Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2010, 05:57 PM

199 posts, read 546,466 times

Advertisements

Background: Grew up in Richmond, married and moved around with husband, returned to Richmond 1998, left in 2006 after divorce. Daughter and granddaughter in Winchester, son with me.

OK, so have been out here in L.A. for four years. Came out for employment opportunity that didn't work out. I'm in my early 50's now and want to come home to VA. Son wants to go back to VA as well. Went through Richmond in 2008 and was shocked at the changes. Would much prefer the small towns of Waynesboro/Staunton. Son will be going to school at PVCC for healthcare program.

Questions: Have lots but will start with just a couple.

Budget is no more than $675 for rental (I'm on a fixed income but do some freelance). Really want small house. Saw this one Ranch Home with Full Basement listed on RentalMatchup.com (http://harrisonburg.craigslist.org/apa/1926668550.html - broken link) and was amazed at how big it is for the price. Is $675 going to be enough for a small 2-3 bedroom house? Or was this one simply in a bad neighborhood?

Timing: Saving up as much as possible and am thinking will have enough by January. Is this really a bad time to look for rentals?

Thank you SO MUCH in advance for any advice. This is going to be a difficult move for me, and I'm going to call on the various areas of this forum for help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 08:17 PM

894 posts, read 2,315,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintChapstick View Post
Background: Grew up in Richmond, married and moved around with husband, returned to Richmond 1998, left in 2006 after divorce. Daughter and granddaughter in Winchester, son with me.

OK, so have been out here in L.A. for four years. Came out for employment opportunity that didn't work out. I'm in my early 50's now and want to come home to VA. Son wants to go back to VA as well. Went through Richmond in 2008 and was shocked at the changes. Would much prefer the small towns of Waynesboro/Staunton. Son will be going to school at PVCC for healthcare program.

Questions: Have lots but will start with just a couple.

Budget is no more than $675 for rental (I'm on a fixed income but do some freelance). Really want small house. Saw this one Ranch Home with Full Basement listed on RentalMatchup.com (http://harrisonburg.craigslist.org/apa/1926668550.html - broken link) and was amazed at how big it is for the price. Is $675 going to be enough for a small 2-3 bedroom house? Or was this one simply in a bad neighborhood?

Timing: Saving up as much as possible and am thinking will have enough by January. Is this really a bad time to look for rentals?

Thank you SO MUCH in advance for any advice. This is going to be a difficult move for me, and I'm going to call on the various areas of this forum for help.
Hello, and welcome back to VA! I live in Staunton, so I hope I can be of assistance. Even here in the valley, it's going to be hard to find a rental that cheap, but not impossible. The one you posted is actually in a nice neighborhood in my opinion. It's back behind the neighborhood I live in. It could be the recession we're experiencing has helped lower rental costs. I don't know.

If your son is going to PVCC, he's going to have a 40+ minute commute. I know, I pass it everyday going to work in Charlottesville myself. You might want to keep that in mind. There is a community college here, Blue Ridge Community College, I don't know if they would have the courses your son would need to take though. That would be a 15-20 minute commute.

In either case, good luck with your search!

Old 08-31-2010, 01:01 PM

Hi ShadowBat . I've been lurking around the forums since June, joined in July and have read many of your posts. I know you welcome folks coming to VA, but when you welcomed me back, I admit I teared up. I appreciate your reply.

Darn I wish that house had not been put up for rent yet! I have to tell myself it just wasn't meant to be even though it seems perfect. Anyway, the person renting it won't allow pets, and I have a diva cat who won't move her pink litter box where she's not wanted.

Ok, yes, the commute. I was hoping we could talk about that. We picked up that it would be around 40 mins. What is it like going over Afton Mt.? Difficult in snowy weather? Need chains on tires?

Re Blue Ridge: No it doesn't offer the courses he needs, unfortunately. He wants to work with cancer patients and needs a radiation therapy program. There are only three in VA. Roanoke (too far from daughter and granddaughter), Manassas (no, just no. Even if I could afford Northern VA I would not live there). Third program is the one at PVCC. I don't want to live in Charlottesville even if I could find a place. I hear it's very liberal. I'm old fashioned and a conservative and have had enough liberals out here in L.A. to last me the rest of my life.

So if you could help me out re the Afton Mountain question, comment on whether or not you see "for rent signs" around (here in L.A. there is so much to rent that is not posted on the internet) I'd appreciate it.

Going over to that perfect house and telling the landlord an applicant with flawless rental history and credit scores over 700 wants the house starting in January is optional. /kidding

Old 08-31-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Hi ShadowBat . I've been lurking around the forums since June, joined in July and have read many of your posts. I know you welcome folks coming to VA, but when you welcomed me back, I admit I teared up. I appreciate your reply.

Darn I wish that house had not been put up for rent yet! I have to tell myself it just wasn't meant to be even though it seems perfect. Anyway, the person renting it won't allow pets, and I have a diva cat who won't move her pink litter box where she's not wanted.

Ok, yes, the commute. I was hoping we could talk about that. We picked up that it would be around 40 mins. What is it like going over Afton Mt.? Difficult in snowy weather? Need chains on tires?

Re Blue Ridge: No it doesn't offer the courses he needs, unfortunately. He wants to work with cancer patients and needs a radiation therapy program. There are only three in VA. Roanoke (too far from daughter and granddaughter), Manassas (no, just no. Even if I could afford Northern VA I would not live there). Third program is the one at PVCC. I don't want to live in Charlottesville even if I could find a place. I hear it's very liberal. I'm old fashioned and a conservative and have had enough liberals out here in L.A. to last me the rest of my life.

So if you could help me out re the Afton Mountain question, comment on whether or not you see "for rent signs" around (here in L.A. there is so much to rent that is not posted on the internet) I'd appreciate it.

Going over to that perfect house and telling the landlord an applicant with flawless rental history and credit scores over 700 wants the house starting in January is optional. /kidding
Awww, I didn't mean to make you tear up! I admit, if I was trapped in LA and had the option to move home I would feel the same way. Nothing against LA, but I could never live there, it's a good place to visit though. Was out there a few years ago.

Anyways, about Afton mountain. The worst thing to worry about is the fog, which in my opinion is not the problem. It's the other drivers who are. Some people see a light mist and slam on their brakes, others don't even slow down. Mix those two together and it gets interesting. But it's not like you have to deal with it everyday. I have been driving to Cville for work now for 7 years and have not had one problem related to the fog. Every traffic jam that's happened has been either because of roadwork, or a car wreck. They have warning signs up on the interstate to warn you of fog so you can mentally prepare for it. That is if they're working.

In the winter, if it snows, vdot generally does an ok job of clearing the snow. Not great. This past winter we got just above 5 feet total and it nearly crippled vdot with the first storm. Thousands of motorists were stranded on the roads because the crews just couldn't keep up. But this was an unusual winter, and I think they learned their lesson. The next big one we got the roads were cleared much better and no real problems were reported like with the first one. Afton can be treacherous. It is colder at the top, so if it's all clear at the base, it may be really slushy at the top. I like driving in the snow, so I don't know what might freak you out or not.

As far as seeing rental signs, yes I have seen a few, but haven't paid much attention as I'm not looking. I would look at the classified sections of the two local newspapers, www.newsvirginian.com, and the www.newsleader.com. And maybe check out craigslist, but be very cautious of the scammers.

I hope this helps, and I wish you continued luck in your search for a new home here in the valley!

Old 09-01-2010, 03:44 PM

Hi ShadowBat Thank you for the info on Afton Mt. Many, many years ago, I spent 4 winters in Milwaukee, so I have some experience driving in snow even though it's been awhile. Son will learn. Oh gosh, I imagine 5 feet of snow would cripple vdot.

I appreciate the links to the two newspapers. Lots more to rent listed on these, I believe, versus craigslist.

I think I'm good for the moment, but I'll be back. Other questions belong in another part of the forums. Thank you again for your kindness.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Thank you again for your kindness.
You're very welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia