Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 06:04 AM

7 posts, read 11,654 times

Advertisements

[quote=DistrictSonic;31572619]Frankly your budget is too low for a rental (or even buying) for a place in this region. $2000 is not going to cut in in a place with good schools, decent commute, that is large enough for your family (my guess 4BR). The region, in general, is expensive. Realistically you are looking at $2500-$3000 for a good area, and honestly that is on the low end and if you get lucky. The places with the best schools are probably far outside of your budget.
In fact I would say it is flat out unrealistic.

We're not expecting to find a SFH with a huge backyard for our budget. We're also ok with a 3 bdrm, as that's what we have now. Our girls are ok with room sharing. Increasing our budget to 3K is not an option. We'd never be able to save money doing that. I have found some decent 3 bdrm apts. and townhouses on Rent.com so I know it's not unrealistic. Difficult to be sure, but not unrealistic. We'll have tight quarters but it's only temporary.

I appreciate your info on the commute from MD to NoVA. I've read on other boards about that being an option but wanted more intel on the logistics of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 06:20 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,260 times
[quote=Rizodea;31573914]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
Frankly your budget is too low for a rental (or even buying) for a place in this region. $2000 is not going to cut in in a place with good schools, decent commute, that is large enough for your family (my guess 4BR). The region, in general, is expensive. Realistically you are looking at $2500-$3000 for a good area, and honestly that is on the low end and if you get lucky. The places with the best schools are probably far outside of your budget.
In fact I would say it is flat out unrealistic.

We're not expecting to find a SFH with a huge backyard for our budget. We're also ok with a 3 bdrm, as that's what we have now. Our girls are ok with room sharing. Increasing our budget to 3K is not an option. We'd never be able to save money doing that. I have found some decent 3 bdrm apts. and townhouses on Rent.com so I know it's not unrealistic. Difficult to be sure, but not unrealistic. We'll have tight quarters but it's only temporary.

I appreciate your info on the commute from MD to NoVA. I've read on other boards about that being an option but wanted more intel on the logistics of it.
Okay for a 3BR apartment you will probably be able to manage, a 3BR house is a different story as houses tend to be a bit more expensive, especially near good school districts. 3BR houses tend to start around the $2300-$2500 level for good communities.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:54 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
I can tell you about the commute from MD to VA. I had been doing that for the past 7 years. If you leave around 6:30 am it will be fine. Any later and forget it. If you can get across the bridge before 3, or use another bridge before then, and take an alternate route like Canal Rd., you should be fine. Any later, forget it. I'm referring to the American Legion bridge on 495. The Wilson bridge might have different times.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:55 AM

709 posts, read 1,130,675 times
Virginia is too bland and conservative. I prefer Maryland. Its more diverse (in many ways, not just people), and more welcoming.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:04 PM

63 posts, read 102,327 times
Collateral Damage:

Re: "Virginia is too bland and conservative. I prefer Maryland. Its more diverse (in many ways, not just people), and more welcoming."

Life in the U.S. (to me) is too bland and conservative. I write from overseas where I spend half the year, then back to "bland" but safe Virginia. "Conservative" but better schools. More high-end shopping retail/restaurants. Much more "diversity" as far as different cultures, especially Asian ethnicities. (Disclaimer: My longtime lady is Vietnamese). "More welcoming"? Geez, that's a tough one. No welcome wagon in my neighborhood even though folks are friendly and crime is nearly non-existent. We also put our felons in jail instead of spoon-feeding them self esteem.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:55 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,990,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collateral View Post
Virginia is too bland and conservative. I prefer Maryland. Its more diverse (in many ways, not just people), and more welcoming.
In what way?

Maryland is one of the most liberal states in the nation. There are at least portions of Virginia that are mixed politically like NoVA and parts of Hampton Roads. Maryland is pretty much mostly liberal with a few conservative spots, but not much in between.

Besides that, what does this have to do with what the OP is asking?

Old 09-29-2013, 04:53 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,574,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
A few people will respond and it will turn political anyway.

Enter political debate...........now. lol

Old 09-29-2013, 05:47 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,823,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Enter political debate...........now. lol
Dude... you like totally PREDICTED THIS WHOLE THREAD! You've got ESP! Make sure you go pick some lottery numbers this week.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:17 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,897,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collateral View Post

Maryland is more diverse?
Why do people in Maryland flock to Virginia? I'll take bland and conservative over this liberal 'anything goes' state but I am stuck here for some years. Bland and conservative means stable infrastructure...MD is lacking there.

The state is so welcoming Beretta is seriously considering a move from the state very soon. Especially after tomorrow. There goes jobs and taxes.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:58 PM

56 posts, read 62,926 times
[quote=DistrictSonic;31574013]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizodea View Post

Okay for a 3BR apartment you will probably be able to manage, a 3BR house is a different story as houses tend to be a bit more expensive, especially near good school districts. 3BR houses tend to start around the $2300-$2500 level for good communities.
The OP would be really lucky to find a 3Br house for that price. I live in the 20816 area. I know of a very cozy 2 bedroom house renting out for $3,500. Another cozy 3 bedroom is going for $3,200. A neighbor of mine is renting out their basement for $2,000. I'm renting out an investment property in Oxon Hill, Md for $1,800.00

I think the schools in this zip code area are good (Walt Whitman High School, Pyle Middle School). But I think they are better in VA.
i
I agree with some of the other posts; if you work in VA it's probably best to live there.

Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland