Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2021, 12:17 PM

7,191 posts, read 6,842,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Jolie-Pitt View Post
Absolutely. He will be a redux of Pat McCrory in NC - campaigns as a moderate, pro-business Republican but governs as a hard-right 700 Club member. NC is still feeling the negative economic effects of that kind of leadership. Be wise, Virginia!
Even at that, McCrory's loss in 2016 was narrow (10,000+ votes). McCrory's refusal to cancel the I-77 toll lane contract is what pushed conservative voters to Cooper. HB2 alone would not have sunk McCrory. I like Cooper, but he wouldn't have won that year if the I-77 toll lane contract wasn't a factor. Cooper was a much stronger candidate in 2020 (won by 248,000+ votes) and Dan Forest was much further to the right than McCrory. Even Trump voters didn't want Forest.

As for VA's race in November, I think McAuliffe will win (unless a major scandal pops up during his campaign), but I don't think his margin of victory will be as large as Biden's was last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2021, 05:04 PM

109 posts, read 158,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural & red View Post
That's a load of B.S. -- drill down into the data and you'll find manipulation and the inclusion of new "metrics" into highly-weighted categories that favor modern progressive "virtues".

According to CNBC's own rankings, Virginia is ranked #26 in Cost of Doing Business (hurt by the 11th highest wage costs in the country), 24th in Infrastructure, 11th in Business Friendliness, 16th in Tech and 32 in Cost of Living.

Repeal the Right-to-Work in the commonwealth and these metrics will further plummet.

Doesn't sound like #1 to me?

Even CNBC admits that North Carolina would've been #1 had they passed "anti-discrimination" bills. This is doctored data to help the Democratic posturing ahead of the election.

Virginia's Economic metrics took the biggest blows according to CNBC's own rankings:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...7cb_story.html

Vote out the democrats. I'm a business owner and have seen first hand the strangling of free enterprise here. Enough is enough.
Lol are you a Virginian? .The facts are social issue should affect business. You think minorities of any kind should be subjugated to discrimination?
What did Terry M do so bad his last term? VA has been on a roll it seems under democratic governorship

Old 07-29-2021, 07:41 PM

605 posts, read 805,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Even at that, McCrory's loss in 2016 was narrow (10,000+ votes). McCrory's refusal to cancel the I-77 toll lane contract is what pushed conservative voters to Cooper. HB2 alone would not have sunk McCrory. I like Cooper, but he wouldn't have won that year if the I-77 toll lane contract wasn't a factor. Cooper was a much stronger candidate in 2020 (won by 248,000+ votes) and Dan Forest was much further to the right than McCrory. Even Trump voters didn't want Forest.

As for VA's race in November, I think McAuliffe will win (unless a major scandal pops up during his campaign), but I don't think his margin of victory will be as large as Biden's was last year.
No.

Old 07-30-2021, 06:32 AM

4,610 posts, read 6,385,954 times
Repeal the Right-to-Work in the commonwealth and these metrics will further plummet.....Really R&R....? More GOP talking points ? Where are your metrics ?

The difference a Union makes: link

"A worker covered by a union contract earns, on average, 11.2% more in wages than a peer with similar education, occupation and experience in a non-unionized workplace in the same sector."

"Education Spending
States with right to work laws spend 31.6% less per student on elementary and secondary education than free bargaining states."

"Low-Wage Jobs
Right to work states have a significantly higher proportion of low-wage jobs (24%) than free bargaining states (14.5%)."

Granted, these are organized labor highlights...but who better to tout the benefits of unions ? It is not likely to be big business or business owners....

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 07-31-2021, 03:20 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,257,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Repeal the Right-to-Work in the commonwealth and these metrics will further plummet.....Really R&R....? More GOP talking points ? Where are your metrics ?

The difference a Union makes: link

"A worker covered by a union contract earns, on average, 11.2% more in wages than a peer with similar education, occupation and experience in a non-unionized workplace in the same sector."

"Education Spending
States with right to work laws spend 31.6% less per student on elementary and secondary education than free bargaining states."

"Low-Wage Jobs
Right to work states have a significantly higher proportion of low-wage jobs (24%) than free bargaining states (14.5%)."

Granted, these are organized labor highlights...but who better to tout the benefits of unions ? It is not likely to be big business or business owners....

Regards
Gemstone1
Yep. Their talking points. Do some research and you'll find plenty of union, former and current, who will also provide talking points that counter what you posted. I am not anti-union but everything I've read it's not the workers dream as many think it is. I also have a problem with unions coming to the rescue of employees that most certainly need to be fired.

Old 07-31-2021, 06:14 AM

"but everything I've read it's not the workers dream as many think it is"...and neither is the "right to pay less" law.

I hope you have also read about the benefits that have been realized by all Americans via organized labor ?

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 07-31-2021, 08:15 AM

346 posts, read 230,309 times
Gemstone, I believe you're arguing for the survivability of unions which no one here is saying must go away.

Unions exist in Right to Work states too, they just don't have the coercive nature that they do in unionized states like NY. We just don't want very strong unions since absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Old 07-31-2021, 05:29 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,068,983 times
An interesting, nuanced editorial in today's Roanoke Times about the governor race:

"What political genius thought it would be a good idea to have every locality in Virginia debate transgender policy in an election year?...Setting off a debate over transgender policy in every city and county in the state works to the benefit of Republicans and makes it harder for Democrats to retain the governorship or anything else in Richmond."

(Please note that the editorial is not criticizing policies regarding transgender students...but questioning the "political strategy" of the Dems.)

https://roanoke.com/opinion/editoria...8ef5dc963.html

Old 08-01-2021, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rural & red View Post
Gemstone, I believe you're arguing for the survivability of unions which no one here is saying must go away.

Unions exist in Right to Work states too, they just don't have the coercive nature that they do in unionized states like NY. We just don't want very strong unions since absolute power corrupts absolutely.
No, I am debating the "big bad ogre" label given to organized labor by the GOP and folks like yourselves.

Virginia would be far better off to abandon the "right to pay less" law. After all, isn't "rising tides lifts all boats" one of the GOP most famous slogans for reducing taxes on big business ? Organized labor raises the standard of living for everyone (to include you and I), not just members, whether they pay dues or not.

Organized labor has a dues policy for a reason, they provide a service to the members, everyone should pay for their share of benefits/services received, don't you think ?

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 08-01-2021, 12:38 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,257,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
No, I am debating the "big bad ogre" label given to organized labor by the GOP and folks like yourselves.

Virginia would be far better off to abandon the "right to pay less" law. After all, isn't "rising tides lifts all boats" one of the GOP most famous slogans for reducing taxes on big business ? Organized labor raises the standard of living for everyone (to include you and I), not just members, whether they pay dues or not.

Organized labor has a dues policy for a reason, they provide a service to the members, everyone should pay for their share of benefits/services received, don't you think ?

Regards
Gemstone1

Again. Do some research. There are many who do not want to be in a union. Unions come in and are voted in, not by all by the way, and now forces all to pay dues. Tell me how it is fair to vote against the union only to be told you now how have to pay them dues? Under the NLRA you cannot be forced to join the union except under certain circumstances and there are circumstances. But my biggest grief is the protection unions can provide to dirty employees. Employees who need to be fired but cannot be due to the unions. I have a nephew who until recently worked side by side with a very dirty union worker who won an appeal getting his job back even after he nearly beat another employee to death. The victim decided he would not testify so the case of course fell apart with no witnesses. Speculation of course is out there on why he decided not to testify. But at least this dirty employee is finally fired (I think) after getting arrested for numerous armed robberies away from the job and is locked up on no bond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia