Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 06:13 PM

18,333 posts, read 26,590,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
I've been thinking about this post and how people move to VT because it's easy to enter politics. The more I thought about it, the more it doesn't make sense, at least to me. Someone had to vote these people into office. I mean, it's not like VT is this weird dictatorship where people are appointed into every branch and level of the state government.

So my point is, either the people in your government lied to you when they were campaigning, in which case you can just vote them out, or the majority of the people who live in VT are in favor of more liberal politics, in which case, get out and vote and endorse the candidates that you like or run for office yourself (after all, it's easy to enter politics there, right?).

That's just my 2 cents on the issue. If you don't vote, you have no right to complain. If you don't get involved, you have no right to complain. But if you don't like the American political system, well... I don't know what to tell you.
The problem is finding good replacements. I voted for Douglas, for example, not because I particularly like him, but to have a check on the circus in operation in the statehouse (a.k.a., the legislature). We have a serious lack of good candidates running for office here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post
Sorry, that the "old timers" have their view, but a lot of folks coming here have the asme fierce independent view that their own states forsake for them. Of course industry is not the same...I walk almost every night to experience the old piano mill we once had and I lament it to my guests. I wholeheartedly respect Vermonters and commend them for having the biggest balls since the beginning of the US! The wimps went south and to the midwest of golden acres!!!! If it weren't for the New Englanders, the Us would not exist! So, Enough said!

The old school way of thinking is gone, so??? You have the ability to attract a much richer segment because of the attention to green living....lo and behold no billboards. I spent over 100k to get here to live like a "poor norther new englander"...it is closer to my soul. Find a way to capitalize upon the carelessness of city dwellers "trying" to live green. Sell them what we do every day..... It's not the outsiders fault, we just need to learn that others want our "lifestyle" and pay big bucks to try and learn what we "do". Work hand in hand with the state plan and it's free advertising. Of course there is bad here, but go away to a big city for 3 months and then take score.
We got enough rich ones already. That's why real estate (and property taxes with it) is through the roof...and the way the state taxes them too, isn't making it attractive to most of them to be a resident...

Old 12-22-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I tell you one thing I will gladly admit now I don't give a damn (again) what anyone thinks...

I do not buy local if it costs more. Buy local is a bunch of crap. We go out of our way to shop in the cheapest places, even if it takes a half hour to get there. I don't CARE about 'poor farmers' or their stories anymore. Bet the state supplements them and if not, well, they can always sell maple syrup to out of staters...

I can't get a job here and I refuse to be 'browbeaten' by rich hippies to buy local when it costs more.

A few month ago I was in Walmart in Claremont, NH. I was speaking with my husband and the lady in front of us and the clerk were both listening. We were talking about this buy local 'crap' VT tries to thrust on people who make such poor wages. Both the clerk AND the lady in front of me agreed. The customer said to me (she was also from VT) "I shop where I can afford. If someone wants to pay my bills, I will buy local." The cashier (another Vermonter) said she traveled an hour to work and would not buy 'local' either.

So, VT, your 'buy local' is yet another fail attempt to 'gain revenue' from locals. The only ones I know who buy local (if it costs more) are out of staters...Or perhaps if someone NEEDS to buy something from the Co op (a good cause in my opinion).

The only local place I shop is the gas station (when we run out of milk) and the cheaper farm stand in WRJ. (with produce from Boston markets).

Sorry if this is harsh but my pockets need the little money we have made in this state.

I hate that ad on the radio for the local computer store...shop us and not the BIG BOX STORES...lol...yeah, I will gladly pay extra to support you..(not)...

I don't care if the fat cats wake up in Montpelier or not, I am so out of here.
If you know the right people, buying local is cheaper than walmart...

Old 12-22-2009, 06:55 PM

819 posts, read 1,499,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
We got enough rich ones already. That's why real estate (and property taxes with it) is through the roof...and the way the state taxes them too, isn't making it attractive to most of them to be a resident...
Ain't that the truth.

In VT our 200K home runs $5500 in taxes vs. $3000 for a home 30% more expensive in another state. I would love to live there full time, but the the #'s don't work now.

I still can't believe that non-residents pay a higher school tax.

Old 12-23-2009, 05:25 AM

274 posts, read 675,543 times
If it were the other way round the residents would complain. It's the VT chip on the shoulder. After all, "we" want rich people to pay, right? And if you own a second home, you "must be rich" (I say this in jest since I own a second home in NH but am just middle class). No one wins. And everyone complains. I really don't understand this board. Everyone is so negative about Vermont, yet there are so many worse places to be. Really, I think the complaining is a systemic problem across America (and I don't think it has anything to do with the past political majority or current). We've become a nation of whiners. Go to any newspaper site from any other state/city and read the reader comments after a story. It is constant complaining and bickering, no matter the issue (shocking, it's not just a Free Press issue!). Now I do love that we live in a country where we can voice our feelings, but seriously...where is the gratitude for the way we get to live versus anywhere else?

Old 12-23-2009, 05:45 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,147,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momnh View Post
I really don't understand this board. Everyone is so negative about Vermont, yet there are so many worse places to be. Really, I think the complaining is a systemic problem across America (and I don't think it has anything to do with the past political majority or current).
I agree. It's not just the Vermont board. Every state forum I've visited is full of negativity. I don't just mean expressing feelings & opinions and sharing one's experiences, but extreme whining, stereotyping, and catastrophizing. Much as I find internet boards very useful and sometimes fun, they also seem to breed rants and arguments.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:06 AM

986 posts, read 2,340,868 times
Quote:
If it were the other way round the residents would complain. It's the VT chip on the shoulder. After all, "we" want rich people to pay, right? And if you own a second home, you "must be rich" (I say this in jest since I own a second home in NH but am just middle class). No one wins. And everyone complains. I really don't understand this board. Everyone is so negative about Vermont, yet there are so many worse places to be. Really, I think the complaining is a systemic problem across America (and I don't think it has anything to do with the past political majority or current). We've become a nation of whiners. Go to any newspaper site from any other state/city and read the reader comments after a story. It is constant complaining and bickering, no matter the issue (shocking, it's not just a Free Press issue!). Now I do love that we live in a country where we can voice our feelings, but seriously...where is the gratitude for the way we get to live versus anywhere else?
You wanna see some hilarious whining, bitching, and moaning? Visit projo.com. The RIers who comment on pretty much everything are pretty funny, though kinda sad and pathetic in a way.

But yes, you are correct. People don't want those people to move here, but they want everyone else to pay for things. I'd be willing to bet those people complaining about big government will complain when the government services are taken away.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:08 AM

894 posts, read 1,566,562 times
Quote:
where is the gratitude for the way we get to live versus anywhere else?
What does VT let you do that you can't do anywhere else?

Old 12-23-2009, 07:17 AM

986 posts, read 2,340,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
What does VT let you do that you can't do anywhere else?
What doesn't VT let you do that you can do elsewhere?

Old 12-23-2009, 07:31 AM

894 posts, read 1,566,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
What doesn't VT let you do that you can do elsewhere?
Build Wal-marts and the like. Keep more of your income. Employ people without extortionate workers compensation costs. Drive on roads that don't destroy tie rods every year. How is that for starters?
So someone tell me what does VT let you do that no place else does?
I can only think of one thing; carry a concealed handgun without a permit.
Anything else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont