Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 06:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,688 times

Advertisements

I'm 27 years old, 5'11", and Ivy League educated. When I was 20, I was approached by an agency to be a fashion model. Right now I work in one of the most prestigious law firms in DC, but somehow I can't find a boyfriend despite having lived here for the past two years and trying really hard. I've dated guys who are unemployed, who went to community college, and I've even dated guys who are a couple of inches shorter than me. So it's not like I have high standards.

Whenever I go up to NYC, I get much more attention and get hit on more often. Heck, one of the most common pick-up lines I get from guys in NYC is "Are you a model?" or that I'm the most beautiful Asian woman they've ever seen. Even though I don't like pick-up lines, it's still really nice to hear that when I feel so undesirable and undervalued in DC.

Somehow, whenever I go out here in DC, not a single guy would hit on me. Or rather, the only men who would approach me are black guys or really old and sketchy white guys. Often times, the type of guys that I prefer (preppy and athletic) would check me out from the corner of their eyes but not approach. Not even the Asian men in DC would approach me. In fact, Asian men in DC seem to be more into blond southern belles than the Asian men in NYC for some reason. I've also observed that southern white girls are more likely to date Asian men than northern white girls, so maybe that's why.

Whenever I went out with my best friend, who is tall, blonde, green-eyed, but slightly chubby, a lot of men would hit on her but ignore me. But when we went out in NYC, the amount of attention we received was more evenly balanced. And when we were in San Francisco, I actually got more attention than she did.

I feel like each city has its own ideal of beauty. In San Fran, it's someone like me - a beautiful, tall, and smart Asian American woman. In NYC, it's a bit more diverse. In DC, it's basically a blonde girl. Everybody says dating in DC is better than dating in NYC for women, but it's only true if you're a white woman. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 07:30 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,348,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasja_tearo View Post
I'm 27 years old, 5'11", and Ivy League educated. When I was 20, I was approached by an agency to be a fashion model. Right now I work in one of the most prestigious law firms in DC, but somehow I can't find a boyfriend despite having lived here for the past two years and trying really hard. I've dated guys who are unemployed, who went to community college, and I've even dated guys who are a couple of inches shorter than me. So it's not like I have high standards.

Whenever I go up to NYC, I get much more attention and get hit on more often. Heck, one of the most common pick-up lines I get from guys in NYC is "Are you a model?" or that I'm the most beautiful Asian woman they've ever seen. Even though I don't like pick-up lines, it's still really nice to hear that when I feel so undesirable and undervalued in DC.

Somehow, whenever I go out here in DC, not a single guy would hit on me. Or rather, the only men who would approach me are black guys or really old and sketchy white guys. Often times, the type of guys that I prefer (preppy and athletic) would check me out from the corner of their eyes but not approach. Not even the Asian men in DC would approach me. In fact, Asian men in DC seem to be more into blond southern belles than the Asian men in NYC for some reason. I've also observed that southern white girls are more likely to date Asian men than northern white girls, so maybe that's why.

Whenever I went out with my best friend, who is tall, blonde, green-eyed, but slightly chubby, a lot of men would hit on her but ignore me. But when we went out in NYC, the amount of attention we received was more evenly balanced. And when we were in San Francisco, I actually got more attention than she did.

I feel like each city has its own ideal of beauty. In San Fran, it's someone like me - a beautiful, tall, and smart Asian American woman. In NYC, it's a bit more diverse. In DC, it's basically a blonde girl. Everybody says dating in DC is better than dating in NYC for women, but it's only true if you're a white woman. What do you think?
I think you're in the wrong forum. This is the Washington State forum, not Washington D.C. But I think you'd be very appreciated in Seattle.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:55 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,050,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I think you're in the wrong forum. This is the Washington State forum, not Washington D.C. But I think you'd be very appreciated in Seattle.
Nah, doesn't sound like she has a kayak, snowboard, or other essential outdoor gear to get a Washington guy interested.

Of course, if she drives a truck and wears Gore-Tex......

Old 11-18-2015, 09:07 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
You can't get too much further away from DC than Washington State. There's a very good chance that no one on this forum has ever dated in DC.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:18 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times
I think you are too obsessed with race.

Maybe being Asian is not the reason men don't approach you in DC. Maybe its something else. I know a lot of Asian women in the DC area that do fine. In fact, I would say dating in DC is easier for Asian women than other races.

NYC men are hyper confident because NYC culture is arrogant. The women are the same way... very bold and aggressive. Its because the city has so many people and everyone is always in a rush.. so people don't have time to BS. They just get to the point.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:52 PM

158 posts, read 333,049 times
Yeah there's no hope for you in DC. I guess you'll just have to make that move to SF or NYC...good luck!

Old 11-18-2015, 11:44 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,971,723 times
Quote:
I'm 27 years old, 5'11", and Ivy League educated.
I will read and address the rest of your post entirely separately but man, it's definitely a DC thing. Why the need to pull your collegiate credentials? Apparently you are getting hit on but nothing is sticking- not trying to offend you. Again, I haven't read your entire post so take this one on its own.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:37 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,971,723 times
Quote:

Here is why- you simply don't have it. You try too hard and it shows all over your face. I am looking at your right now and I see you very clear.

Let me tell you a secret- for the people that you want to associate with, it's a white women's game. I am not trying to be hard but IVY league doesn't teach you social skills. It's learned through experience. Every city has its own texture and you can't expect to get the same results from each city. DC is not as diverse as you think- ethnically yes but not culturally. There is a reason why you broke out the IVY league, prestigious law firm, and preppy athletic. This is DC white culture. It's not to say that as an Asian you can't be part of this but you have to play the part CORRECTLY. And it's not only in your IVY card or Law Firm employee ID card. Men are hunters and we know exactly who and what we want according to texture.

You need a few courses in social skills. NO, I am not kidding or trying to undermine you. I am telling you, this is what I do. I have lived in 3 Asian countries for over 15 months each. Even my High School in Jersey was 35% Korean. I know the Asian culture and I am telling from a lot of experience.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:02 AM

117 posts, read 138,593 times
Your rant comes across incredibly arrogant and you're probably unapproachable.

As an Asian-American myself, I find it pathetic that you believe that by simply being Asian, guys wouldn't want to date you. It's quite insulting, actually. Sounds like you have some deep self-hatred issues.

The fact that you say that you're not very picky yet allude to wanting to be with only athletic white guys says it all. I personally don't know many Asian women that have trouble dating men regardless of their racial preferences. If you're truly as beautiful as you believe yourself to be, then it's most certainly your personality and the way you come across to people.

BTW, I went to community college for my first two years of undergrad. Unfortunately, I didn't have the opportunity or the resources to go to an Ivy League school. However, I have a great career and make well over 100k. I also know of several other stories similar to mine. Just sayin

Last edited by Deezy303; 11-19-2015 at 01:23 AM.. Reason: additional commentary

Old 11-19-2015, 01:03 AM

412 posts, read 451,876 times
You project unapproachable.

DC isn't the polyglot you think it is. Professionals there quickly learn everyone has a place and a position and straying from yours will get you burned. Unlike cities with industry, it's not about what you can do. It's about who you know, who you work for, and who you are. It's almost as class conscious as 1930s England.

In other words, the men you are interested in are afraid of you. You probably appear too exotic, too connected. They are not in your league. You are unobtainium, and they are deathly afraid of being rejected by you. Rejection in DC is an unpardonable failure of the rejected.

It's not really a nice place to live or work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: