations.

Other places like Grand Isle, the only grocery store that you'll find is the local gas station!

Where in VT are you referring to?

Old 01-29-2015, 06:07 PM

26 posts, read 31,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Aldi is starting to make inroads in Vermont. They are in Rutland, Brattleboro and Bennington but are an eastern/Midwest chain. I sorely miss Aldi up here in Maine. In WV the Adis where we shopped were carrying more and more organic stock as well as name brands, besides their own brands. Personally I found Aldi brands average to good, good enough for us anyway. They're not for everyone, but I liked that they were small, you didn't have 10 brands of this and 15 brands of that, the prices were reasonable and there stock overall was good.
We have Aldis here, and I love it, I don't buy everything there but a lot of canned goods, etc, sometimes you can get great deals on produce, like cherry tomatoes or the little sunburst yellow tomatoes (I use those for my homemade primavera sauce) and they're generally $3-4 a pint, I catch them at Aldis for .79-.99 and stock up!!

Old 01-30-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFDraftBoard View Post
If you live in the greater Burlington area, you will be all set with grocery stores and gas stations. For example, there are about 7 grocery stores (Price Chopper, Shaws, Hannaford (2), Trader Joes, City Market, Healthy Living) within a 5 mile radius, and plenty of gas stations.

Other places like Grand Isle, the only grocery store that you'll find is the local gas station!

Where in VT are you referring to?
We visit every year around Manchester or Dorset but the question was in general .I would like to retire there but the Mrs wants to be near the kids in NC (ashville) .

Old 02-04-2015, 01:45 PM

35 posts, read 42,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
We visit every year around Manchester or Dorset but the question was in general .I would like to retire there but the Mrs wants to be near the kids in NC (ashville) .
Smart woman. You should pay heed to her. VT is no place to retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont