Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Dorky Kid Buy a PS3 or an XBox 360 (and why)?
PS3 67 59.29%
XBox 360 46 40.71%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,342 times

Advertisements

Most People Tell Me The PS3 Is Way Better And I Agree It Has Way More Crap That Its Compatible Of Doing Than The 360 Does And The 360 Dies To Fast Any Way People Just Get A Game That Will Last A Life Time I Have Both And Play Both But I Prefer The PS3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 11:07 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,201,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronv View Post
Most People Tell Me The PS3 Is Way Better And I Agree It Has Way More Crap That Its Compatible Of Doing Than The 360 Does And The 360 Dies To Fast Any Way People Just Get A Game That Will Last A Life Time I Have Both And Play Both But I Prefer The PS3

I went to the store yesterday and bought a 360 elite, but took it back a couple of hours later and got a PS3 250 GB. After hearing about how the 360 has a high failure rate in dying out(red ring of death), I didn't want to take the risk. I feel the PS3 is the better deal and plus this is my 3rd PS console,, so I'm more familiar with Sony PS than Xbox. The only con about the PS3 is I can't play my PS2 games on there and the latest GTA is not on there either.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:44 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,174,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I went to the store yesterday and bought a 360 elite, but took it back a couple of hours later and got a PS3 250 GB. After hearing about how the 360 has a high failure rate in dying out(red ring of death), I didn't want to take the risk. I feel the PS3 is the better deal and plus this is my 3rd PS console,, so I'm more familiar with Sony PS than Xbox. The only con about the PS3 is I can't play my PS2 games on there and the latest GTA is not on there either.
You should've done some research on the backwards compatibility. You could have gone to Ebay and gotten a PS3 with full backwards compatibility. Sure, it's got a smaller hard drive, but I've got a 500GB external drive purely for the PS3.

Also, with the 360, 3 year warranty. Personally, I've been running a Halo Edition 360 for almost two years (Christmas 2007) now and have had no problems. I've even run the sucker for two straight weeks for a Tales of Vesperia achievement.

So go ahead and treat yourself to both consoles. Believe me, it's great.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:30 PM

311 posts, read 1,058,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
You should've done some research on the backwards compatibility. You could have gone to Ebay and gotten a PS3 with full backwards compatibility. Sure, it's got a smaller hard drive, but I've got a 500GB external drive purely for the PS3.

Also, with the 360, 3 year warranty. Personally, I've been running a Halo Edition 360 for almost two years (Christmas 2007) now and have had no problems. I've even run the sucker for two straight weeks for a Tales of Vesperia achievement.

So go ahead and treat yourself to both consoles. Believe me, it's great.
The 3 year warranty is only for the RROD though, right?

Old 12-29-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~NeonFire~ View Post
The 3 year warranty is only for the RROD though, right?
The poster was worried about the RRoD, so I informed (or reminded) him that there is a three year warranty for that. Though, the RRoD is not the only problem covered. They expanded it to include the E74 error.

I did, however, spend the money for the full warranty that includes any problem during the warranty period. Shortly after filling out the paperwork and sending in the check, I recieved a letter stating that the one-year warranty that I paid for would also be three years. So, until Christmas 2010, my 360 is covered for all issues.

My PS3, on the other hand, better not forget what a DVD is again.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:59 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,857,112 times
DON'T waste your time with a 360... trust me. I'm on my third one in 2 years and it just destroyed 2 $70 games last week.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:16 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,062,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
DON'T waste your time with a 360... trust me. I'm on my third one in 2 years and it just destroyed 2 $70 games last week.
Knock on wood, but my 360 sees ~10-15 hours of use per week playing Live and/or 'solo', and for the past 2 years has not had these or any other issues.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:55 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,857,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
Knock on wood, but my 360 sees ~10-15 hours of use per week playing Live and/or 'solo', and for the past 2 years has not had these or any other issues.
Well it really depends on which disk drive you get regarding the scratching of games, some have the required padding which basically makes it impossible for the disk to scratch, others do not. Theres 4 or 5 different drive types, 2 of the 5 do not have this padding. And that's only one of the problems, don't forget about the RROD's, undreadable disk errors, etc, etc, etc... list goes on.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:09 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,047,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Well it really depends on which disk drive you get regarding the scratching of games, some have the required padding which basically makes it impossible for the disk to scratch, others do not. Theres 4 or 5 different drive types, 2 of the 5 do not have this padding. And that's only one of the problems, don't forget about the RROD's, undreadable disk errors, etc, etc, etc... list goes on.
And in any case, most of the disc scratching problems are operator error. Such as moving the console while it's on, having hte console placed a certain way, etc.

Not always microsoft's fault.

Also, you speak of DREs, when that's one of hte things that Sony is notorious for. And the PS3 has a problem with the Yellow Light of Death and numerous firmware updates that actually bricked the PS3 i tself. THat one I experienced for myself.

Both the PS3 and the 360 have their fair share of problems. Which in most cases (outside of stuff like firmware updates) are taken care of by users taking good care of their console (Cleaning it, keeping it in a well ventilated area, etc.)

I've had my 360 for 2 years now, and it hasn't had a hiccup. I've had my Ps3 less than 2 years, and it failed due to a firmware update. My Wii also failed once on me.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:47 AM

Another thing users can do to prevent disk scratching is to clean the lens of the disk reader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
My Wii also failed once on me.
That was more because of user error. That was 'cause somebody left it plugged in during a bad electrical storm. Unplugging it for 24 hours fixed that right up.

Quote:
I've had my Ps3 less than 2 years, and it failed due to a firmware update.
Yeah. The update made it forget what a DVD was. THAT was a funny day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games