Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Dorky Kid Buy a PS3 or an XBox 360 (and why)?
PS3 67 59.29%
XBox 360 46 40.71%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 12:43 AM

762 posts, read 1,598,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
The graphics capabilities of the XBox360 far surpass the PS3.

Not so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 07:32 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,401,235 times
Quote:
My husband is a video game programmer, as are a lot of our friends. Given the choice between the two, they would buy the XBox 360. The graphics capabilities of the XBox360 far surpass the PS3. In fact, some of them complain about the corners they have to cut for the PS3 compared to the stuff they can put into the same game for the XBox360. A few of our friends also have PS3s, but that has a lot to do with the Blu-Ray player. And these guys are the sort who like to own multiple consoles, anyway. You might, too, if you could use it as a tax write-off.
either you are not telling the truth or umm I am not sure what.

Go back and view some of the links I have previously posted. In one they talk about the difference between the 360 and the PS3 and in it they state the PS3 games are FAR superior to the PS3. These are game journalist and makers saying this.

Cliffy B of gears of war fame has said the PS3 has more power under the hood

2k Sports when making NBA 2k7 said they can do more on the ps3

THe maker of Quake also said the PS3 has more top end power

Just go read this months EGM magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by xino View Post
Xbox 360 has superb games, worth 60 bucks. Call of Duty 4, Rainbow Six Vegas, Halo 3, etc.

Xbox Live is also the best online service for a console.

PS3 has many games from other systems, and basically no superb games.

I don't want you to waste your money on a PS3. Wait until it's price drops and some good games come out for it.

Get Xbox 360.
ps3 has every last game you named with the exception of halo 3. As far as exclusive games Heavenly Sword, Uncharted and Ratched and Clank blow anything away thus far seen on the 360 graphically and the game play is top notch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
The Blu-Ray player built in helps make the PS3 worth its price, IMO, especially now that Blu-Ray has emerged as the winner over HD-DVD.

Now all I need is an HDTV, which I'll never afford after buying new game systems I will probably break down and buy a 360 in time, even after getting a PS3...I'm afraid to go to my friend's and start playing Halo 3 because I might spend the rent money on a 360 now if I do.

As for graphics, I don't think the PS3's power has been completely tapped. Compare early PS2 games to later ones. For that matter, compare GTA3 to San Andreas and you see a big difference, even though they came out only three years apart and run on the same engine.
I had a 360 and sold it for the PS3. I played gears of war which to date is the best game graphically on the 360. However there have been a hand full of first generation games on the PS3 that out shine gears of war. Uncharted blows it away, Ratchet and Clank, Heavenly Sword and MLB the show are examples. I posted a in game picture of uncharted early on in this thread. I have never seen a 360 game (actual gameplay not a cut scene) that even comes close.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:42 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,637,141 times
Yeah....cutscenes and actual gameplay are two different beasts. Take Final Fantasy VII for a more "classic" example....those cutscenes were ahead of its time (1997) and pushed the envelope for its hardware (PSX) and they look great even today. But in the gameplay, the characters and such look more like what you'd expect from a PSX game of its day.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:42 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,074,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
either you are not telling the truth or umm I am not sure what.
What I say is the absolute, 100% truth. Granted, I can only relay the experience of others, since I don't work in the field myself, but this is what they have to say. This is simply the opinion of my husband (who has more than a dozen years of game programming under his belt) and his many co-workers.

Now, if you still prefer the PS3, that's fine. Just thought you'd like to hear a little info from behind the scenes.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:02 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,700,461 times
Quote:
The graphics capabilities of the XBox360 far surpass the PS3.
That's not the case at all... are you sure you don't have it backwards? The PS3 has tons more graphics potential than the 360, it's pretty much a known fact. I have both and even though right now I'm saying get the XBOX because there is more available for it, the PS3 has the edge when it comes to graphics.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:23 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,074,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
That's not the case at all... are you sure you don't have it backwards? The PS3 has tons more graphics potential than the 360, it's pretty much a known fact. I have both and even though right now I'm saying get the XBOX because there is more available for it, the PS3 has the edge when it comes to graphics.

As stated before, I'm merely telling you what the game programmers in my life have told me. They make multi-platform games with the use of the company's engine, so they have experience programming for Xbox360, PS3, Wii, PSP, PC, etc. The senior engine programmer & the people I've met who render the images for the games all say they prefer XBox360 over PS3.

And yes, I double checked this info with my husband. He and all of his co-workers I've met prefer the XBox360. I'm not saying any of you have to agree with them. We're all free to form our own opinion. I'm just sharing information ... just like everyone else.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:27 AM

im not sure who your husband is. But the people I named Mark Rein, John Carmmack, Cliffy B, Kojima-san are among the worlds TOP video game makers in the world. John Carmmack makes Quake, Mark Reign head of Epic which has made Unreal Tournament and Gears of War, Kojima is the maker of the world renowned Metal Gear solid series and ALL of them have said that the PS3 has better hardware and far better graphics. The makes of the game Oblivion made the game for the 360 and the Ps3 and the pS3 version looked and played better. They said the PS3 does things the 360 just can't do. So i am going to go with them as their track record for quality games speaks for themselves.
Quote:
What I say is the absolute, 100% truth. Granted, I can only relay the experience of others, since I don't work in the field myself, but this is what they have to say. This is simply the opinion of my husband (who has more than a dozen years of game programming under his belt) and his many co-workers.

Now, if you still prefer the PS3, that's fine. Just thought you'd like to hear a little info from behind the scenes.
Quote:
As stated before, I'm merely telling you what the game programmers in my life have told me. They make multi-platform games with the use of the company's engine, so they have experience programming for Xbox360, PS3, Wii, PSP, PC, etc. The senior engine programmer & the people I've met who render the images for the games all say they prefer XBox360 over PS3.

And yes, I double checked this info with my husband. He and all of his co-workers I've met prefer the XBox360. I'm not saying any of you have to agree with them. We're all free to form our own opinion. I'm just sharing information ... just like everyone else.
Now the truth comes out. They said they PREFER the 360 to the pS3. A lot of programmers have said that, not because the 360 is more powerful but because the 360 is EASIER to develop for. The Playstation 3 and its PPU and Cell processors is vastly different from traditional game programming. You must balance the world load on the CELL chips to get it to perform and from what I have read that takes a lot of work but once tapped properly the PS3 can not be matched among any of the console games. It would take a few thousand dollar PC with a physics card and SLI to match

Oh and I dont know if you guys heard the news but Toshiba called it quits, HD DVD is no longer going to be produced. Another notch in PS3s belt

link

Last edited by Wild Style; 02-16-2008 at 09:41 AM..

Old 02-16-2008, 06:53 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,637,141 times
It's kind of like comparing the first Playstation with the Sega Saturn. The Saturn was never fully utilized because it was simply too difficult to program for which scared away a lot of third-party developers that flocked to the more programmer-friendly PSX. Because of that, along with a few boneheaded moves by Sega (including rushing it out, practically unannounced, in early 1995) what could have been a great system failed.

I'd still kill (ok, not really kill) for a working Saturn and Virtua Fighter 2. I got a Saturn for Christmas in '95 and I swear I did not leave the house for three days straight, even though all I had for it was VF2 Unfortunately I no longer have it...

As for the PS3, I think it'll just take some time. Learning to program for a new console is almost like learning a new language or something. Every one works differently and it might be easy to throw together a sub-par game, but a veritable challenge to make a great one. I think, more than anything, this had more to do with the delay of GTA4 from last October to this April. Hopefully the wait will be worth it.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:21 PM

32,626 posts, read 77,801,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Ratchet and Clank
How is Ratchet and Clank? I was at GameStop today previewing what PS3 games were available for the system when I buy it in April, and Ratchet & Clank looked very promising.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
How is Ratchet and Clank? I was at GameStop today previewing what PS3 games were available for the system when I buy it in April, and Ratchet & Clank looked very promising.
imagine playing Shrek 1 on a console (graphically). The storyline is also really good! I shutter to think what the next one is going to look like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games