Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Dorky Kid Buy a PS3 or an XBox 360 (and why)?
PS3 67 59.29%
XBox 360 46 40.71%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 09:26 PM

71 posts, read 174,880 times

Advertisements

I just bought a ps3 the other day with call of duty 4, couldn't be happier. A thing I love about it is the built in wireless internet, doing online game play is so simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 08:18 PM

102 posts, read 472,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilthySailor View Post
Why buy a system for yourself, when you can be a good guy and buy one for poor ol me. *cough cough* An Xbox 360 would be nice. I'll PM you my address.
'
you must be really desperate

Old 03-13-2008, 11:15 PM
dru

31 posts, read 288,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
I own a PS3 personally.

First of all, I would say it's not worth getting either an Xbox 360 or a PS3 unless you have a decently sized HDTV that will actually show you the graphical advantage of these systems.

I think the Xbox 360 is a far superior gaming system to the PS3. The exclusive titles are better. It's easier to program for, so the cross platform titles are better. For the PS3, there honestly aren't that many good games. I've rented a number of games for the PS3, and been fairly disappointed. My favorite exclusive title is probably Ratchet and Clank. I wasn't at all impressed by the much hyped Devil May Cry 4 that just came out.

That said though, the PS3 does have one major advantage over the Xbox, and that is that it plays Blu Ray discs. This was a major factor for me. I was originally planning on getting an Xbox360 and and HD-DVD add on, but now that HD-DVD is defunct that would make no sense. I think the Blu Ray movies are fantastic. The PS3 gaming is decent, and it's getting better. If you're a real hard core gamer though, and you spend way more hours gaming than watching movies, you're probably better off going with an Xbox 360 though.
Blu-ray was the big decision-making factor for me as well and I almost also went the 360/HD-DVD add-on route. So, I'm glad (lucky?) that I made the right decision.

At the time (summer 2007), the PS3 was the cheapest BD player out there as I managed to get the 60GB for $360 + tax from an in-store Meijer deal. Didn't do much gaming, mostly got a PS3 for movies. But game-wise, what I liked is being able to instantly download fully-playable PS3 game demos so I wouldn't waste money on games that I thought sucked.

Lately, I've been using my PS3 for folding@home and streaming music and videos. I tried TVersity, but now I just use Nero for my media server. The PS3 now supports DivX movies so I can watch those from my computer wirelessly onto my plasma. Recently, I popped in my digicam's memory stick and have friends view party pictures (taken that same night) on my TV. I thought I'd never use this capability of the PS3.

I'm finding that the PS3 is more of an entertainment, multi-media system (to me) rather than a primary gaming system.

Old 03-15-2008, 02:50 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,941,178 times
what made me decide to get a ps3 were the titles from the ps2 that would have a sequel for the ps3. MGS4, KH3, GOW3, Disgaea 3, FF13, zoe3(hopefully)....ect..ect.

I'm extremely happy with my PS3 which has made a mockery of my friends 360 and its almost constant red ring of death. My only problem is that it seems that sony worked so hard making a superconsole that they forgot to make any games and so im stunned by the lack of variety. I mean FPS,adventure and racing games are fine but where the hell are the RPG's? there was about one every third game in the shops for the ps2 but i can count the ones released and tba with my hands.

Oh well, i dont mind playing the waiting game.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:14 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,373,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
what made me decide to get a ps3 were the titles from the ps2 that would have a sequel for the ps3. MGS4, KH3, GOW3, Disgaea 3, FF13, zoe3(hopefully)....ect..ect.

I'm extremely happy with my PS3 which has made a mockery of my friends 360 and its almost constant red ring of death. My only problem is that it seems that sony worked so hard making a superconsole that they forgot to make any games and so im stunned by the lack of variety. I mean FPS,adventure and racing games are fine but where the hell are the RPG's? there was about one every third game in the shops for the ps2 but i can count the ones released and tba with my hands.

Oh well, i dont mind playing the waiting game.
I had a ps2 and I remember the first year/year and a half was horrible. Hardly any games and the PS3 is no different. It will take a while as it always does but when they come they will be amazing.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I had a ps2 and I remember the first year/year and a half was horrible. Hardly any games and the PS3 is no different. It will take a while as it always does but when they come they will be amazing.
lol now that i think about it, i remember the good ol ps2 days. It was me with dark cloud and warriors of light and magic which by today's ps2 standards are horrible(the 2nd one always was). Kinda makes me think how laughably primitive COD4 will seem in 13 or so years time

Old 03-16-2008, 08:11 AM

Quote:
lol now that i think about it, i remember the good ol ps2 days. It was me with dark cloud and warriors of light and magic which by today's ps2 standards are horrible(the 2nd one always was). Kinda makes me think how laughably primitive COD4 will seem in 13 or so years time
hahaha dark cloud!!!!! Dude that game sucked lol. Man you bought back some memories. I remember the first game I had for the PS2 was ridggggggeeee raaaaaceerrrrr! I played the heck out of that game. I eventually sold my PS2 because I was disappointed graphically. I did so after about a 1.5 yrs of having it since launch. I went with the xbox after that and kept it until this generation. Sony has always been a slow starter as far as games go. But then again I had the xbox 360 for a year and a half (this is from launch). Early on it had 1 really good game and that was gears, the rest were meh. The first year and a half of the ps3s life has been FAR better. Ratchet and Clank, Heavenly Sword, Motorstorm, Resistants Fall of Man and Uncharted are all graphically superior than anything I have seen on the 360 and they had solid game play and story lines. This was all accomplished with in the firs 1.5 yrs of the PS3s life cycle so I think moving forward we will see things that are graphically and mechanically superior than anything the 360 will be able to produce. Killzone alone proves this point

Old 03-16-2008, 10:23 PM

71 posts, read 174,880 times
I can't wait for killzone to come out! The release date keeps getting pushed back and last time I checked it's "coming" out this fall, kind of getting annoying.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
hahaha dark cloud!!!!! Dude that game sucked lol. Man you bought back some memories. I remember the first game I had for the PS2 was ridggggggeeee raaaaaceerrrrr! I played the heck out of that game. I eventually sold my PS2 because I was disappointed graphically. I did so after about a 1.5 yrs of having it since launch. I went with the xbox after that and kept it until this generation. Sony has always been a slow starter as far as games go. But then again I had the xbox 360 for a year and a half (this is from launch). Early on it had 1 really good game and that was gears, the rest were meh. The first year and a half of the ps3s life has been FAR better. Ratchet and Clank, Heavenly Sword, Motorstorm, Resistants Fall of Man and Uncharted are all graphically superior than anything I have seen on the 360 and they had solid game play and story lines. This was all accomplished with in the firs 1.5 yrs of the PS3s life cycle so I think moving forward we will see things that are graphically and mechanically superior than anything the 360 will be able to produce. Killzone alone proves this point
My big problem with the 360 is that it is basically a watered down pc. All i had to do was wait a bit more to get games like Bioshock or gears of war to make their way on the pc with the bonus of new levels and free multiplayer.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayareaforlife View Post
I can't wait for killzone to come out! The release date keeps getting pushed back and last time I checked it's "coming" out this fall, kind of getting annoying.
let them push it back! When I play that game for the first time I want to drop a tear from excitement!

Quote:
My big problem with the 360 is that it is basically a watered down pc. All i had to do was wait a bit more to get games like Bioshock or gears of war to make their way on the pc with the bonus of new levels and free multiplayer.
Yeah, I just wasnt that impressed with the 360 at all. People say graphics isn't everything. If that were true people wouldnt go from one generation to the next, i mean what would be the point? The big thing that changes every generation is the graphics and going into this generation, i decided I only wanted a system that would give me CGI level graphics. With uncharted being the closest thing I have seen so far to a Pixar movie, I think the ps3 has the ability to deliver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games