Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 02:00 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,689,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Rarely happens that way, but he can legally own a gun in the home now, regardless of how stupid that may be.
Yeah, owning a gun is SO stupid

Typical liberal drivel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 02:49 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Yeah, owning a gun is SO stupid

Typical liberal drivel.
Thinking a gun in the house makes the inhabitants safer is what is stupid.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:47 PM

>Guy breaks into my house and I don't have a gun, I can't do much except pray
>Guy breaks into my house and I have a gun, I can neutralize the threat

Old 01-20-2012, 03:09 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,726,689 times
Insulting each other on an Internet forum - that's what is stupid. Please stop and calm down.
Yac.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:42 AM

130 posts, read 281,914 times
Quote:
Thinking a gun in the house makes the inhabitants safer is what is stupid.
It's not a good idea if you are not trained to use it.

However, DC requires mandatory safety training and a competency test. So it makes a gun much more effective in home security. Add a good means of securing the gun with voice, biometric or key locks and it adds another assurance that the gun will not be used against you.

Choosing the appropriate weapon and caliber further assures that a loose bullet will not penetrate a wall and go into a neighboring property (shotguns are good for this-but messy, otherwise stick with .22 thru .38 or 9mm.)

I argue with gun nuts (I use that term with affection) that a .22 is effective (over other larger calibers) for home defense because "Who wants to get shot by ANY kind of bullet!". Further, a .22 is quiet. Shot indoors, no one outside can hear it. More people killed in North America with .22s than any other round. A .22 will ricochet inside the criminal ribcage like an angry bee, puncturing organs and ripping arteries as it shatters and scatters. Best case - the criminal realizing he has been shot, will run out of your home and die 2 or 3 blocks away. A man was found dead on the corner of.... apparent gunshot wound... no one in the neighborhood reported shots fired at all.

Oh, and ALWAYS DOUBLE-TAP!!

One of my employees once lamented to me that he could not get a gun and felt his neighborhood was unsafe.

I told him "You don't need a gun! .... You need a crossbow!"

There are still restrictions on projectile weapons like crossbows, but you do not need an FFL to transfer. So just drive over to Bass Pro Shops in MD, or VA and get a 100 pound pull crossbow - about $200 on sale.

If it'll stop a deer, it'll stop a criminal with a weapon.

Get some good hunting points on an aluminum or graphite shaft. That's 4 tiny blades spinning at over one thousand pounds of pressure per square inch, cutting through flesh and bone, severing arteries and mutilating internal organs. It's low velocity and it will penetrate a wall, but not go completely through it.

What's nice is you can fire it and the neighbors will not know. No one calls the cops. Let the perp bleed out, then roll him up in a tarp and drag him out to a wood chipper or dump on a country road somewhere.

My employee nodded in agreement and got himself a crossbow that weekend!

Last edited by BillHoo; 01-20-2012 at 06:56 AM..

Old 01-20-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
>Guy breaks into my house and I don't have a gun, I can't do much except pray
>Guy breaks into my house and I have a gun, I can neutralize the threat
Very few home invasions, fewer still where a gun would make a difference, but family on family gun violence is pretty common.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillHoo View Post
It's not a good idea if you are not trained to use it.

However, DC requires mandatory safety training and a competency test. So it makes a gun much more effective in home security. Add a good means of securing the gun with voice, biometric or key locks and it adds another assurance that the gun will not be used against you.

Choosing the appropriate weapon and caliber further assures that a loose bullet will not penetrate a wall and go into a neighboring property (shotguns are good for this-but messy, otherwise stick with .22 thru .38 or 9mm.)

I argue with gun nuts (I use that term with affection) that a .22 is effective (over other larger calibers) for home defense because "Who wants to get shot by ANY kind of bullet!". Further, a .22 is quiet. Shot indoors, no one outside can hear it. More people killed in North America with .22s than any other round. A .22 will ricochet inside the criminal ribcage like an angry bee, puncturing organs and ripping arteries as it shatters and scatters. Best case - the criminal realizing he has been shot, will run out of your home and die 2 or 3 blocks away. A man was found dead on the corner of.... apparent gunshot wound... no one in the neighborhood reported shots fired at all.

Oh, and ALWAYS DOUBLE-TAP!!

One of my employees once lamented to me that he could not get a gun and felt his neighborhood was unsafe.

I told him "You don't need a gun! .... You need a crossbow!"

There are still restrictions on projectile weapons like crossbows, but you do not need an FFL to transfer. So just drive over to Bass Pro Shops in MD, or VA and get a 100 pound pull crossbow - about $200 on sale.

If it'll stop a deer, it'll stop a criminal with a weapon.

Get some good hunting points on an aluminum or graphite shaft. That's 4 tiny blades spinning at over one thousand pounds of pressure per square inch, cutting through flesh and bone, severing arteries and mutilating internal organs. It's low velocity and it will penetrate a wall, but not go completely through it.

What's nice is you can fire it and the neighbors will not know. No one calls the cops. Let the perp bleed out, then roll him up in a tarp and drag him out to a wood chipper or dump on a country road somewhere.

My employee nodded in agreement and got himself a crossbow that weekend!
It's a real worry that someone who thinks a city ordered gun safety course is going to make you competent to handle a weapon in the middle of the night when sleepy and scared can actually acquire such a weapon.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:11 AM

130 posts, read 281,914 times
Quote:
It's a real worry that someone who thinks a city ordered gun safety course is going to make you competent to handle a weapon in the middle of the night when sleepy and scared can actually acquire such a weapon.
You're distorting the truth by poo-pooing a "city ordered guns safety course" as if that makes it of less quality. The reality is that ALL firearms safety courses emphasize practice with your firearm to strengthen familiarization, competence, and confidence in your use of the weapon under duress. With the exception of competitive target shooting classes.

I don't know of any firearms instructor who will tell his students that he can teach them all they need to know in every situation.

In Emily Miller's course, they went over the average distance in her home that she might engage an assailant with targets at the range. She did very well and instructor said basically when sleepy and scared, you'll be down to about 76 percent.

If you are willing to consider a firearm for home defense, you are probably also thinking about ways to secure your home and various scenarios.

In my case, I've drilled with my wife the practice of keeping a doorknob bar behind the bedroom door. In the event of an intruder, she knows to retreat to the bedroom, secure the door with bar. Then she swipes the biometric reader on the gunsafe and gets the loaded handgun with laser. With the gun is a piece of paper with police numbers in case 911 is down and points to report ie. address, intruder description and tell the police she is armed and in the bedroom, etc.

No one buys a gun thinking the weapon is going to do all the work for them.

Not all home invasions will be at night while sleeping.

here are some recent home invasions in various times of day where the homeowner successfully shot back!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...tjN_story.html

http://www.wbaltv.com/r/26400594/detail.html

Last edited by BillHoo; 01-20-2012 at 08:28 AM..

Old 01-20-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Very few home invasions, fewer still where a gun would make a difference, but family on family gun violence is pretty common.
Ah, so now we're getting into the specifics... instead of painting broadly with a brush.

I have no kids and no wife. The nightmare scenario of firing shots in the general direction of where I heard glass breaking only to find that I just turned my wife into swiss cheese after she dropped something wouldn't happen to me.

The more people living in a house, yes, the more likely there will be an incident like that. But even then, a well-trained person should be able to have a gun. My criminal law professor last semester is a veteran police officer with almost 30 years on the force. He has a big family with a lot of kids in the house and of course his wife. He keeps two guns in the house and told us that he'd definitely use them if an intruder was posing a threat to his family's safety. He'd gladly let them take the TV and coffee maker, but if the crook started making his way upstairs he would not be going back down stairs with a pulse.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillHoo View Post
You're distorting the truth by poo-pooing a "city ordered guns safety course" as if that makes it of less quality. The reality is that ALL firearms safety courses emphasize practice with your firearm to strengthen familiarization, competence, and confidence in your use of the weapon under duress. With the exception of competitive target shooting classes.

I don't know of any firearms instructor who will tell his students that he can teach them all they need to know in every situation.

In Emily Miller's course, they went over the average distance in her home that she might engage an assailant with targets at the range. She did very well and instructor said basically when sleepy and scared, you'll be down to about 76 percent.

If you are willing to consider a firearm for home defense, you are probably also thinking about ways to secure your home and various scenarios.

In my case, I've drilled with my wife the practice of keeping a doorknob bar behind the bedroom door. In the event of an intruder, she knows to retreat to the bedroom, secure the door with bar. Then she swipes the biometric reader on the gunsafe and gets the loaded handgun with laser. With the gun is a piece of paper with police numbers in case 911 is down and points to report ie. address, intruder description and tell the police she is armed and in the bedroom, etc.

No one buys a gun thinking the weapon is going to do all the work for them.

Not all home invasions will be at night while sleeping.

here are some recent home invasions in various times of day where the homeowner successfully shot back!

Intruder shot in St. Mary’s County home, authorities say - The Washington Post

Police: Intruder Shot By Homeowner Dies - Baltimore News Story - WBAL Baltimore
Many more people injured by guns in the home than people injured by home invasions. Home invasions are exceedingly rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC