Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 02:23 PM

27,578 posts, read 28,687,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
Push the problem out to other areas vs. fix the problem - brilliant solution.
It's pretty hard to fix a problem when so many students get Cs and Ds in school due to a lack of effort, barely graduate from high school and have kids while they're still teenagers.

It's even harder when all of this has been going on for decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 04:14 PM

857 posts, read 1,201,557 times
the OP seems to forget that in a capitalist society the poor and the working people are the base of that society......many rich people get rich off of their labor and their spending on their products while many others use the poor to babysit their children, clean their pools, do their landscaping, serve as maids and butlers among other things....ive said it on these boards forever you cant erase the poor completely esp considering poor and working people of all colors are the majority in this society.....the superrich are called the 1% for a reason......

even if all of DC became like georgetown or logan circle right outside the city there will be tons of poor people taking buses and metro into the city to serve the lobbyists politicians and govt contract companies....

Old 04-26-2016, 07:39 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,523,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
I highly highly doubt that this is a common trend.

Something new for a change, rest of the post was the typical fascist "gentrification-on-steroids" nonsense.

Push the problem out to other areas vs. fix the problem - brilliant solution.
There is no "fix" for the problem. That's what most people don't get.

And of course there will always be a few poor people here and there. What I'm saying is poor people in large numbers living in DC will not be a thing in the future.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Do you have any examples of this? This doesn't seem to be true in ANY rich city I've been to like San Francisco, Los Angeles, NYC, etc.
I said rich COMMUNITIES not rich cities.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth2power202 View Post
This dude doesn't read anything of substance and you can tell by his comments. You'll note that he starts off by saying he was thinking. That's his first mistake. I think he often mistakes working and lower middle income people for poor people. DC and cities in generally need ALL CLASSES OF PEOPLE.

Pushing poor people to the suburbs is bad for the environment | Grist

U.S. Cities Are Becoming Much More Segregated Between The Rich And Poor | Co.Exist | ideas + impact

Where Rich And Poor People Live - Business Insider

S.F. needs housing solutions to keep middle class in city - SFGate
Cities do not "need" all classes of people. You can say they benefit from all classes of people. Need is a strong word.

And no.. I don't mistake middle class people for poor people. I know poor when I see it.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plive202 View Post
there is far too much need in this city for low wage jobs that it can just be filled with retired folk or students...
Its unlikely that retired people and students will take 100% of the jobs.. but they will take a lot more. The poor will be left to do only the dirtiest jobs that no one wants. Which is pretty much the case now. But it will be worse.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:00 PM

814 posts, read 911,893 times
Pardon my French but you Sir sound like a pretentious douchebag and you're more of the problem then poor people are because you display some anti- American sentiment.

Our country was built by poor people, immigrants, craftsmen, entitled dimwits in suits is what ruined it because power plus greed equals corruption, Wall Street, Congress, Lobbyists all scum, not one cares about our United States.

Poor people are poor for a reason, we have veterans that come home homeless, we have children that go hungry, we take in refugees yet our own Detroit looks like a 3rd world country, the reason some are poor is because we forgot how to put America first.

I dont know you personally and perhaps thats a good thing but the poor is part of our nation, they are Americans just like you and I and we need to start fixing problems rather then ignoring them.

You and District Sonic have the worst attitudes towards others that I have ever seen and if you keep looking dowm upon others one day you could find yourself in the same situation, all it takes is a layoff, government cuts, or recession.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:39 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
I said rich COMMUNITIES not rich cities.
As others have said, the poor will take public transport from their COMMUNITIES. London is 3000x wealthier than DC and the poor all live in East London which also happen to have great transport. They take a train or bus to the rich COMMUNITIES. Keep dreaming bro. Some *ahem* on this board are clueless.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:25 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,289,289 times
Although the trend has been toward this District getting wealthier, it still has a disproportionatly high poverty rate. According to the Census Bureau, DC's poverty rate was 18.2% vs 9.7% in Prince George's County MD and lower in Montgomery/Fairfax. The District still has lots of "non-market affordable housing" and east of the river remains relatively affordable. Further, NYC is more expensive than DC and yet it has a larger percentage in poverty than DC. So I think the talk that the district will soon turn into Bethesda are pretty exagerated.

No doubt close-in housing costs will continue to rise, but I don't think they will ever stangle the local economy due to the lack of a service sector workforce. Can anyone ever cite a real world example where that has happend in the real world? The more likely scenerio is middle skilled "back office" jobs will leave the DC area for cheaper locations in the south/west, much like back office jobs have left the NYC,LA,SF MSAs for Florida,Texas, GA, etc. The DC MSA, like all its expensive coast peers, has been lossing people to cheaper MSAs and yet the low skilled workforce has been readily replaced by a steady stream of low skilled (both legal and illegal) immigrants.

Don't get me wrong, there are good social equity/inclusion arguments for affordable housing. But, the idea that the economy will suffer because the local service-oriented working class can't afford to live here seems hyperboly.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:10 PM

135 posts, read 145,039 times
[quote=Chriz Brown;43847189]Cities do not "need" all classes of people. You can say they benefit from all classes of people. Need is a strong word.

Well...many demographers and Political Scientist that are a lot smarter than you seem to disagree.

READ THE ARTICLE!!!!

U.S. Cities Are Becoming Much More Segregated Between The Rich And Poor | Co.Exist | ideas + impact

I know poor when I see it.

REALLY???? Please tell us what a poor person looks like? Talk about being prejudice and judging a book by its cover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC