Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Dorky Kid Buy a PS3 or an XBox 360 (and why)?
PS3 67 59.29%
XBox 360 46 40.71%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 08:08 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,271,088 times

Advertisements

Last I checked, Blu-Ray and HD were still battling it out over which one is going to be the new standard, so I wouldn't invest too heavily into either for the moment. Also, with the way the technology is advancing, both could be old news by the time the dust settles.

X-Box has been successfully marketed towards the adult gamer, while PS is more middle of the road and Nintendo is strickly for kids.

Being that, PS-3 is going to give you the most choices when it comes to titles and while there are a number of games that are manufactured for one particular platform, most popular titles are built cross-platform anyways.

All of this hoopla of high capacity hard drives and online this and that is totally wack if you ask me. Real hard-core gamers use the PC anyways, and I don't care what anyone says, X-Box, PS-3 and Wii are a long ways away form catching up to the pure umph that a PC can bring (and does) to gaming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 10:55 AM

8 posts, read 22,970 times
K-luv, I have a major hate about PC games. Every year, if you want to play the new games and enjoy them in all their glory, your dishing out $500 for a new video card/ram/processor/etc.

With my Xbox, I know that if I buy an Xbox 360 game, its gonna play. I dont have to look at hardware specs, check for harddrive space, etc etc etc etc. Then for all I know, I will load it and some random error wont let me ever play it. Dont have to install it for 10-20 minutes either the first time I put it in.

I think the mouse/keyboard setup is superior for control in most game setups, but the hardware stuff with pc's makes me furious.

Curious though, what do you mean by PS-3 giving access to most titles? In terms of PS1 and PS2 games, yes your right. But I mean honestly, the number of people who play the old gen games is dwindling faster than Micheal Jacksons bank balance.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:24 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,510,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trioxin View Post
K-luv, I have a major hate about PC games. Every year, if you want to play the new games and enjoy them in all their glory, your dishing out $500 for a new video card/ram/processor/etc.

With my Xbox, I know that if I buy an Xbox 360 game, its gonna play. I dont have to look at hardware specs, check for harddrive space, etc etc etc etc. Then for all I know, I will load it and some random error wont let me ever play it. Dont have to install it for 10-20 minutes either the first time I put it in.

I think the mouse/keyboard setup is superior for control in most game setups, but the hardware stuff with pc's makes me furious.

Curious though, what do you mean by PS-3 giving access to most titles? In terms of PS1 and PS2 games, yes your right. But I mean honestly, the number of people who play the old gen games is dwindling faster than Micheal Jacksons bank balance.
MY Sega Genesis is hooked up, and I play it occasionally.

And Breath of Fire 3 always interests me.

But, I enjoy PCs a lot more than consoles, and I agree with your hardware issues.

Since my comp is obsolete, and thus I need basically a brand new one.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:23 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,271,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trioxin View Post

Having the latest, greatest graphic card is a tad over rated. Think about it. Why would a card that was 'the sh*t' for Doom 3 a couple of years ago now be lame for the same game? Or similar games? Having the latest, top of the line PC is overkill for anything unless you are rendering large amounts of files or running some heavy duty quantum physics. Hard core PC gamers, of course, will always have the latest and greatest, but hey--that is what makes them serious gamers.

The X-Box. PS-3 and Wii will all become dated eventually. The eternal components of those consuls cannot be upgraded. There are some games for PS-2 that were once considered tops for graphics and game play that look ancient when compared to what can be displayed by the PS-3. The same will happen to the PS-3 and X-Box, but you wouldn't think about upgrading them every year, would you? That is because people have been taught that their home computers become obsolete after a year or two. Why the same logic hasn't been applied to the game consul is beyond me; probably because it is mostly teenagers that are into them. I dunno.

Yeah, it sucks for hard ware compatibility. But still, the games kick major behind and you have the ability to mod/download mods that allow for different game play/maps if the stock game gets to feel a bit 'old'.

Yeah, PS-2 had tons of games, so did the X-Box. But I think that the PS-2 had way more as it had a larger target audience. Give the PS-3 time and it will have a pretty extensive library, especially once the PS-2 is completely phased out.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:54 PM

559 posts, read 1,466,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Hello!

Even though I come off as an intellectual on this forum, I do have an aggressive, sadistic side to me that I like to quench every now and then by firing up Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas on my trusty PlayStation 2. Needless to say I was heartbroken when I learned that the newest installment of the game series was only going to be released for XBox360 or PlayStation 3.

I'm earning a decent wage now and will hopefully use the OverStock.com gift I received from here on City-Data to supplement my new gaming system purchase. According to that site I can currently purchase an XBox 360 for about $250 and a PS3 for about $400. Is it worth the extra $150 to go out on a limb and acquire the PS3, or should I go the "cheap" route with the XBox 360?

I'm currently leaning towards a PS3, even though most of my friends are telling me to go for the XBox 360. Here's my reasoning:

1.) I already own 30 or so games for my PS2 system, and it would be nice obviously to still play them on my PS3. On the other hand I would likely net probably $1,000 or so if I had decided to sell all 30 of the games and the PS2console in favor of purchasing the XBox 360. I've also heard that the PS3 is having difficulty playing many PS2 games. Can anyone substantiate this claim?

2.) The PS3 can also play Blue-Ray Disc DVDs, which would save me money in the long-run by not having to purchase a new DVD player in the future as technology continues to improve.

What do others think?
Alright first, if you get an xbox at least get the premium with a 20 gig hard drive, it will definately come in handy.

Second if you want to play ps2 games on your ps3 you have to get the 80gig (500 i think) version cuz the cheaper one doesn't have backward compability.

As for games xbox has more now, but ps3 is not as old as the xbox so it will be start catching up. Ps3 online play is free, xbox is 50 a year., if that matters to you.

If i was you i would go 40gig ps3 (400) cuz of the bluray player, and its only 50 more then the xbox. And you always have your ps2 for your ps2 games. Plus you get more bang for your buck, like wireless internet (100 extra for xbox), free internet (50 a year for xbox), and blu ray player (about 150 more for xbox for hd player). And the blu ray holds alot more data then the disc xbox uses so more stuff on the disks.

But thats just me, it only really matters the games each have, because thats what your gonna be using it for. So see what has the best, and upcoming best games.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:55 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,389,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Last I checked, Blu-Ray and HD were still battling it out over which one is going to be the new standard, so I wouldn't invest too heavily into either for the moment. Also, with the way the technology is advancing, both could be old news by the time the dust settles.
The battle is pretty much over. Target, BJs, Netflix, Best Buy, Blockbuster and many others ONLY carry Blu ray, not HD DVD. The major exclusive movie studios that backed HD-DVD have now jumped ship and support blu ray. In Europe and Asia Blu Ray is the defacto standard and month over month blu ray has outsold hd dvd something like 3 to 1. So its safe to say its over. So the inclusion of a blu ray player in the PS3 gives the system a huge edge over the 360.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
All of this hoopla of high capacity hard drives and online this and that is totally wack if you ask me. Real hard-core gamers use the PC anyways, and I don't care what anyone says, X-Box, PS-3 and Wii are a long ways away form catching up to the pure umph that a PC can bring (and does) to gaming.
Yea but i dont need a 2,000 dollar machine to run the best games. If i get a console i know i can any game made for that console, and its cheaper.

Just my 2 cents.

And the battle of Blu ray vs hd is pretty much over blu ray won with warner going only blu ray

Old 02-11-2008, 09:23 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,510,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowthedirtbub View Post
Yea but i dont need a 2,000 dollar machine to run the best games. If i get a console i know i can any game made for that console, and its cheaper.

Just my 2 cents.

And the battle of Blu ray vs hd is pretty much over blu ray won with warner going only blu ray
You don't need a 2k machine.

You can get one that'll run the best games for like $1200.

Not only that, with the sheer amount of PC games on the market, and the rate which they come out, and the multiple developers that make them... you have a lot of things to choose from; past, current and future.

So... you can continue to buy the latest and greatest... OR, you can buy a system, use it, continue to play the games you enjoy playing... and if you want to, upgrade it in 2 years.

Or, you can buy a new console, that is more and more just becoming a mini-PC, designed for one purpose... every 2-3 years as they hit the market, spending more and more $$ each time. With no guarantee that games will truly be backwards compatible.

I have the ability to do both, so I do so.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:25 PM

[quote=Radek;2799276]You don't need a 2k machine.

You can get one that'll run the best games for like $1200.

Not only that, with the sheer amount of PC games on the market, and the rate which they come out, and the multiple developers that make them... you have a lot of things to choose from; past, current and future.

So... you can continue to buy the latest and greatest... OR, you can buy a system, use it, continue to play the games you enjoy playing... and if you want to, upgrade it in 2 years.

Or, you can buy a new console, that is more and more just becoming a mini-PC, designed for one purpose... every 2-3 years as they hit the market, spending more and more $$ each time. With no guarantee that games will truly be backwards compatible.

One word, crysis.

Whats good to have a gaming computer if i cant play all computer games, espically the ones i want like crysis and call of duty 4?

Old 02-11-2008, 11:55 PM

683 posts, read 2,654,308 times
I'm getting a PS3 for one reason, Gran Turismo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games