Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 06:02 PM

549 posts, read 625,575 times

Advertisements

Have you tried Fredericksburg? I was there 2 weekends ago visiting friends, and there were tons of Marines out at the bars and clubs. It was like 90% dudes. The local college girls avoid them, and it's always a sausage fest.

And lots of "yo bro"/military guys love Asian females.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 08:55 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasja_tearo View Post
I'm 27 years old, 5'11", and Ivy League educated. When I was 20, I was approached by an agency to be a fashion model. Right now I work in one of the most prestigious law firms in DC, but somehow I can't find a boyfriend despite having lived here for the past two years and trying really hard. I've dated guys who are unemployed, who went to community college, and I've even dated guys who are a couple of inches shorter than me. So it's not like I have high standards.

Whenever I go up to NYC, I get much more attention and get hit on more often. Heck, one of the most common pick-up lines I get from guys in NYC is "Are you a model?" or that I'm the most beautiful Asian woman they've ever seen. Even though I don't like pick-up lines, it's still really nice to hear that when I feel so undesirable and undervalued in DC.

Somehow, whenever I go out here in DC, not a single guy would hit on me. Or rather, the only men who would approach me are black guys or really old and sketchy white guys. Often times, the type of guys that I prefer (preppy and athletic) would check me out from the corner of their eyes but not approach. Not even the Asian men in DC would approach me. In fact, Asian men in DC seem to be more into blond southern belles than the Asian men in NYC for some reason. I've also observed that southern white girls are more likely to date Asian men than northern white girls, so maybe that's why.

Whenever I went out with my best friend, who is tall, blonde, green-eyed, but slightly chubby, a lot of men would hit on her but ignore me. But when we went out in NYC, the amount of attention we received was more evenly balanced. And when we were in San Francisco, I actually got more attention than she did.

I feel like each city has its own ideal of beauty. In San Fran, it's someone like me - a beautiful, tall, and smart Asian American woman. In NYC, it's a bit more diverse. In DC, it's basically a blonde girl. Everybody says dating in DC is better than dating in NYC for women, but it's only true if you're a white woman. What do you think?
NYC also is fully of preppy pretentious ivy leaguers who work on Wall Street for some top law or finance firm. Nyc dating is easier for women that's if you don't mind your significant other to be a cheater or player. I suggest you should read dateonomics. As for DC? You might run into similar problems as nyc.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:32 AM

2,818 posts, read 2,283,271 times
Not an Asian women so I can't speak from experience. One thing I will say that does seem a little bit different about NYC vs DC dating is that NYC has lots of young first generation Asian-Americans, who live in places like Flushing, Chinatown, etc. They tend to hang out with other Asians and often speak with a "non-native" accent. DC doesn't really have that cultural element in the district (at least in any visible presence). They might exist out in the suburbs, but it DC proper Asian women tend to have mixed/ or majority white social networks and speak with the flat generic American accent.

I could see someone who fell in the former group having a more difficult time dating in the DC vs. SF or NYC. But, if you fall under the generic accent yuppie Asian, I would think it would be pretty comparable to NYC.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:47 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
It should also be mentioned that not all models are the typical guy's idea of "hot."

Old 11-25-2015, 01:12 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
One thing to note is that DC, NYC and SF are professional class cities with highly academic tiered persons just like the OP.

Old 11-25-2015, 03:47 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,521,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
One thing to note is that DC, NYC and SF are professional class cities with highly academic tiered persons just like the OP.
At least in DC people seem to care more about your education than your income. In NYC its all about how much you make and want materialistic crap you have that you can show off. In DC its about what you do.

Still.. most of that is limited to the stuffy, pretentious, shallow groups in these cities. Those people do not represent the cities as a whole. People who complain about these types of people should stop trying to associate with them in the first place. But I suspect the reason for trying to associate with these people is "social climbing".

All these professional class cities have lots of normal, decent, down to earth people who can communicate on a human level and are not obsessed with status and money. People who are trying to be friends with the pretentious snobby crowd and keep getting treated like dirt need to ask themselves why they want to associate with these tools in the first place.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:07 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,627,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
At least in DC people seem to care more about your education than your income. In NYC its all about how much you make and want materialistic crap you have that you can show off. In DC its about what you do.

Still.. most of that is limited to the stuffy, pretentious, shallow groups in these cities. Those people do not represent the cities as a whole. People who complain about these types of people should stop trying to associate with them in the first place. But I suspect the reason for trying to associate with these people is "social climbing".

All these professional class cities have lots of normal, decent, down to earth people who can communicate on a human level and are not obsessed with status and money. People who are trying to be friends with the pretentious snobby crowd and keep getting treated like dirt need to ask themselves why they want to associate with these tools in the first place.

I'm still on the prowl for a solid happy hour spot somewhere in the city that attracts professional types but ones that are down to earth. Any suggestions of solid happy hour spots in DC?

Old 11-27-2015, 09:40 AM

178 posts, read 232,316 times
Are you going to places with a high percentage of Asians? Areas around hospitals with residency programs are probably a good bet. You might also have some success with going down to Baltimore as there are huge numbers of Asians around Hopkins.

Do you go to church? The Asian churches are a fantastic way to meet lots of people, even for people who are not super religious. Most people are really nice and inclusive.

I think that your height puts you at a disadvantage. You are taller than many men, especially Asian men.

I think DC is actually a pretty decent place to date since it is so diverse. Maybe you are just looking in the wrong places? Maybe also watch the vibe you put out. When I am tired, I become irritated and standoff-ish. When I am awake and in a good mood, I tend to be more bubbly and get hit on more often. I'm not white and definitely don't look like a model.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:26 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,521,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
I'm still on the prowl for a solid happy hour spot somewhere in the city that attracts professional types but ones that are down to earth. Any suggestions of solid happy hour spots in DC?
The Big Hunt in Dupont isn't bad. Adams Morgan, Cleveland Park, NoMa and H Street are pretty decent areas too. Rocket Bar in Chinatown used to be good, but I haven't been their in almost two years so it might be different now. But generally, I would stay away from Georgetown, Glover Park and the western side of K street to avoid the stuffy, pretentious crowd. As a general rule.. the further from the National Mall you get, the more laid back the people are. One big exception is the part of DC that borders Chevy Chase Maryland.

Old 11-29-2015, 02:25 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,752,966 times
Asian's are more clique than black people or Brazilian.

Don't try to look for people. Just take that time to make yourself better, and do something with it. Then, eventually, maybe... someone will come looking for you one day.

The greatest thing is: It's never late. Ever. - Me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: