Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 04:46 PM

19,264 posts, read 17,134,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
Two-Thirds of Virginia is Very Conservative, including our area here in Central and SW Virginia with the exceptions of most Cities and the College Towns. The main reason Virginia votes "Liberal" is because of two words: Northern Virginia.

If NoVa was annexed somehow by DC, you would see very different politics here.
The larger land mass may lean Conservative, but people not acres vote and those numbers lean towards liberal even if it doesn't represent the most square miles. Maybe if the GOP stops running hard right candidates the GOP will win again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2021, 05:02 PM

4,211 posts, read 2,527,057 times
Quote:
By the way, Virginia has been known to produce surpluses many times through the recent years. With Republican Governors as well. They may even have the most surpluses on record, but I would not know how to research that, lol.
Its almost ancient history now, but Governor Gilmore (R) ran out of money before the end of the fiscal year in 2001. By the time he left office in Jan. 2002, VA had a deficit of between $1.3B and $1.5B. His successor, Mark Warner (D) restored fiscal sanity.

In 2010 Gilmore's Secretary of Finance, John Forbes, was sentenced to 10 years in prison for fraud. When Gov. Bob McDonnell was Attorney General a letter was sent to his office about fraud which was ignored. A copy of the letter was then given to a legislator who then gave it to State Police and the FBI was pulled in, resulting in the conviction.

In 2001 Forbes was given a $5 million grant for the Literary Foundation of Virginia. The investigation found that less than $1M was used for the intended purpose, $2.2M had been given to organizations created by Forbes and he and his wife got $1M. This may be the largest financial scandal in VA history - dwarfing the scandal of John Robinson (1705-1766) who as Speaker of the House of Burgess and Treasurer of the Virginia colony was using tax money for his personal use.

Having an outsider come in sounds good, but one has to know where the bones are buried and that's difficult for a newcomer. Virginia is a "strong Governor" state. The Governor has the authority without the approval of the legislature to appoint about 900 people to commissions many of which handle money.

Last edited by webster; 05-18-2021 at 05:28 PM..

Old 05-19-2021, 01:54 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,257,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
The larger land mass may lean Conservative, but people not acres vote and those numbers lean towards liberal even if it doesn't represent the most square miles. Maybe if the GOP stops running hard right candidates the GOP will win again...

I feel this is true and I am not certain people will get this. I for one and sick and tired of the extremists on both sides. I've voted conservative all my 60 plus years and this may change. No, I won't vote for democrats with the current batch out here but either I will not vote or I'll vote independent which really makes no sense either. The fact someone like Amanda Chase has such a large and rabid following just astounds me. But in other states people like AOC and others also have their rabid followers.

Old 05-19-2021, 04:26 AM

4,211 posts, read 2,527,057 times
LOL, I have to say, I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum, but I won't vote for a GOP candidate as long as they kowtow to Trump and this election nonsense - Nick Freitas did not even concede to Spanberger even though he acknowledged the outcome wouldn't change. In short, the GOP is tiring to undermine confidence even in VA.

That said, AOC has no idea how most of the nation lives. That Chase feeds on fear - it is not a surprise; its how Cory Stewart got a GOP nomination also...neither was born in VA and perhaps don't understand we don't like extremes. When we have whether in 1861 or with massive resistance, it has not served us well.

Chase is using George Wallace as a model, for a populist to get a foothold in VA, Henry Howell is a better example. (Note, Wallace later recanted after being born again and asked for forgiveness; some gave it, others did not.)

That said, it seems there is room in the middle where we can meet. Youngkin has a tightrope to walk. So far he's about to fall off to the right.

Last edited by webster; 05-19-2021 at 04:38 AM..

Old 05-19-2021, 07:09 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,408,624 times
Quote:
I was talking Land Mass.

When millions of people are all jammed into one area (Northern VA) and change the direction of our recent politics, that's not what I was referring to.

Old 05-19-2021, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
Its almost ancient history now, but Governor Gilmore (R) ran out of money before the end of the fiscal year in 2001. By the time he left office in Jan. 2002, VA had a deficit of between $1.3B and $1.5B. His successor, Mark Warner (D) restored fiscal sanity.

In 2010 Gilmore's Secretary of Finance, John Forbes, was sentenced to 10 years in prison for fraud. When Gov. Bob McDonnell was Attorney General a letter was sent to his office about fraud which was ignored. A copy of the letter was then given to a legislator who then gave it to State Police and the FBI was pulled in, resulting in the conviction.

In 2001 Forbes was given a $5 million grant for the Literary Foundation of Virginia. The investigation found that less than $1M was used for the intended purpose, $2.2M had been given to organizations created by Forbes and he and his wife got $1M. This may be the largest financial scandal in VA history - dwarfing the scandal of John Robinson (1705-1766) who as Speaker of the House of Burgess and Treasurer of the Virginia colony was using tax money for his personal use.
You've done a good job showing the negative side, now how about the positive side. Remember we are talking surpluses with Republicans in control.

Let's say in about the last 30 years anyway.

Old 05-19-2021, 10:09 AM

19,264 posts, read 17,134,822 times
Quote:
I was talking Land Mass.

When millions of people are all jammed into one area (Northern VA) and change the direction of our recent politics, that's not what I was referring to.
I know you were as I acknowledged that, but voters not acres make the difference as you yourself post.

Old 05-19-2021, 10:50 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,066,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Rural View Post
Youngkin is like the straight laced suburban dad who attends his sons youth ball games wearing a cardigan.
Right. Who made $30M last year, like all suburban dads. And built buildings at the colleges his kids attended

He danced around whether Biden won the election fair and square until he received the nomination.

He has no public service experience and has never held any elected office.

He may not sound like Trump, but scratch the surface and there he is.

Also, his FB page describes him as a “former dishwasher “. Please, he has no idea what the common citizen’s life is like.

Old 05-19-2021, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I know you were as I acknowledged that, but voters not acres make the difference as you yourself post.
You have missed my point. Keeping things simple here, the poster I quoted stated: "One thing that has always appealed to me about VA is that it is liberal".

That is incorrect. If he or another person read that and figured "Hey, I can move to Virginia and it will be Liberal there" in Two-Thirds of the state they would find that to be not true. If a large area is Conservative and a smaller area with a larger population out votes the larger area and the state becomes in Democratic control, that does not change the Conservative area. The People and the Local Governments not only remain the same, they may even become more Conservative in opposition.

Thus if the original poster or anyone else decided to move to Virginia because they believe it is Liberal, they may be in for a shocker.

Old 05-19-2021, 11:05 AM

4,610 posts, read 6,385,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Rural View Post
Youngkin is the most respectable and capable person to run for Governor in a long time. I was supporting Doran but Youngkin was my second choice. He is the opposite of Trump but no push-over moderate either.

McAuliffe is a political stooge who's only meaningful constituents are union thugs and the Hilary wing of the democratic party. Who wants that?

I believe you meant union members. A "thug" is: thug - Dictionary Definition:

thug: 1 n an aggressive and violent young criminal.
Synonyms: goon , hood , hoodlum , punk , strong-armer , tough , toughie Types: bully, a hired thug Type of: criminal , crook , felon , malefactor , outlaw someone who has committed a crime or has been legally convicted of a crime.

That description belongs to the far right, not union members who are expecting nothing more than a fair chance and a fair wage. The Democratic party is more aligned with union members and their goals.

Five Things Unions Have Done For All Americans:

1. Unions Gave Us The Weekend
2. Unions Gave Us Fair Wages And Relative Income
3. Unions Helped End Child Labor
4. Unions Won Widespread Employer-Based Health
5. Unions Spearheaded The Fight For The Family And Medical Leave Act

Regards
Gemstone1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia