Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 11:28 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,774,925 times

Advertisements

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...llennials.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 03:50 PM

417 posts, read 595,004 times
Three year projection is not that long, most people would respond that way.its too expensive and traffic is terrible.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:37 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,972,153 times
Quote:
Employment reasons were the biggest factors millennials cited for locating in D.C. Nearly half, or 47 percent, said they originally moved to D.C. for a job or to follow a spouse’s job, according to the survey. About 22 percent were born here or came here with their parents, while 20 percent came for school and then stayed, according to the survey.
Greater Washington’s millennials have better employment situations than their counterparts nationally — 84 percent reported full-time employment, compared to 62 percent across the U.S. Only 5 percent report living with their parents, compared with 21 percent across the country.
Hey, this is good news and I applaud anyone and everyone's success. But let's stop beaten around the bush. These folks are here by default. Furthermore, default is starting to fuse in with "deliberately" because then otherwise, they don't have any other option but DC...

But then the question is, if you come here from the 84th percentile for full-time employment, where are you going afterwards? You are certainly not going back to Kentucky. So yes I get it but at the same time, the general make-up of the city will be 1 trick ponies- just government town drones. Like I said previously, the former Bronx borough president who worked at HUD left DC because he said he couldn't have after-work conversation in this town. He couldn't discuss his family with anyone at these events or even at the bar...

Old 11-04-2015, 07:23 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post
Three year projection is not that long, most people would respond that way.its too expensive and traffic is terrible.
If you are complaining about traffic you are not living in the city, you are a suburbanite, and this specifically addresses the city itself. Traffic complaints are a tell tale sign of somebody living in the suburbs.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
Hey, this is good news and I applaud anyone and everyone's success. But let's stop beaten around the bush. These folks are here by default. Furthermore, default is starting to fuse in with "deliberately" because then otherwise, they don't have any other option but DC...

But then the question is, if you come here from the 84th percentile for full-time employment, where are you going afterwards? You are certainly not going back to Kentucky. So yes I get it but at the same time, the general make-up of the city will be 1 trick ponies- just government town drones. Like I said previously, the former Bronx borough president who worked at HUD left DC because he said he couldn't have after-work conversation in this town. He couldn't discuss his family with anyone at these events or even at the bar...
I am just going to say flat out you are wrong in this regard, they are not here by default, and I think you fail to understand this. Those who are idealistic and want to work for nonprofits, DC is the place. Those who want to work in politics, DC is the place. It is pretty clear you are not part of the elite knowledge group that is drawn to DC, you are in entertainment. So you really do not get this place and the people who are drawn to it. I should also note this is not a one trick town The area is far more diverse economically than you realize. This is not just government office drones as you suggest and you will never get this. Frankly, you are not in the right circles to know that. You are too obsessed about entertainment.

I am sorry you don't get this, but you don't strike me as the type that will ever get DC and why people are drawn to it. If you want to get rich, you go to SF or NYC, if you want to change the world you got to DC.
Yeah, this is not a city for "normal" people. So what.

Old 11-05-2015, 05:51 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
If you are complaining about traffic you are not living in the city, you are a suburbanite, and this specifically addresses the city itself. Traffic complaints are a tell tale sign of somebody living in the suburbs.
DC people do't complain about traffic on 395, 50, NY Ave, 16th St, MacArthur, Connecticut, Wisconsin, Georgia Ave, NH Ave, N. Capitol, Nebraska, Foxhall, Constitution and dozens of other streets all over DC? I find that hard to believe. DC has plenty of very heavy traffic.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:52 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,532,133 times
You're right dfk, but the vast majority of Washingtonians take transit or bike to work. Also, DC roads don't tend to be bad 24/7 like a lot of the ones in the suburbs.

My mom lives in Kingstowne and holy crap the traffic around there is constant and insane. Frontier Drive is now a 10 or 11 lane road with tons of traffic.

One the other hand, local roads like Wilson Boulevard in Arlington are very quiet a lot of the time. Sometimes when I bike through Clarendon it's a little eery how I'm like the only person on the road.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:58 AM

490 posts, read 650,227 times
So give or take about 50% are willing to stay and/or buy a house or condo. That still means the other half wants to get the hell out of here and go elsewhere

Old 11-05-2015, 07:09 AM

490 posts, read 650,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
Yeah, this is not a city for "normal" people. So what.
I agree, there's an abnormal amount of crazies, self absorbed sociopaths, and foreigners who can't drive.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
DC people do't complain about traffic on 395, 50, NY Ave, 16th St, MacArthur, Connecticut, Wisconsin, Georgia Ave, NH Ave, N. Capitol, Nebraska, Foxhall, Constitution and dozens of other streets all over DC? I find that hard to believe. DC has plenty of very heavy traffic.
Most people in DC do not drive to get around, or at least drive frequently. The traffic issue is a classic car dependent suburbanite complaint. Most people, especially millennials, who actually live in the city get around by means other than car most of the time. Driving is infrequent at best, something one does on weekends. I can always tell a suburbanite by how much they complain about traffic. Most millennials are moving inside DC and the very nearby suburbs, not living in these further flung car dependent places. How much one complains about traffic is entirely proportional to how far one lives out in the burbs. So yes there are places in DC which get snarled in traffic, but then again...they are passing you by on foot or bike, or underneath your feet. The people who live in DC do not get to stressed about traffic, because that is part of the reason they moved into the city, to avoid it.

If you were complaining about metro or the X2 bus...then yeah. That's a city thing.

The traffic is bad...but those in the city complain the least about it, because we are rarely commuting by car.

So yeah, you may find it hard to believe, but then again, the traffic thing is a suburbanite sentiment. Most of us who are in the city do not care. In fact part of the reason we like living in DC is avoiding the entire car dependent suburbanite lifestyle. It is a major draw of DC, the fact it's walkable, has a growing number of bike lanes, and public transit. The fact it's inconvenient to drivers is a feature, not a bug, because it's far more human scale and walkable as a result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: