Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 07:33 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,972,153 times

Advertisements

Let's start over and this time, we say what we mean and mean what we say.

I don't believe we have too many mind readers in this forum...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 04:37 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,523,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
We asked to clarify, but you leave us to draw our own conclusions. That's not our fault.
The only thing I was asked to clarify is how I can tell a poor person by looking at them. I refuse to clarify this because it is not important to the topic of the thread. Not even a little bit.

Old 05-11-2016, 05:22 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,826,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
The only thing I was asked to clarify is how I can tell a poor person by looking at them. I refuse to clarify this because it is not important to the topic of the thread. Not even a little bit.
Yes it is. It tells us who you think is poor. Saying "poverty line" says very little.

Old 05-12-2016, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Yes it is. It tells us who you think is poor. Saying "poverty line" says very little.
Who I "think" is poor is not relevant to the question. All that matters is who is actually poor.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Who I "think" is poor is not relevant to the question. All that matters is who is actually poor.
I'm sorry but saying, "the poor" is too vague. DC, and any city, can do without homeless people sleeping on the sidewalk and other places. DC, and other cities, do need those who have lower incomes, and do lower paying jobs.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:23 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,972,153 times
Quote:
I'm sorry but saying, "the poor" is too vague. DC, and any city, can do without homeless people sleeping on the sidewalk and other places. DC, and other cities, do need those who have lower incomes, and do lower paying jobs.
I have heard this often.

A friend of mine from Europe constantly rails on the homeless and mentally ill roaming the streets freely in all parts of DC. That was one of the first things she noticed when she arrived but having lived in NY and other states prior to moving here. It almost seems as if she can't understand why a city like DC would have so many.

Old 05-12-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
It was vague until I said "poor" means "poverty level or close" very early in the thread. Once I pointed out the guidelines it stopped being vague.

At this point I don't know what your goal in this thread is or if you're just here to be contrary.

Old 05-12-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
I have heard this often.

A friend of mine from Europe constantly rails on the homeless and mentally ill roaming the streets freely in all parts of DC. That was one of the first things she noticed when she arrived but having lived in NY and other states prior to moving here. It almost seems as if she can't understand why a city like DC would have so many.
Its quite disgraceful for the capital city of a world super power. Which is likely why the Government supports gentrification. In time I'm sure the homeless will be removed from most areas of the city. It's already happening. There used to be a homeless colony living outside Union Station. They were removed a few months ago.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
It was vague until I said "poor" means "poverty level or close" very early in the thread. Once I pointed out the guidelines it stopped being vague.

At this point I don't know what your goal in this thread is or if you're just here to be contrary.
All I said was "poverty level" is still vague. You said you could tel just by sight who is at poverty level and who isnt. That suggests that you're understanding of "poor" is poor. That's why I'm trying to get to be more specific. I can see that you just want to play games instead of having a serious discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC