Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Console is Best for Travellers?
Sony PSP 14 63.64%
Nintendo DS 6 27.27%
Other - Please State and Explain 2 9.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 11:25 AM

371 posts, read 1,106,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Age shouldn't be a factor in gaming. Just as I play games, my two year old uses a duck shooter and the NES, and my father still plays on MUD and Maple Story. And please show me a modern system that is backwards compatible for Chip's Challenge. I would love it.
Hello when i was talking about my age it had nothing to do with the video games.

Quote:
Why Zune? Because it does everything the equivalent iPod can - and my music and such aren't trapped in some program. There's no need to convert the music, either! Oh, and it has a radio tuner.
The music and stuff are not trapped on any program it is STORED into your computer One you can convert the music into any type of program 2 you only convert if you are put a cd on itunes which is fast because you only have to do one thing. The ipod does not have a built in radio tuner but they sell it as an accessory.

Quote:
But this really is pointless dribble going back and forth over Touch vs. Everything else. Those of us who play games with more depth than Super Monkey Balls would agree that even the Atari Lynx could beat a Touch in terms of gaming.
Wring, ive played with one of these and how can you compare graphics of something that came out along time to something that is superior in technology that came out today. the games for the touch are phenomenal against that. Unless youve never played ann app on the touch ur opinion cant be of any use.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:26 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBoy1212 View Post
First dont you know sarcasm.
I don't know sarcasm? Talk to me in about 9 years, and then try to say I don't know sarcasm.

Quote:
of course its cheap it only plays games and its old. What do you mean easy to get
And the DS? Only plays games. (Unless you buy a add-on, which isn't worth it). ANd those "old" games consist of some of the best portable games to grace this planet.

Quote:
I didnt say you didnt have a life i said you might not have a life speaking in general term.
No, you said "must". Which is actually quite insulting. Real life is not like high school.

Quote:
Im not sure if you are talking about these games for the hame consoles or the potable ones
What's this thread about? Put two and two together. You'll get it.

Quote:
I was talking about better graphics on a home based console.
Of course the graphics are better on a home based console. They have more room FOR the technology to be better.

Quote:
Please we have stores on every block which in terms can be any type of terms and every block in virginia beach ha ha. Virginia beach is not much of a city let along it having a store on every block NYC vs Virginia beach do the math.
My point was that you cannot judge how a system sells by seeing just a few gamestops. Keep your city pride out of this.

Quote:
For the wii only game cube games. for 360 only xbox games, for ps3 only ps1 and 2 games. DS gba games. GBA only gbc games.
Thank you for making my point for me.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post

A. Unrivaled video support, and better screen for watching videos.
B. Very easy to get music on, just plug and go.
C. Very good support, and you can plug it into anyone's computer without downloading clunky software.

It's a 1 gig mp3 player. It came preloaded with 30 songs, and now it holds over 100.
Which zune do you have. since IDK i will compare each. Its the same thing with the ipod all u have to do is plug it in and it syncs what ever is in your library and you can switch to manual or sync whatever is checked. You can also put it into any computer without downloading software. They can be used as a flash memory drive for your files, since you can do that it will appear in the device column in my computer and you can control everything from there. Itunes is for your own personal gain on your computer to get and put media on and it will organize it for you. It also great for learning about new music. Unlike the zune market place you dont have to sign up for a subscription and you get to keep your music and media no mater what. And dont lie you still need download software to keep all your stuff organized if you have alot of stuff or want buy songs on the zune marketplace.
Apple - iPod nano - Technical Specifications (http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/specs.html - broken link) vs Zune.net | Zune 4GB/8GB - Technical Specifications (broken link)

Apple - iPod touch - Technical Specifications vs Zune.net | Zune 30GB - Technical Specifications (broken link)

Apple - iPod classic - Technical Specifications vs Zune.net | Zune 80GB - Technical Specifications (broken link)

Depending on how much memory you want it could be

Apple - iPod touch - Technical Specifications vs Zune.net | Zune 80GB - Technical Specifications (broken link)

Media software

http://www.apple.com/itunes/overview/ vs http://www.zune.net/en-US/products/zunesoftware/default.htm (broken link)

Last edited by NYCBoy1212; 08-06-2008 at 11:58 AM..

Old 08-06-2008, 11:50 AM

i didnt mean to insult you I didnt say gamestop i said electronic stores. I go to one everywhere i go due to the fact my parents just shop for clothes and home accesories

Old 08-06-2008, 02:23 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Now, since we're done and over with the petty "Apple Products are King of the World" discussion... back to the Topic at Hand:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
My wife and I will be travelling around the world soon. For the most part, the travel is going to provide it's own entertainment.

However, at times we are sure to be stuck for days at border stations, on boats, and we may also have trouble finding internet cafes in areas where there is no shortage of wi-fi but everyone is expected to have their own laptop (like some places here in the US).
So the assumed poster does not have a laptop. Assuming such, how would such a person conceivably use a product that requires the use of a computer in order to activate it?

Quote:
I have some credit with electronics retailers that I have no real use for otherwise--since we're pitching out nearly ALL of our possessions and have no need for any more junk. I was thinking of using it to purchase a Nintendo DS or a PSP for travel.

I fully expect either console to break or be stolen eventually, and it will not travel with us to all regions. However, for the time that it lasts, which console do you think is best for travellers?
So, if we compare the Touch and a PSP - the PSP costs less, and therefore it's not as bad of a loss if it gets broken or stolen.

Quote:
I'm leaning toward the PSP because it can play mini-disc movies and the DS's clamshell design and stylus seem to be asking to be broken/lost. However, it seems like the touchscreen would be better for web browsing.
And between the PSP and DS, the DS is more likely to break because of the clamshell design. Now, I've not dropped low enough to buy the cartridge that will allow my DS to use the internet, but I've no problems with it on the PSP.

Quote:
Please vote for which console you think is best and educate me on the travel-friendly features of each console. Thanks!
The PSP has internet radio, movie and music storage, game storage, and a built in internet browser.

The DS has a picture-board chat room and has an internet browser cartridge that you can buy.

In short, for a cheap little device that can take a beating - and doesn't require any additional software to be installed to a non-existant computer, I would recommend the PSP.

As far as peripherals go, I would recommend:

*Carrying case - can be any type of bag, could even be a cheapo camera bag from Wal-Mart
*Ziploc Bag - Put the UMD's in a ziploc bag before putting them in the carrying case. It keeps them all together.
*Charger
*Extra Battery
*Headphones - so that you don't have to disturb others when watching a movie or something. ((Maybe even 2 headphones and a splitter so that your wife can enjoy too!))
*Extra thumbpads - I personally took mine off because it annoyed me. But for those who do like them, keep spare on you.

And Voila!

Old 08-06-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Now, since we're done and over with the petty "Apple Products are King of the World" discussion... back to the Topic at Hand:

So the assumed poster does not have a laptop. Assuming such, how would such a person conceivably use a product that requires the use of a computer in order to activate it?

So, if we compare the Touch and a PSP - the PSP costs less, and therefore it's not as bad of a loss if it gets broken or stolen.

And between the PSP and DS, the DS is more likely to break because of the clamshell design. Now, I've not dropped low enough to buy the cartridge that will allow my DS to use the internet, but I've no problems with it on the PSP.

The PSP has internet radio, movie and music storage, game storage, and a built in internet browser.

The DS has a picture-board chat room and has an internet browser cartridge that you can buy.

In short, for a cheap little device that can take a beating - and doesn't require any additional software to be installed to a non-existant computer, I would recommend the PSP.

As far as peripherals go, I would recommend:

*Carrying case - can be any type of bag, could even be a cheapo camera bag from Wal-Mart
*Ziploc Bag - Put the UMD's in a ziploc bag before putting them in the carrying case. It keeps them all together.
*Charger
*Extra Battery
*Headphones - so that you don't have to disturb others when watching a movie or something. ((Maybe even 2 headphones and a splitter so that your wife can enjoy too!))
*Extra thumbpads - I personally took mine off because it annoyed me. But for those who do like them, keep spare on you.

And Voila!
You dont need a computer to activate it just turn it on but you have to charge it. just get a charger or if you prefer you can use the usb wire and plug it into a computer to charge. Also the sell extra battery packs thats both an battery and a case. of course they sell accessories at apple but you can get them from any electronic store. here is the apple store http://store.apple.com/us

Old 08-07-2008, 01:01 PM

371 posts, read 1,761,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
I have to disagree.

I've owned a total of three PSPs. I have the same six games I started with. I've owned a ton of PSP games, and ended up trading them in because they weren't all that great. Three of the games I still have are imports. Lumines is one. Considering how many games came out since Lumines dropped, that's a strong indicator of the quality of the games on that system. They don't suck...they're just not great. However, Lumines alone is sufficient for hours of enjoyment.

I've also owned a total of three DSs, including the older model which was garbage. To say the games aren't that good? DS has been dropping hit after hit in 2008 with some yet still to come. Seems a legendary great is dropping on that system every month. It's what the N64 should have been.

What I meant to say is that DS games dont really catch my attention. Some arent even 3D. The only ones that caught my eye was Zelda, Mario, and Metroid, I found the rest to be boring (Nintendogs? BRAIN AGE!?!?)

I prefer PSP games because they are more flexed out, at least the newer ones like God of War, FFVII: CC, Ace Combat, Ghost Recon....

All of these have good, if not spectacular graphics (PS2 like), and very fun gameplay. Did you know they are making a portable Resistance game? Sweet

Thats just my opinion, of course

Old 08-07-2008, 02:01 PM

Resistance for the psp? i get enough of it on my ps3 and they are coming out with the second one and gears of war 2. It will be chaos.

//www.city-data.com/forum/movie...lurays-do.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/shopp...-vs-other.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/music...-you-have.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/green...ng-become.html

Last edited by NYCBoy1212; 08-07-2008 at 03:10 PM..

Old 08-07-2008, 04:56 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBoy1212 View Post
You dont need a computer to activate it just turn it on but you have to charge it. just get a charger or if you prefer you can use the usb wire and plug it into a computer to charge. Also the sell extra battery packs thats both an battery and a case. of course they sell accessories at apple but you can get them from any electronic store. here is the apple store Apple Store (U.S.) - Welcome to the Apple Store
dude, are you really this dense are you just not reading anything here at all? the point Kuharai was making is that the OP MAY NOT EVEN HAVE A LAPTOP W/ THEM!!! w/o a laptop, they will not be able to sync, charge (unless they get additional AC adapters and suitable converters for foreign outlets), or download anything. the OP will be stuck w/ the same stuff on the Touch for the entire trip!!

you're turning a simple thread into some Apple v. Zune/iPod Touch v. DS & PSP/Console game systems v. portable systems debacle when these things are IRRELEVANT to the issue at hand!

Old 08-07-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
dude, are you really this dense are you just not reading anything here at all? the point Kuharai was making is that the OP MAY NOT EVEN HAVE A LAPTOP W/ THEM!!! w/o a laptop, they will not be able to sync, charge (unless they get additional AC adapters and suitable converters for foreign outlets), or download anything. the OP will be stuck w/ the same stuff on the Touch for the entire trip!!

you're turning a simple thread into some Apple v. Zune/iPod Touch v. DS & PSP/Console game systems v. portable systems debacle when these things are IRRELEVANT to the issue at hand!
Its wifi, you can buy songs on the go with the itunes music store,but not videos, you can also get apps too. What are you talking about get and decide all of the things u want before you go on your trip and i doubt it will matter if you have the same thing with 32gb and movies being 1-2gb. Im not turning this into anything i just hate when people dont get their facts straight and that makes something being described really different from what it really is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games