Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Dorky Kid Buy a PS3 or an XBox 360 (and why)?
PS3 67 59.29%
XBox 360 46 40.71%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 11:58 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,729,186 times

Advertisements

I got lucky and found a deal on a PS3 for $250....supposed to pick up tomorrow or Sat...for that price I can't pass it up...80GB newest version. Can't wait to mess around with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 06:49 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,974,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
I hear ya...but what if you exercise 30-60mins a day already? Not that I do...I really don't even have time for a PS3...but let's say at 8:30pm on a Wednesday night...you can't exactly go out and get in a pickup game of hoops.

Plus if you did work out 1 hr every day...who is to say you can't spend 3 hours on the PS3?
How many people get home at 5pm and throw back a 12pack of beer from 530 until they fall asleep. We can't be productive 24/7 - sleep.
Haha, i dont own any system and i rarely play. I guess i just dont see the point in it. Only game i will play is a sport game, like Madden (which sucks since about 97) and i usually get hammered because i dont play much.

G Rizzle

Old 12-13-2008, 06:49 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,047,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
Yea, but you see I am not a big time gamer and I have a netflix account that will ship me BluRay movies...lol

Plus I'm not too fond on the 360 controller (I've played both and PS3 seemed better overall)...and I know it is loud...which is one thing I didn't mind too much about the Xbox...but IMO if PS3 can be quiet, 360 can be too. Plus I just found out there is a power brick (may make the 360 smaller, but what an odd thing to have laying around.

Probably going with PS3...someday...unless I get it for Xmas.
The new feature of the 360 (Game installation) enables the 360 to run quieter than the PS3, actually. Have someone show you how the game runs while playing an arcade game. That's how the 360 will sound all the time when playing normal games, as long as you install them.

The brick isn't all that big of a deal, and you'll get used to it. However, the controller thing IS a dealbreaker. I know there used to be an adaptor in the GCN/PS2/Xbox generation where you can use any controller you want for any console, but I'm not sure that exists for this gen.

It does sound like you have your mind made up. Don't get me wrong, the PS3 is a great console. For everything, multi-media, gaming, internet, etc. I just personally find the 360 better, which is why I'm such a big advocate of it.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:38 PM

371 posts, read 1,762,089 times
I have to disagree with you on the noise level ^

My PS3 does not make any sound. At all. Its like vaccum sealed or something.

Old 12-13-2008, 06:20 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,047,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameHog9 View Post
I have to disagree with you on the noise level ^

My PS3 does not make any sound. At all. Its like vaccum sealed or something.
It depends on your PS3. My dad's is loud, so is my father in law's. Mine's pretty quiet, but my 360 is quieter when running arcade/installed games. Of course the Wii is the quietest though.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:31 PM

371 posts, read 1,762,089 times
Actually it also depends on the location. How cold it is affects how loud it is On the PS3 anyway. I wonder if they will ever port Mass Effect...

Probably never.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:12 PM

71 posts, read 174,880 times
question of curiosity, is there truly a difference between the elite and the pro versions besides the hard drives and color? Does it actually run differently, quieter/cooler and all that jazz? In my mind I couldnt see the reason on getting it when at that point it's in the ps3's price range. And that was always my biggest thing about the 360, being the cheaper one.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:03 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,053,608 times
We have the PS3... love it. Online is free and cool.

But last week we got the Wii. We're not only playing the cool new games and getting all hot and sweaty and sore from playing... but we're downloading games that we haven't seen or played since like... the 80's. Love the Wii.

We've actually removed rugs and furniture from our game room so that we have more jumping-bouncing-punching-whacking around room for Wii play. I've had to increase our children's daily caloric intake.

The PS3 is now getting a bit jealous, and a lot dusty.

We might have to put them in separate rooms.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:26 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,062,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayareaforlife View Post
question of curiosity, is there truly a difference between the elite and the pro versions besides the hard drives and color? Does it actually run differently, quieter/cooler and all that jazz? In my mind I couldnt see the reason on getting it when at that point it's in the ps3's price range. And that was always my biggest thing about the 360, being the cheaper one.
Depends on what/how you will run the machine. Me, as said, went w/ the less expensive [middle range, Pro] version, as the 120GB HD [can get expansion later], the colour, and the HDMI cable [~$5] IMHO didn't equate to the extra $100, which instead went towards 4 wireless controllers. Now, if you care more about downloading and/or more Live features, then maybe the extra HD space in the box itself makes more sense for you,,, me and my needs, not so much.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:49 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,729,186 times
I spent the weekend in BB and CC as well as FRYs...played the Wii and was mad at the fact I had to use 2 different controllers to play Mario Kart...I've heard some of the play is goofy...and you need 50 controllers to do everything out there....kinda turned me away from it(not that I was considering it). Some games I can see being fun...but I bet there is more of what I experienced and ppl deal with it. Gimme my Ps3....is Xmas here yet? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games