Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 01:21 PM

135 posts, read 145,002 times

Advertisements

[quote=Chriz Brown;43895692]Its not wise to make assumptions without really knowing anything.

You do it everyday and seems to work for you right??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 02:08 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,971,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
I was just thinking about gentrification in DC and other cities. Many people complain that kicking the poor out of cities will cause problems because they won't have convenient transportation to get them to low wage jobs. And so, the poor leaving would ultimately damage the city. Thus, affordable housing is necessary to keep them around.

However, this is actually not true. I started thinking about how rich communities function. They still have stores, movie theaters, supermarkets, Starbucks, etc. like regular cities, which require low wage cashiers and other jobs. Yet, those communities are mostly free of poor people. So how does it work?

It turns out those jobs are taken by teenagers, retired people, and college students. Therefore, if DC were to completely eradicate the poor, those low wage jobs would still get filled.

I only bring this up because I believe this is what will ultimately happen in DC and most American cities. I really believe the poor will eventually get kicked out completely because there is really nothing to stop it.
I totally get what you asking but it could not work in such extreme fashion as you presented. The day to day functions would certainly have to be done by the low earners. There still needs to be a level of competency and efficiency that would not come from teenagers and college students. This usually comes from blue collar laborers that are accustom to "hands on" applications.

But I do feel that a city can certainly thrive as a higher income/majority working class culture. But within this culture you would still have various levels of income. In the case of DC however, and once the gentrification process has taken full effect, everyone within these income level brackets would be working towards one monocultural environment- government. Even though being a majority high income region, everyone working towards one mission, and most low income earners living outside of city center, you would still have the income gaps.

Last edited by halfamazing; 05-03-2016 at 02:22 PM..

Old 05-03-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingMalik88 View Post
He's being cryptic. By "yucky poor people", he means minorities. Blacks. Hispanics. And some white trash. He lives for the day when all of D.C. looks like Georgetown, full of yuppies, hipsters and frat bros.
Monoculturalsm at its finest. I say bring it on. Mind you, frat bros, yuppies, and hipsters come in all color, race, gender, and sizes.

There is plenty of realestate in VA/MD if people really want to or have no other option but to work in the region.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:07 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth2power202 View Post
I love how you dodged the question. No I don't have enough life experiences to know what a poor person looks like. So why don't you enlighten me smart guy. What's the matter??? Are you afraid that people are going to see you for the bigot that you truly are.
Nice try with the baiting. Not going to work though.

Again.. if you don't have the life experience then this discussion is not for you.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:09 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
I totally get what you asking but it could not work in such extreme fashion as you presented. The day to day functions would certainly have to be done by the low earners. There still needs to be a level of competency and efficiency that would not come from teenagers and college students. This usually comes from blue collar laborers that are accustom to "hands on" applications.

But I do feel that a city can certainly thrive as a higher income/majority working class culture. But within this culture you would still have various levels of income. In the case of DC however, and once the gentrification process has taken full effect, everyone within these income level brackets would be working towards one monocultural environment- government. Even though being a majority high income region, everyone working towards one mission, and most low income earners living outside of city center, you would still have the income gaps.
I don't really consider most blue collar workers to be poor. The poor would be people cleaning toilets and office buildings at night.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:50 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,731,734 times
It would be great if you all left explaining what someone meant to the author of the statement in question. Keep saying what someone else "really wanted to say" and you're no better than your most hated politician, whoever that might be.
If someone is wrong, prove them wrong. If you disagree with their opinion - it's ok. People disagree on opinions all the time.
Yac.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:45 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,407,485 times
That would only make you poorer, so have fun being a slave for the downpressing bloodsuckers.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I don't really consider most blue collar workers to be poor. The poor would be people cleaning toilets and office buildings at night.
Then if that is the case, I think DC is heading in that direction.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:46 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,808,981 times
Quote:
yah there poor and btw thats blue collar work. i do that now as another part time job and make 11.40 hourly. some end up being supervisors and make more $$, so be careful what u say. its all about working your way up.

btw what are you a tax accountant?? you have a job right?
i really like to know why u hate on poor folks so much.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:54 PM

135 posts, read 145,002 times
[quote=Chriz Brown;43930207]

Nice try with the baiting. Not going to work though.

Again..

There's no baiting here. You constantly make foolish statements about how you somehow know when somebody is poor or what poor people look like. I've never had that gift, so I'm asking you how is it that you determine a person's income. If you can't answer the question and want to admit that you made an ignorant statement without the facts to back it up, just say so.

if you don't have the life experience then this discussion is not for you.

Listen, I grew up in DC, poor with a single mother, while living in section 8 housing in some of the worst neighborhoods you can imagine. I also worked my way thru college, while playing Basketball. I'd put my life experiences up against any of your privileged, classicist, narrowed minded life experiences any day. If this discussion isn't for me then it sure as hell isn't for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC