Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 01:54 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,719 times

Advertisements

They are not going to escape the high prices in either Virginia or Maryland for a good school district. The area is pricey in general. It is great if there are two professionals working, but is out of bounds for those who are more middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 07:53 AM

490 posts, read 924,891 times
[quote=kbf2324;31636137]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post

The OP would be really lucky to find a 3Br house for that price. I live in the 20816 area. I know of a very cozy 2 bedroom house renting out for $3,500. Another cozy 3 bedroom is going for $3,200. A neighbor of mine is renting out their basement for $2,000. I'm renting out an investment property in Oxon Hill, Md for $1,800.00

I think the schools in this zip code area are good (Walt Whitman High School, Pyle Middle School). But I think they are better in VA.
i
I agree with some of the other posts; if you work in VA it's probably best to live there.

Good Luck.

Your crazy....Montgomery County and Howard match NoVa in wealth and good schools...........Please explain to me WHY does everyone compare 1 county (Montgomery County) to the REST of NoVa........NoVa has Loudoun, Arlington, Fairfax, Alexandria, and Prince Williams.........I feel there has to be some deep down resentment toward MONTGOMERY County to up against one County

Old 10-07-2013, 05:59 AM

631 posts, read 1,396,890 times
[quote=MrMaryland455;31671493]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbf2324 View Post

Your crazy....Montgomery County and Howard match NoVa in wealth and good schools...........Please explain to me WHY does everyone compare 1 county (Montgomery County) to the REST of NoVa........NoVa has Loudoun, Arlington, Fairfax, Alexandria, and Prince Williams.........I feel there has to be some deep down resentment toward MONTGOMERY County to up against one County
I think people resent Montgomery County because of the MDPU Program that it offers. You can basically live anywhere in the county and pay less $$ in rent that your neighbors if you have certain income. Its not Section 8, but affordable housing.

Howard and Montgomery Counties are the top 2 wealthiest counties in MD. I cant speak on NoVa except as I dont live there and only go there to shop (Tysons Corner).

Old 10-07-2013, 03:13 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,089,978 times
If the taxes in MD are offset by the cost of housing in VA, and in the end you spend about the same amount, how much of the taxes will you get back when you sell your house in MD, vs what you get back in equity in VA? I have yet to hear of anyone getting back what they have paid in taxes when they sell their house anywhere.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:36 PM

299 posts, read 557,425 times
Default RE: MDPU program

To be honest? What I resent the most is that housing prices out here are so inflated, MoCo actually *needs* such a program at all!

When I first moved up here (a little over a year ago now), I thought I probably just had a lot to learn about which areas had better housing deals and so forth. Now that I've become much more familiar with the area, I've realized there's generally no such thing. An awful lot of people who've lived here a long time seem to have convinced themselves that a cramped, aging townhouse is in fact a "really nice place to live" and worth the money. The people who actually DO live in what I'd call "nice homes" are all among the upper-class wealthy. (Heck ... every time I see a nice 2 story Colonial style home or something like that with a big front porch or even a home with an attached 2 or 3 car garage and nice driveway, a quick look at Zillow or Realtor.com shows it last sold for somewhere slightly north of the $1 million range.)

Ok, I'm being a little bit negative here and I admit it. But I just can't get over the differences. Do a housing search in, say, Dallas, TX or the Houston, TX area sometime and check out what $350K or so gets you there! Take a look in Kansas City or St. Louis, Missouri (where I'm originally from). I haven't seen housing so inflated anywhere before other than California or New York City, and at least there, you get certain perks or presumed status that comes with the geographical area. (The rest of the nation is simply NOT going to find anything too exciting about the fact you own a home in Rockville or Germantown or even Bethesda, MD, folks.)

[quote=EducatedBro82;31706662]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaryland455 View Post

I think people resent Montgomery County because of the MDPU Program that it offers. You can basically live anywhere in the county and pay less $$ in rent that your neighbors if you have certain income. Its not Section 8, but affordable housing.

Howard and Montgomery Counties are the top 2 wealthiest counties in MD. I cant speak on NoVa except as I dont live there and only go there to shop (Tysons Corner).

Old 10-09-2013, 12:07 PM

490 posts, read 924,891 times
[quote=tw71;31733231]To be honest? What I resent the most is that housing prices out here are so inflated, MoCo actually *needs* such a program at all!

When I first moved up here (a little over a year ago now), I thought I probably just had a lot to learn about which areas had better housing deals and so forth. Now that I've become much more familiar with the area, I've realized there's generally no such thing. An awful lot of people who've lived here a long time seem to have convinced themselves that a cramped, aging townhouse is in fact a "really nice place to live" and worth the money. The people who actually DO live in what I'd call "nice homes" are all among the upper-class wealthy. (Heck ... every time I see a nice 2 story Colonial style home or something like that with a big front porch or even a home with an attached 2 or 3 car garage and nice driveway, a quick look at Zillow or Realtor.com shows it last sold for somewhere slightly north of the $1 million range.)

Ok, I'm being a little bit negative here and I admit it. But I just can't get over the differences. Do a housing search in, say, Dallas, TX or the Houston, TX area sometime and check out what $350K or so gets you there! Take a look in Kansas City or St. Louis, Missouri (where I'm originally from). I haven't seen housing so inflated anywhere before other than California or New York City, and at least there, you get certain perks or presumed status that comes with the geographical area. (The rest of the nation is simply NOT going to find anything too exciting about the fact you own a home in Rockville or Germantown or even Bethesda, MD, folks.)

For one thing DALLAS, HOUSTON, AND ST LOUIS don't make up the job market Washington D.C. area does.....So that why its SO MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE here than Down south......... That why we're alway compare To New York and San Fransico because the wealth is concentrated

Old 10-09-2013, 08:02 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,089,978 times
If you think Bethesda and the rest of the MD suburbs are expensive, take a drive along Reno Ave in DC, and then look at Reno in Zillow. I was shocked when I did that.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:45 PM

709 posts, read 1,130,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renznceman View Post
We also put our felons in jail instead of spoon-feeding them self esteem.
See? This is why I like Maryland. I don't need to hear Fox News talking points every two seconds over here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland