Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2007, 04:24 PM

175 posts, read 733,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymatters View Post
"You used alot of exclamation points.

and for the record I didn't give excuses, I gave you reasons. I gave you explanations. You gave me pull yourself up by the bootstraps rhetoric."

I'm sorry, but pull yourself up by the boostraps is the best advice you could give these knuckleheads that live in your neighborhood. Hell, they use every excuse in the book to explain why they fail.

To cure a disease you treat the sickness not the symptoms.

When and where did i not give a "cure" for the disease? The disease is simple shiftless, lazy, anti educational, poor choices, and to be nice losers, that do not have a winning attitude! You want a cure it is simple use your head! Think before you act and live a good and just life. Poor is no excuse for murder, theft, and any other social lawless act these PG "ghetto" people committ!!

You offered not one single solution. Not one. Telling people to stop being poor and selling drugs probably wont do the trick.

First of all I would never say to someone "Hey, you poor person, stop being poor!" Do not pervert my words. What I would say is "Hey poor person, do you like being poor? To which i'm sure they would respond "No!" Then I would say well, here's how not to be poor in America.

1. Take responsibility for your actions (STOP BLAMING OTHERS!)
2. Get off your lazy shiftless a$$ and get a job (start small get experience then go bigger)
3. Get an education
4. Follow the law
5. Once you have experience if you really want to get risky start your own business

It is really that simple!!!

I don't see the point of going back and forth. I don't forsee either of us changing our stance. I understand but do not condone lawless activity. You do not understand the power of the media and you think people are deviant because they have nothing better to do. I disagree. What a predicament.

You're right you’re what someone would call an enabler. I am not going to insult your intelligence by explaining what an enabler is, but you are one for all of those thugs in your neighborhood! You along with anyone else that says something as silly as "I do not agree with crime, but i understand." Do you actually listen to yourself when you speak? What you said is the equivalent of me saying I do not agree with pedophilia, but I totally understand why adults want to have sex with children! Do you get how silly that sounds?

Last Point:

PG may have some of the worst, I'll give you that, but PG also has some of the best and dude that can't be said about many other areas of Maryland.
The best what? Basketball player, drug dealers, football players or the best basketball football playing drug dealers? The best suburban thugs?

PG has good points yes, but a lot of places have the best so please clarify what PG has the best of, that's all i'm asking! You can also clarify what they have the worst of just so we are clear.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:17 PM

57 posts, read 297,553 times
Default nobel prize winner good enough for ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by howsitgoingdude3 View Post
The best what? Basketball player, drug dealers, football players or the best basketball football playing drug dealers? The best suburban thugs?

PG has good points yes, but a lot of places have the best so please clarify what PG has the best of, that's all i'm asking! You can also clarify what they have the worst of just so we are clear.
How about this year's nobel prize winner in Physics? He lives in Hyattsville and works in Greenbelt. Last I checked, both burbs are in Prince Georges. How many Nobel winners are in your County?

Seriously, you must be either very young or are very selective in which information you choose to obtain and retain. If you don't like some place - Leave. If you have already left, why do you care so damn much about it?

Old 07-05-2007, 02:12 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,074,109 times
The Next American City (http://www.americancity.org/article.php?id_article=135 - broken link)

"The Next American City" explains PG County's woes here.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:36 AM

165 posts, read 564,200 times
Default Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
The Next American City (http://www.americancity.org/article.php?id_article=135 - broken link)

I have seen this author on Tavis' show before. Thanks for the link!

BC

Old 07-05-2007, 08:01 AM

91 posts, read 484,192 times
Quote:

Thanks for the link!

The author makes very valid points

Old 07-05-2007, 08:10 AM

91 posts, read 484,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurelengineer View Post
How about this year's nobel prize winner in Physics? He lives in Hyattsville and works in Greenbelt. Last I checked, both burbs are in Prince Georges. How many Nobel winners are in your County?

Seriously, you must be either very young or are very selective in which information you choose to obtain and retain. If you don't like some place - Leave. If you have already left, why do you care so damn much about it?
Laurel - Pay Dude no mind, his 5 tips sound as if a 10th grader wrote it.

Dude - You seem to lack a sound foundation to speak on such complex issues. Please feel free to actually gather some experience or knowledge on a particular topic before spouting nonsensical tirades. I understand your frustrations, but many of those frustrations stem from your strereotypical assumptions of what poor people are like and why?

Your brain needs an enema

Old 07-05-2007, 08:11 AM

109 posts, read 618,027 times
Quote:

She makes some good points in her article and this is a great topic for discussion. On each of her five points there is overwhelming evidence that shows PGC is well on it's way.

1. I can escape neighborhoods of poverty, particularly black ones.

There are many poor neighborhoods in the county, but they are far outnumbered by middle/upper income neighborhoods. There are large numbers of politically and socially conscious people in PGC who see this particular issue not as a burden but as a challenge to help people achieve a better quality of life. We understand there is no such thing as an escape.

2. My children will be able to attend good public schools. They will be prepared, maybe even well prepared, for college

Great progress has been made in the schools. Funding is not an issue and test scores are improving every year. Just in the last 2 years we have 2 new blue ribbon schools - Heather Hills Elementary in Bowie and Glenarden Woods Elementary in Glenarden. An article from a University Park resident who is a professor at UMCP - What John Deasy Is Up Against - washingtonpost.com.

If Mayor Fenty is successful in his attempts to improve DC public schools, then over time fewer DC residents will be trying to "escape" to PGC. So best of luck to Mr. Fenty. So far, he is exciting to watch - I think he represents the next generation of leadership.

3. My neighborhood will be free from crime.

Crime-free does not exist, but crime in PGC continues to trend downward from the record highs in 2005. Homicides in May and June of this year are the lowest totals for those months in 5 or 6 years. PGC has 1430 officers to cover ~500 square miles. In contract, DC has 3800 officers to cover ~70 sq miles. People will say, yes but it's a suburban county not a city, but many areas close to DC are more urban than suburban. PGPD has to continue to grow the department.

4. My property taxes will be manageable, and I will receive better government services at lower cost than I would in the city.

Yep, taxes are high, but commercial investment is hot right now and will continue to be for the foreseeable future. This will take some of the burden off of individuals. Many of the companies moving in are well known for investing in the communities where they do business, like Wegmans and Gaylord.

5. I will be able to shop and buy all the things I want and need, at stores located near where I live. I will have a nice range of options for eating out near where I live.

We can't even keep up with the stores and restaurants that are coming into the county. National Harbor in Fort Washington, Bowie is booming, Konterra and other projects in Laurel, the Landover corridor, Suitland Town Center, Bladensburg Town Center, College Park, the Hyattsville Arts District - which was praised in today's Post. Other PGC residents like RFMD and laurelengineer have posted many links. The list goes on and on.

In her article Ms Cashin stated:

"If this county, with its relatively affluent middle-class population base, cannot transcend the racial biases set against it, if it cannot approximate the American suburban dream for its residents, then I do not see how any other black community could."

She wrote this article in 2004. I would invite her back to take a second look. Never underestimate what a politically and socially conscious group of people with a vision can accomplish.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheasare View Post
I have seen this author on Tavis' show before. Thanks for the link!

BC
Did you happen to catch the presidential debate broadcast from Howard U last week that Tavis hosted? Tavis paid the way for 4 young men who were washing cars to raise money to attend. That was a great story. And it was one of the best debates I've seen so far.

Last edited by maat; 07-05-2007 at 08:52 AM..

Old 07-05-2007, 07:44 PM

144 posts, read 630,999 times
There is no evidence that such is happening in Prince Georges County. In fact the evidence points to the exact opposite occurring.

When Wayne Curry took leadership of this county there was a 108 million dollar deficit inherited from Paris Glandening's long standing tenure as county executive. As a resident of this county during these times as I mentioned previously the county was mired in stagnation and lack of economic growth. That is readily apparent to those who experienced that era. There is no longer a deficit and the county is now being managed in a fiscally responsible manner as evident in the bond rating increase on Wall Street. The housing stock in building-out the county henceforth has been upscale and subsequently there has been a large migration of affluent African Americans that have decided to call this county their home. Economic growth regarding commercial starts in the county is unsurpassed in this region. Upscale retail is trickling into the county. The National Harbor will be a significant contributor to spur continued upscale economic development in this county. The county is finally making its mark and the best is yet to come.

As evident in a previous post the poverty rate of county residents is on par with surrounding counties and has decreased from 5.25% to 4.25% during the migration of affluent African Americans into the county corroborating the direction this county is heading not increasing. There is no mass exodus of affluent African Americans out of the county. They are building it and they are coming and that's a fact.

If you look at the economic outlook for the county as indicated in Prince Georges 5-year economic strategy in 2005 the plan clearly states its objectives:

Objective #1 under the redevelopment of established communities clearly states that the county is going to avoid being the default area for housing to those who have been priced out of the District by placing middle and upper income housing in those communities that border the District during its redevelopment. Their initial focus involves the Landover corridor, Suitland and the Central Avenue Corridor. Homeownership is the focus of the redevelopment plans as evident by the Washington post article posted by Laurelengineer in this thread outlining the decrease in affordable housing in Prince Georges County and surrounding jurisdictions.

This county in Florida is looking at the efforts of this county regarding redevelopment of its urban core that they wanted to partner with the Prince Georges. the article "sisters no more" is on the bottom:

On the Road to Higher Bond Ratings - washingtonpost.com

In terms of crime, funding towards public safety has increased significantly over the last 3 years and the numbers show crime is trending downwards. I don't know about anybody else however I see police cars all over the county when I 'am driving now. however the major factor towards decreasing this trend will be the redevelopment of the established communities and the increase in homeownership within these communities which is evident. If you have a vested interest in your community you will naturally be concerned about your investment by caring about what is going on in your community no matter what the cost of your home. It is my hope that those who are financially challenged and want to purchase a home will have the opportunity to do so.

With all the development, the hiring of a dynamic superintendent and fully funding the public school budget the school system is improving as indicated by previous links and will continue to improve. With the migration of affluent individuals into the county there will be a demand for a better educational system which you see is happening. The county leadership have made it clear that a first rate public educational system is a priority and the economic resources are being directed to do just that. If the county stays the course in improving the public schools I predict Prince Georges will be on par with neighboring jurisdictions within the next 7-10 years.

This article points to the fact that with the growing affluence and upscale developments whites are trickling into the county.

For Whites in Prince George's, a Mirror on Race - washingtonpost.com

I live next to this development and visit often to see the demographics and I can say I see a number of white families living among a black majority. The value system and aspirations are the same regardless of color- By the way this is a beautiful planned community with its own retail center.

Can what is being said in the article occur? Certainly if the leadership changes course and drops the ball. However, thus far evidence points to that not being the case.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFMD View Post
I don't know about anybody else however I see police cars all over the county when I 'am driving now.
That's funny you should say that. I was just saying to a friend last week that I see patrol cars everywhere now, when I used to see one only occassionally where I live. I thought maybe there was some new PGPD facility near me. It's all about funding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland