Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2007, 08:23 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,478,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessy0780 View Post
Obviously, if you read my posts carefully, you'd see that I'm not generalizing, and you take things entirely too literally- I was judging my neighborhood- the one I grew up in and lived in until 2 years ago. When I say that robberries don't happen everywhere, it should have been obvious that robberies are not prevalent everywhere- as they are in that shopping center in Riverdale where I was robbed- which I was told by the police officer. It was a Friday, and he said that he had been to that shopping center on calls 4 times that week- 2 car thefts, and a robbery at Rite Aid, in addition to my call.
And the crime is always reported about in Howard County- simply because it's not as common. Of course there is the same types of petty thefts, and we have murders and violence- just nowhere near the same scale as a lot of other areas- which is my whole point. Obviously, there will never be an area completely devoid of crime, but I prefer for my family to live in an area where there is less chance of it. And honestly, I got sick and tired of watching neighbors and family members deal with car thefts, and robberies, etc. No one thinks the "world's crumbling"- I saw many years of problems that I sincerely hope will be fixed- no opinion was based on one little incident. Maybe now, with leaders that seem to actually care about the county, things will change- I certainly hope so. No one wants to think of their hometown being beyond repair, and I don't think that at all.
That sounds like a bad place, a place where I wouldn't go. My point is that place should not carryover to every place in the county. There are bad places everywhere and this one in riverdale appears very bad. I'm a PG proponent as you could imagine but I know it's not perfect, but no place is. Crime in PG is concentrated for the most part(no, I don't need stats to know this) in specific areas which represent a small percentage of the county but when a crime is committed, the news almost always says "live from PG county" thus deamonizing the entire county. In other areas they'll say, "live from Reston, Columbia, Bailey's Crossroads etc.". They ID that town specifically not the entire county. Most people wont even know what county they're talking about. Anyway, stay out of that shopping center.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:42 AM

144 posts, read 630,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
That sounds like a bad place, a place where I wouldn't go. My point is that place should not carryover to every place in the county. There are bad places everywhere and this one in riverdale appears very bad. I'm a PG proponent as you could imagine but I know it's not perfect, but no place is. Crime in PG is concentrated for the most part(no, I don't need stats to know this) in specific areas which represent a small percentage of the county but when a crime is committed, the news almost always says "live from PG county" thus deamonizing the entire county. In other areas they'll say, "live from Reston, Columbia, Bailey's Crossroads etc.". They ID that town specifically not the entire county. Most people wont even know what county they're talking about. Anyway, stay out of that shopping center.
I was going to post such as you are exactly right in the reporting of the news. Fox is good for this. "Reporting from Prince Georges County this is John Doe."
"Reporting live from Rockville this is John Doe."

Again the county has troubled spots that I will not frequent at all. If if were a victim of crime on multiple occasions surely relocation would have to be considered.

It is no rocket science to realize that the bulk of the crime stems from the "affordable" garden apartments in the community. This is why many jurisdictions limit multiple unit housing or they are upscale to attract more affluent residents. As LaurelEngineer stated it is cruel to go this route in purging the county of such housing as many law abiding citizens are affected in the process however that is what you are going to see in the entire DC metropolitan area.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:21 AM

Default It's happening in Suitland

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFMD View Post
I was going to post such as you are exactly right in the reporting of the news. Fox is good for this. "Reporting from Prince Georges County this is John Doe."
"Reporting live from Rockville this is John Doe."

Again the county has troubled spots that I will not frequent at all. If if were a victim of crime on multiple occasions surely relocation would have to be considered.

It is no rocket science to realize that the bulk of the crime stems from the "affordable" garden apartments in the community. This is why many jurisdictions limit multiple unit housing or they are upscale to attract more affluent residents. As LaurelEngineer stated it is cruel to go this route in purging the county of such housing as many law abiding citizens are affected in the process however that is what you are going to see in the entire DC metropolitan area.
Several years ago, they demolished oxford knolls apts. on suitland road and built brand new apt/homes and the neighborhood improved dramatically. They're doing the same thing on Homer and Huron Ave near Suitland High and that area has also improved. With the census bureau expanding, Andrews AFB down the road and the metro right there, that area is bound to blow-up.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:27 AM

109 posts, read 618,027 times
Quote:
Several years ago, they demolished oxford knolls apts. on suitland road and built brand new apt/homes and the neighborhood improved dramatically. They're doing the same thing on Homer and Huron Ave near Suitland High and that area has also improved. With the census bureau expanding, Andrews AFB down the road and the metro right there, that area is bound to blow-up.
Homer and Huron used to be considered the deadliest 2 streets in the county before they closed Suitland Manor. Now they will be the site of the Town Center.

Suitland Manor Redevelopment

Are you sure you can't find a job in the DC area? I really hate seeing residents like yourself leave the county.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I don't remember the name of the apartment complex next to the census bureau however I visited the area on several occasions prior to it being torn down. It was not a nice sight. The new makeup of that region is impressive.

Once they rebuild that entire area hopefully there will be enough community spirit to maintain that region. Maat indicated at a recent community meeting related to the project there was standing room only so people are not apathetic and that is a good thing.

Prince Georges County is at the cusp of great things. Financially the current leadership is managing the economics of this county very well as evident in wall street bond rating increases.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat View Post
Homer and Huron used to be considered the deadliest 2 streets in the county before they closed Suitland Manor. Now they will be the site of the Town Center.

Suitland Manor Redevelopment

Are you sure you can't find a job in the DC area? I really hate seeing residents like yourself leave the county.
I really wish I could stay but the job of my dreams is up there. If I'm lucky I'll be able to transfer back here in couple years. I'll remain attached as my extended family is still here.

Many areas in PG are like the Suitland, Forestville, District Heights area. They're only about 2-3 bad apt. complexes away from being truly great places. If you ride through the residential neighborhoods, they are well kept and nice.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:45 AM

57 posts, read 297,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFMD View Post
For the record I have paid attention to your post. Not to be engaging I want to make sure the record is straight. The PG County of yesterday during the Glandening years has changed. Many times people comment on the county based upon past experiences. Not to say some of the negative element does not remain as it does however this land is prime property being adjacent to the nation's capital and I 'am witnessing this change. It is going to take some time however Prince Georges County is in transition.

I try to post links or facts to support my claims.

For the record your statement that there is a lack of economic activity along route 1 is false. As a matter of fact the opposite is occurring. From the Hyattsville corridor through College Park and into Laurel on route 1 major development is taking place or is slated to occur.

Hyattsville corridor:
Arts District Hyattsville: Urban Rowhomes & Live-work Homes in Hyattsville, MD

http://www.eya.com/index.cfm?fuseact...A3603BE2A20190

If you click on the link for "the homes" you will see the live-work units are already sold out despite the fact that none of the construction has started.

College Park corridor:

The Village at College Park on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rethinkcollegepark/492739312/in/photostream/ - broken link)

College Park West - The Jefferson on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rethinkcollegepark/492739308/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Early Rendering of CP City Hall Condo Project on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rethinkcollegepark/390765994/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Camden at College Park on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rethinkcollegepark/361630572/ - broken link)

Laurel Corridor:

Laurel Connections: The NEW Mall at Laurel

Konterra to be developed along route 198 is a massive project that will also transform that region: Konterra Realty - Town Center Charrette 2006

Down the street from College Park in Greenbelt a massive mixed used development:

Greenbelt Station on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rethinkcollegepark/393171716/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Greenbelt Station Towne Centre on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rethinkcollegepark/382427121/in/photostream/ - broken link)

I 'am not going to get into the route 450 corridor however let me say development is occurring in a major way.

Why would developers come to an area with a great deal of poverty as you have indicated? The last I checked the poverty in Prince Georges County is actually decreasing despite the increase in the minority population and increasing in Howard County:
Rich Md. Counties See Poverty Levels Grow

The National Harbor is not going to be some aberration in a small section of Prince Georges County. Development is taking place throughout the entire county. The land is too valuable.
Let me just add one more:
Patriot Group plans major mixed-use project in Laurel

The City of Laurel is in a unique position, because it controls its own zoning and permitting. So developers don't have to go thru the County to get approval for anything. It's the only municipality in the County with that kind of power. Personally, I wish College Park had that power. If they did, Route 1 would already look like what it is going to look like in 5 to 10 years - Beautiful.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:21 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,246,328 times
Suitland Manor had to have been the ugliest apartment complex in the state. It was never a pretty site. With that being bulldozed Suitland will be a great inner beltway community. On a recent visit back to Suitland I noticed that giant water tower which sat at Suitland and Silver Hill roads is gone. When did that come down?

Old 06-23-2007, 07:54 AM

109 posts, read 618,027 times
That's funny, I had forgotten all about that big red and white monstrosity. I don't know exactly when it came down, but it probably coincided with the building of the new census bureau complex. There's a new water tower further up Suitland road near whitehall square. What did you think of the new Census Bureau? I really love that building. From a distance those wavy "fins" that cover the building look like metal, but they are actually wood.

U.S. Census Bureau Headquarters - Architectural Record Buildling Types Study

2nd and 3rd photos are renderings of the completed campus:
U.S. Census Bureau Headquarters

Old 06-23-2007, 10:49 AM

Default Wow

I have not been in the area for some time. It is beautiful. I did not know it was that extensive. It looks high tech.

The bureau will be the impetus to maintain the beauty in that region and spur economic development in the community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland