Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 11:32 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,754,495 times

Advertisements

Are yall getting excited about the potential snow this weekend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 07:04 PM

178 posts, read 232,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Are yall getting excited about the potential snow this weekend?
I stopped getting excited about snow when I bought a home and had to start shoveling my driveway

Old 01-19-2016, 08:16 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times
I'm making plans to drive to DC so I can abandon my car on the Wilson Bridge.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:23 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,260 times
I do not want snow. Nor am I excited about it.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:38 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,996,763 times
New SUV this year. I haven't had a chance to try it out in deep snow.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:45 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
New SUV this year. I haven't had a chance to try it out in deep snow.
From living in the northern New England I will tell you this directly. Your SUV does not make you any more prepared for snow and blizzard conditions, and I have seen more of them spin out and flip over because of arrogant drivers. Do you know what people in Northern New England drove...what was reliable in winter weather. Suburus and Volvos (and not the SUVs). Do you know why? Lower center of gravity. Big SUVs are for arrogant suburbanites who have no clue how to drive in a blizzard and in snow. So whenever I hear "I have an SUV" in response to winter weather I cannot help but laugh. Because they bought marketing rather than reality.

Last edited by DistrictSonic; 01-20-2016 at 01:39 PM..

Old 01-20-2016, 06:17 PM

580 posts, read 777,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
From living in the northern New England I will tell you this directly. Your SUV does not make you any more prepared for snow and blizzard conditions, and I have seen more of them spin out and flip over because of arrogant drivers. Do you know what people in Northern New England drove...what was reliable in winter weather. Suburus and Volvos (and not the SUVs). Do you know why? Lower center of gravity. Big SUVs are for arrogant suburbanites who have no clue how to drive in a blizzard and in snow. So whenever I hear "I have an SUV" in response to winter weather I cannot help but laugh. Because they bought marketing rather than reality.

In the Midwest along the lake-effect snowbelt, we drove trucks and SUVs. Spare me, please, your Subaru/Volvo condescension. We also drove slow and gave ourselves plenty of braking room, which is key. And had snow tires.

To DCForever, 4-wheel or AWD will not let you stop for sh*t, and you can still cheerfully spin out if you don't have adequate tire-tread.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:51 PM

412 posts, read 451,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeable View Post

In the Midwest along the lake-effect snowbelt, we drove trucks and SUVs. Spare me, please, your Subaru/Volvo condescension. We also drove slow and gave ourselves plenty of braking room, which is key. And had snow tires.

To DCForever, 4-wheel or AWD will not let you stop for sh*t, and you can still cheerfully spin out if you don't have adequate tire-tread.
That is a widely held, but inaccurate belief.

4 wheel drive or full time AWD actually will make a difference in braking, since it helps to prevent front or rear wheel lock up and accompanying loss of control, compared to ordinary two wheel drive vehicles under identical conditions. It works because all the wheels are forced to turn by the connected drive train, making it virtually impossible to lock the brakes of just one or two wheels. Of course it won't help anyone driving like an idiot, but it does provide a useful safety advantage for a careful driver on a slick roadway.

Automatic all wheel drive does not provide the same benefits.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:30 PM

4 posts, read 4,554 times
No, I'm suppose to be going to Florida this weekend. If today was any indication, I have no confidence I'll be leaving this weekend.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:08 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,754,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly2 View Post
I stopped getting excited about snow when I bought a home and had to start shoveling my driveway
Give this guy the Home Improvement show award. I laughed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC