Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 03:33 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,210,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLET View Post
What I mean is people who are trying way too hard to be something they are not.

Fake. Trendy. Wanna-be urban.

"Let me post a picture of myself in front of the Capitol and upload it onto my Facebook page so all of my family and friends back home can see how urban I am now."

"Like, like, like, like, like, like, Yah!"

I am sure you have come across those kinds of people in your time living here.

There have always been such people here but more and more of those types have been invading DC recently.

I __________________ THEM!!!!!!!

(Use your imagination)
Those types of people are difficult to listen to...regardless if you are a native, a newcomer, a passerby, black, white or green...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 03:46 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,210,300 times
As to the native/non-native point.

I got blood that goes back to the French finding Detroit...(the name 'Detroit' is French). I also have a few generations of Irish who lived right about where Tiger Stadium is right now. My great-grandfather was one of (unsure exactly but probably a lot of) kids born and raised in Detroit, and my grandfather one of his 17 kids born and raised there. Typical Irish of that time.

But if I went down to Detroit and told everyone to get out of there, I have more long-time history there with my family than anyone else there...they'd take one look at my French/Irish ass and tell me to get the hell out of there...

Things change, what are you going to do. Even if Washington DC was suddenly given back to the Algonquian Indians, it would be in the sad shape of a Reservation.

Things always change...who can say what is better or worse...it depends on one's perspective.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:09 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,216,056 times
Washington Bullet... please tell me how I'm a yuppie just because I'm not native. In fact, this yuppie probably makes less than you. I have a BLUE-COLLAR job. That's not being a yuppie. I work for a fire department, you know the people you call when you need help, and can't afford my own place unless I move about an hour away. I spend plenty of my time working with natives and serving natives of this city. Even though I work in troubled parts of DC with plenty of DC natives on the job with me for terrible pay, I still don't belong here. Funny that you're the only one that always disagrees with me and always has a problem with me.

How am I stupid because I think SW has potential? It's already reached it? How? I don't understand how you can say that it's better when it's full of projects and nothing to do compared to the plans for a nice waterfront with restaurants, bars and shops.

PLEASE explain yourself for once.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:18 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,566,360 times
Quote:
Your comment about the city being in much better shape now than it has been in decades is not 100% true and you know that, but to each his/her own.
"Better shape" means better infrastructure, better upkeep, more neighborhood amenities, less crime and functional city services.

I don't really think it is debateable that all of those things have improved--in many cases dramatically--over the last 10-15 years. Now, you may argue that the trade-off associated with these improvements--higher housing values, more traffic, an influx of people you don't like into the city--wasn't worth it. That's your call to make, I suppose. But I don't really see room to argue that the city was in better shape 20 years ago than it is now, particularly considering that things were so poorly run in the city during that time that DC was on the precipice of reverting back to the federal control board.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:21 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,566,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Also, if 1991 was so awesome what can we do to restore DC to its "former glory", because we can't kick out the "transplants".
Re-elect Marion "Marry for Life" Barry. That will certainly get you started.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:28 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,247,771 times
Quote:

Cost of living. The cost of living here is insane and has skyrocked out of control compared to 1991.

Do not even get me started on the inflated prices on some of these urban condos that have been popping up everywhere.

Traffic and reliability of public transportation. The traffic here now is much worse than in 1991 by far.

RFK Stadium and the Redskins in 1991. FedEx field is a nightmare.

I intentionally left out nightclubs, bars, restaurants, riots etc... from this posting because those things are all a matter of personal taste though I could easily argue the state of music and going out on the town in 1991 was much better than it is right now.
Well no argument that the cost of living is extremely high. I remember I was talking to this New Yorker who commented about how affordable DC was. I didn't know whether to laugh or slap him. So I suppose its all about perspective. Now that I make a little more money I can start looking at spending $1000 for a place needless to say I've been pretty disappointed by how little $1000 gets me especially in Arlington. So I understand your hurt feelings regarding the cost of living. Looking at want ads is a painful process these days but you know its tough everywhere. Not much can be done to reduce the cost of living unfortunately.

Transportation is definitely an issue that our lawmakers need to address. The silver line is great but hardly enough to solve the traffic woes of this region. I can't speak for Maryland but the highways in Virginia just were not designed to support the 2 million+ people that live on this side of the Potomac alone. The fact that a new bridge hasn't been built crossing the river since the 60s, nearly half a century and well over a million people ago, is a sad state of affairs.

Really the Redskins? That's on the same scale as bars, nightlife, and shopping by being purely subjective. More so for me since I don't follow football.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:33 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,717,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Re-elect Marion "Marry for Life" Barry. That will certainly get you started.
One can argue that the Barry administration helped jumpstart gentrification...

Old 02-02-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
"Better shape" means better infrastructure, better upkeep, more neighborhood amenities, less crime and functional city services.

I don't really think it is debateable that all of those things have improved--in many cases dramatically--over the last 10-15 years. Now, you may argue that the trade-off associated with these improvements--higher housing values, more traffic, an influx of people you don't like into the city--wasn't worth it. That's your call to make, I suppose. But I don't really see room to argue that the city was in better shape 20 years ago than it is now, particularly considering that things were so poorly run in the city during that time that DC was on the precipice of reverting back to the federal control board.
Thank you. I totally forgot to mention that the higher prices and traffic woes are part of the growing pains that come with DC's improvement both in city and suburb. DC becomes a better place to live so unfortunately that does drive up real estate values. That's going to happen in any area that undergoes improvement not just DC.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
One can argue that the Barry administration helped jumpstart gentrification...
How so? You don't think gentrification would have happened with or without Mr. Barry?

Old 02-02-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
Washington Bullet... please tell me how I'm a yuppie just because I'm not native. In fact, this yuppie probably makes less than you. I have a BLUE-COLLAR job. That's not being a yuppie. I work for a fire department, you know the people you call when you need help, and can't afford my own place unless I move about an hour away. I spend plenty of my time working with natives and serving natives of this city. Even though I work in troubled parts of DC with plenty of DC natives on the job with me for terrible pay, I still don't belong here. Funny that you're the only one that always disagrees with me and always has a problem with me.

How am I stupid because I think SW has potential? It's already reached it? How? I don't understand how you can say that it's better when it's full of projects and nothing to do compared to the plans for a nice waterfront with restaurants, bars and shops.

PLEASE explain yourself for once.
I think that was a reference to all the nightspots that were torn down when the Nationals stadium was built. I've heard from many of the old timers (those that have been here for 10+ years) lament the lost of the wild and rowdy bars on O Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC