Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 09:55 AM

19,264 posts, read 17,134,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
It seems to me that the table was set for Youngkin to run as a reasonable GOP moderate. The reason why that is not a path in most of the USA is that you will lose in the primary, but since the Virginia GOP's didn't even have a primary - he could really pivot middle of the road now, and actually (I think) stand a chance of winning in the general election. One of the recent polls has it at 46-42 McAuliffe. It will be interesting.

On the other hand he may have to play the transgender/Critical Race/COVID hoax trifecta (to drive up the turnout among that group) which will end up alienating thinking voters. So there's that.

Get your popcorn.
At some point he is going to have to address where he stands on the National GOP Positions of the election and everything else they spew. If he doesn't repeat the party line verbatim he will be called out at a RINO among other names and lambasted by his party, can you say walking on a tightrope....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2021, 04:47 AM

1,752 posts, read 2,408,293 times
I think that the local GOP realizes that he must appear to be somewhat moderate in order to attract sufficient votes. The Democrats know that too, which is why their attack ads always seek to tie him to Trump.

Every indication is that, if elected, he will seek to drastically cut taxes and budgets, as Brown did in Kansas. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing depends on your political view.

Old 08-09-2021, 05:22 AM

346 posts, read 230,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
I think that the local GOP realizes that he must appear to be somewhat moderate in order to attract sufficient votes. The Democrats know that too, which is why their attack ads always seek to tie him to Trump.

Every indication is that, if elected, he will seek to drastically cut taxes and budgets, as Brown did in Kansas. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing depends on your political view.
So the Democrats have to resort to unsubstantiated smears and attacks 'by association' then? No wonder no one trusts politicians, especially careerists and all manner of 'strategists'.

Old 08-09-2021, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rural & red View Post
So the Democrats have to resort to unsubstantiated smears and attacks 'by association' then? No wonder no one trusts politicians, especially careerists and all manner of 'strategists'.
Maybe if the candidate would step up and partake in the process there wouldn't be speculation and accusations. His position to the National GOP dialogue is a factor and not just for Democrats, but he won't
address it and he won't engage. But I see he is taking one from the Trump play book by going online and making accusations over what the opposition is doing even before they do it so he can come back later and say "see I told you they would"....

Old 08-09-2021, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Maybe if the candidate would step up and partake in the process there wouldn't be speculation and accusations. His position to the National GOP dialogue is a factor and not just for Democrats, but he won't
address it and he won't engage. But I see he is taking one from the Trump play book by going online and making accusations over what the opposition is doing even before they do it so he can come back later and say "see I told you they would"....
I agree he could be doing a better job of getting himself and his policies out there to pre-empt the smears, that is, unless he wants them for publicity.

Are you from Long Island by any chance? How do you feel about Nassau and Suffolk going for Trump bigly last year?

Old 08-09-2021, 06:19 AM

7,191 posts, read 6,842,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
I think both sides can agree that Sam Brownback is NOT someone anyone should emulate. The cuts were hurting Kansas so bad that even diehard Republicans there were telling him "Whoa there, pardner!". Some of them actually ended up endorsing his Democratic opponent Paul Davis in the 2014 gubernatorial election because of that. If you're a Republican governor in a red state, and you got over 100 fellow Republicans endorsing your Democratic opponent, that's when you know you REALLY f***ed up.

Old 08-09-2021, 07:38 AM

Quote:
I agree he could be doing a better job of getting himself and his policies out there to pre-empt the smears, that is, unless he wants them for publicity.

Are you from Long Island by any chance? How do you feel about Nassau and Suffolk going for Trump bigly last year?
Never lived on the island but I have been in Virginia 40+ years, if your saying they largely voted for Trump I would look again. Winning 1 of the 2 by such a tiny margin is not "bigly"

In Suffolk County Trump won by .03% ref: https://apps2.suffolkcountyny.gov/bo...ge/default.htm
And in Nassau County Biden won by 54.1% Ref: https://dailyvoice.com/new-york/nass...county/799846/

Old 08-09-2021, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Never lived on the island but I have been in Virginia 40+ years, if your saying they largely voted for Trump I would look again. Winning 1 of the 2 by such a tiny margin is not "bigly"

In Suffolk County Trump won by .03% ref: https://apps2.suffolkcountyny.gov/bo...ge/default.htm
And in Nassau County Biden won by 54.1% Ref: https://dailyvoice.com/new-york/nass...county/799846/
Right but I forgot, it was Staten Island and Suffolk Country that went for Trump, the former went bigly considering it is an actual part of NYC.

Eastern Long Island and Staten Island is MAGA country -- especially on the south shore and north shore of Suffolk. The further east you go, the more conservative it gets. Guess it's largely a reaction to all of the high taxes they're saddled with. That's why I don't want Virginia to go down that route, then the people start fixating on charlatans like Trump because they are desperate for reprieve.

Old 08-09-2021, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Right but I forgot, it was Staten Island and Suffolk Country that went for Trump, the former went bigly considering it is an actual part of NYC.

Eastern Long Island and Staten Island is MAGA country -- especially on the south shore and north shore of Suffolk. The further east you go, the more conservative it gets. Guess it's largely a reaction to all of the high taxes they're saddled with. That's why I don't want Virginia to go down that route, then the people start fixating on charlatans like Trump because they are desperate for reprieve.
Trump won by @200 votes in Suffolk, not a landslide and most points in eastern Suffolk voted for Biden. Ref: https://projects.newsday.com/long-is...ted%20Statesby

The New York are area in general is higher taxes regardless of who is in office and it was former President Trump who implemented the SALT limitations on tax deductions which so greatly affects those on Long Island.

Virginia is a long way off from being like NY but it is the rhetoric of "charlatans like Trump" that the GOP embraces and until they start speaking for themselves and saying no to all this garbage their reputation will continue to diminish. Their practice now of appeasing the Trump loyalists and not speaking out against the garbage over the election just hurts them and it will hurt Youngkin's chances if he doesn't stand up and speak against it. People do not want a far right candidate as they have demonstrated over and over, but the state GOP hasn't learned that lesson and let the people choose who they want to represent the party in an election.

Old 08-09-2021, 12:39 PM

4,610 posts, read 6,385,954 times
"charlatans like Trump" I can't believe you wrote that, and yet mimic him by using the non-word..."bigly". Or perhaps you are mocking trump ?

Search domain dictionary.comhttps://www.dictionary.com/e/slang/bigly/
"Bigly is a word popularly believed to have been made up and used by US President Donald Trump, meaning "to a large amount" or "with great intensity." It is most often used in mockery of Donald Trump's speech, mannerisms, and behavior".

You are endorsing Youngkin, who is trump-lite....like VA Rep, Bob Good. Youngkin has no platform, he is running on the coattails of others. He will not come out publicly on Pro-Life vs Pro-Choice, for fear of losing potential votes...what kind of candidate is he ?

He has stated this tho': “I want to make sure everybody hears this. On day one, I will issue an order banning the teaching of Critical Race Theory in our schools...”

Great he announced he is going to ban something that has never happened in public schools...how brave. It's like saying, I am going to ban the moon from falling on Virginia....it was never going to happen anyway.

Regards
Gemstone1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia