Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 08:23 AM

999 posts, read 2,012,826 times

Advertisements

Muriel Bowser will become Fenty's second mayoral term. The gentrifiers in Wards 1, 5 and 6 got their revenge after the Gray humiliation in 2010.

BMW/Audi White liberals.
Semi-affluent gay couples.
Recent transplants from wealthy, elitist parts of the nation like New York City and San Francisco bay area.
Neoliberal, pro-corporate, anti-community black people.
Real estate developers and their corporate minions.
Restaurant owners.

They comprise the political base of the Bowser/Fenty ideology. No wonder struggling middle-class people and multi-generational DC black families are losing the battle for the city's soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
what does it matter? they both represent the gentrifier class.............its literally an election where u choose pepsi or coke........

Old 10-21-2014, 08:43 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,002,180 times
Muriel will win the black vote as well as the total.

Fenty did a lot of good as mayor of the city, but he developed a tin ear. He was a very responsive councilman.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:21 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,146,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
Muriel Bowser will become Fenty's second mayoral term. The gentrifiers in Wards 1, 5 and 6 got their revenge after the Gray humiliation in 2010.

BMW/Audi White liberals.
Semi-affluent gay couples.
Recent transplants from wealthy, elitist parts of the nation like New York City and San Francisco bay area.
Neoliberal, pro-corporate, anti-community black people.
Real estate developers and their corporate minions.
Restaurant owners.

They comprise the political base of the Bowser/Fenty ideology. No wonder struggling middle-class people and multi-generational DC black families are losing the battle for the city's soul.
I don't necessarily disagree. What's confounding is that those who will suffer the most from inevitable gentrification under a "Fenty's 2nd term" are those people who will vote for Muriel Bowser.

We can only hope that one day those voters vote for something other than color of skin.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:49 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,412,426 times
Blacks don't even stand a chance with a black democrat mayor in dc anymore, but that doesn't mean that a republican or independent will do any better either, because all of them will sell blacks out. It's not even about skin color. It's about party, so some of you need to chill with spewing that racial nonsense about why blacks vote for blacks, because you don't know what you are talking about. Most blacks are democrats and that is where the black vote is for the most part, so get over it.

Talk about what your own people won't do sometimes, instead of constantly cluelessly yapping about what black people do.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:59 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,461,582 times
Bowser doesn't have Fenty's constitution. I don't see her being a driver of initiatives like Fenty was.

Fenty may have had a tin ear, but that was because he believed that what he was doing was correct. There was a relentless drive to push the city forward, for better or worse depending on who you asked. It may have been arrogance no matter which way you cut it, but at least he was committed to his vision.

I get no sense of that kind of commitment from Bowser. I haven't seen leadership from her within the Council, with her constituents or in her campaign for Mayor. She has gained a reputation for being unresponsive to constituents in her term as Councilmember, so I'm worried she'll have the same tin-ear, but not because she has a vision.

I hope she proves me wrong.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
Bowser doesn't have Fenty's constitution. I don't see her being a driver of initiatives like Fenty was.

Fenty may have had a tin ear, but that was because he believed that what he was doing was correct. There was a relentless drive to push the city forward, for better or worse depending on who you asked. It may have been arrogance no matter which way you cut it, but at least he was committed to his vision.

I get no sense of that kind of commitment from Bowser. I haven't seen leadership from her within the Council, with her constituents or in her campaign for Mayor. She has gained a reputation for being unresponsive to constituents in her term as Councilmember, so I'm worried she'll have the same tin-ear, but not because she has a vision.

I hope she proves me wrong.
She isn't going to crawl out on limbs like Adrian did. Even if that was her nature, she saw what happened. Being right doesn't matter when you **** off the voters.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:31 PM

I bet she will eventually roll out the red carpet to the liberal elite and leave the rest of her voters behind. Even if that is not her aim, she won't be able to prevent it from happening.

It has happened with Williams, Fenty and even Obama so that is the trend now.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
I bet she will eventually roll out the red carpet to the liberal elite and leave the rest of her voters behind. Even if that is not her aim, she won't be able to prevent it from happening.

It has happened with Williams, Fenty and even Obama so that is the trend now.
Bowser isn't a ghetto child to begin with. She's a product of private schools and from a modestly affluent family.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Bowser isn't a ghetto child to begin with. She's a product of private schools and from a modestly affluent family.

I don't have anything against her upbringing. You must be saying she will be doing
everything for mostly white democrats and newcomers, so ef the people in the hood
who will most likely put her in office.

By the way, are you some sort of sell out?

Old 10-22-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
I don't have anything against her upbringing. You must be saying she will be doing
everything for mostly white democrats and newcomers, so ef the people in the hood
who will most likely put her in office.

By the way, are you some sort of sell out?
No I'm no sell out. I'm a liberal do-gooder from an affluent family and a good education.

IMO Muriel has always been more responsive to business interests than the hood rats in the city. She's not my ideal candidate, but she is way better than Catania.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: