Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 02:54 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,447,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
What does your crystal ball say about Tuesday?
It says "Tell Quaker to ask his parrot".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 03:19 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
And from what I am hearing, it's not simply about just taking to main roads to get to work. Yea sure you can get to the office but what i have been told, people aren't able to park because there is no place to physically put the snow. It is not enough to push the snow to the sides. People have to park in those spaces so this means the snow has to literally be moved to a designated place.
What they should do is pile the snow up in an open space.. then blow torch it so it melts into the sewer. Otherwise those piles of snow won't melt til August.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:52 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,578,978 times
My guess is Government and businesses in DC closed on Tuesday and Unscheduled Leave/Telework on Wednesday.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:08 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
Quote:
My guess is Government and businesses in DC closed on Tuesday and Unscheduled Leave/Telework on Wednesday.
My smartphone told me it's closed today.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:31 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,996,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
What they should do is pile the snow up in an open space.. then blow torch it so it melts into the sewer. Otherwise those piles of snow won't melt til August.
They are being piled at RFK. Who cares if it take until August?

Old 01-26-2016, 02:50 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,754,495 times
D.C. Makes A Lot of Money Ticketing Cars on Emergency Routes « CBS DC

In the words of Chief Keef "this that ish that I dont like"

Old 01-27-2016, 09:23 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,051 times
I officially had my worst Metro experience ever on Tuesday. 1 hour 40 minutes to go 7 stops from Crystal City to Virginia Square. They might as well put up a replica of the Berlin Wall between North and South Arlington.

I would have never willingly taken Metro -- but I was forced to with my car stuck in a parking spot in Crystal City.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:24 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,578,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I officially had my worst Metro experience ever on Tuesday. 1 hour 40 minutes to go 7 stops from Crystal City to Virginia Square.
I think Wednesday's commute was better.

So, what happened on Tuesday to cause such delay?

Old 01-28-2016, 09:23 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,051 times
Quote:
I think Wednesday's commute was better.

So, what happened on Tuesday to cause such delay?
Truthfully, it was very close to closing. Trains simply weren't coming. I waited 40 minutes for a Blue Line Train to get to Rosslyn. Then at Rosslyn, I waited another 40 minutes for an Orange Line Train to Virginia Square. When I first got to Rosslyn, the expected wait time was 10 minutes but for some reason the Orange Line Train held at Metro Center for like 30 minutes (Maybe last train?).

It really is just embarrassing for this city. You know how long I would have waited for 2 trains in Europe? Maybe 10 minutes. Likely closer to 6 minutes. And this is why I never willfully ride Metro late at night or on weekends.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:18 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,971,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
It really is just embarrassing for this city. You know how long I would have waited for 2 trains in Europe? Maybe 10 minutes. Likely closer to 6 minutes. And this is why I never willfully ride Metro late at night or on weekends.

I think you are being a bit extreme here. One has to realize that it is a domino effect. 1st, a shutdown means literally a shut down. No movement for a period of time. All vehicles are on lock down as a result of record accumulations.

Also, as I stated before, many people had to ride the metro as either their vehicles were blocked at metro lots or they weren't able to meter park around their offices due to snow banks. Some people opted to take the train rather than bus as an alternative because of varying emergency routes. Many of the buses were sideline until roads were cleared. This means more people on the metro as snow detours are lifted slowly.

Also, snow removal is labor billed so it's not a matter of turning on the sprinklers and shazam, snow away. DC isn't equipped as it doesn't get hit like some of the northern cities. All these little factors play a huge role in the overall big picture of "safety".

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC