Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 09:56 AM

27,576 posts, read 28,680,428 times

Advertisements

Well... seems like we're about to get hammered.

So, get ready for snowball fights in DuPont Circle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 11:29 AM

115 posts, read 273,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Hate that metro is suspending it's entire rail service this weekend after 11pm.
It will make it that much easier for them to get service up and running again after the snow ends. I just feel bad for the people who have no choice but to work during the storm.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:11 PM

810 posts, read 852,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeable View Post

In the Midwest along the lake-effect snowbelt, we drove trucks and SUVs. Spare me, please, your Subaru/Volvo condescension. We also drove slow and gave ourselves plenty of braking room, which is key. And had snow tires.

To DCForever, 4-wheel or AWD will not let you stop for sh*t, and you can still cheerfully spin out if you don't have adequate tire-tread.
I grew up and lived in western PA. Know what I drove a 79 Olds Cutlass with radial tires and no chains. I never had any problems except when i had to go to my mom's house as she lived up a hill and it could get a little dicey at times.

Best advice is do not go out unless you have to, if you get stuck nobody is going to come for you as all emergency services will be overwhelmed and with high winds it throws the wind chill well below zero and it is only a matter of minutes before your skin starts to freeze. If you are driving slow down and make sure your lights are on.

Stock up now before it hits foods that do not need to be heated in case the power goes out and you can't cook.

I have been in a few blizzards 1978 come to mind, since I was a kid then it was great because they closed the schools.

Be safe

Old 01-22-2016, 12:12 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,447,096 times
IT HAS BEGUN!

EarthCam - Washington Monument

Old 01-22-2016, 02:07 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombleywomberly View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=SmHeP9Sve48

Old 01-22-2016, 02:38 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,447,096 times
EarthCam - National Mall Cam

Already whiting out.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:14 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis18708 View Post
It will make it that much easier for them to get service up and running again after the snow ends. I just feel bad for the people who have no choice but to work during the storm.
Its amazing how ill-equipped the DC area is for snow. The entire place shuts down. You would think this was Georgia or Florida lol. DC usually gets snow every winter so the city SHOULD be prepared to handle it but.......

Old 01-22-2016, 04:04 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
The media is certainly having fun reporting this storm, evidently its going to be the worst storm since record keeping began..

Old 01-22-2016, 04:09 PM

819 posts, read 583,910 times
The snow storm is exciting, yes, and looks very pretty. But. It's the 'after-the-storm' part that decidedly is not amusing. It melts during the day then it freezes at night, which makes going out in the morning on the icy, slippery roads an unpleasant and frightening experience. It stays on the ground and gets dirty and icky looking after awhile, too.

One thing to remember is that if you are shoveling out your car and decide to run it, make sure the exhaust pipe is clear of snow.

Good luck, East Coasters; I don't miss that stuff.

Old 01-22-2016, 05:06 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,251,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
From living in the northern New England I will tell you this directly. Your SUV does not make you any more prepared for snow and blizzard conditions, and I have seen more of them spin out and flip over because of arrogant drivers. Do you know what people in Northern New England drove...what was reliable in winter weather. Suburus and Volvos (and not the SUVs). Do you know why? Lower center of gravity. Big SUVs are for arrogant suburbanites who have no clue how to drive in a blizzard and in snow. So whenever I hear "I have an SUV" in response to winter weather I cannot help but laugh. Because they bought marketing rather than reality.
I agree, partially. Living in ID a good 4x4 SUV or truck with the correct tires, decent ground clearance and an experienced driver will get you safely from point A to point B, better than a low slung FWD or RWD vehicle with the same driver.

But also living in ID, I love it when I read about how the grocery stores are being cleared out due to an upcoming blizzard. Reminds me of when I live in TN.

Have fun, enjoy and be careful out there.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC