Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 05:44 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
Pardon my French but you Sir sound like a pretentious douchebag and you're more of the problem then poor people are because you display some anti- American sentiment.

Our country was built by poor people, immigrants, craftsmen, entitled dimwits in suits is what ruined it because power plus greed equals corruption, Wall Street, Congress, Lobbyists all scum, not one cares about our United States.

Poor people are poor for a reason, we have veterans that come home homeless, we have children that go hungry, we take in refugees yet our own Detroit looks like a 3rd world country, the reason some are poor is because we forgot how to put America first.

I dont know you personally and perhaps thats a good thing but the poor is part of our nation, they are Americans just like you and I and we need to start fixing problems rather then ignoring them.

You and District Sonic have the worst attitudes towards others that I have ever seen and if you keep looking dowm upon others one day you could find yourself in the same situation, all it takes is a layoff, government cuts, or recession.
Its not my fault all the poor will be kicked out of DC. I'm just saying it will happen. So what are you attacking me for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth2power202 View Post
REALLY???? Please tell us what a poor person looks like? Talk about being prejudice and judging a book by its cover.
I cannot describe what poor people look like without being offensive, but its pretty obvious. If I need to go into detail for you to grasp it, then you don't have enough life experience to be part of this discussion.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:58 PM

857 posts, read 1,201,378 times
well the main question you have to ask is how did poor people end up in big cities in the firstplace???? In early many cities were merely artisans merchants and rich people.......industrialization and the mechanization of farming brought peasants and later foreigners to the cities to work mainly in factories......in DC's case it was low level govt jobs.......deindustrialization happened 1-2 generations later so the very thing that brought the underclass to the city was gone.......there was no practical reason for them to return to the countryside considering things hadnt improved much so they got stuck if they didnt have money to move somewhere else......

what angers many about gentrification is merely the poor dont have a say whether or not they wanna stay or go......something outside their control makes that decision for them and oftentime against their will......

but no matter how much you despise poor people they will always exist in mass numbers in a capitalist society. and cities have gotten too big for them to merely be just playgrounds for rich people. esp considering many key city services and critical service operations are done by working class people.....

What I wanna know is why youre so hellbent on exiling them from the city in the firstplace.....what has a poor person done to you.....did a poor person rob you? does their mere presence disgust you? Do you realize that poor people aint thinking about people like yourself let alone any troll or keyboard warrior here on the CD forums?

Old 04-30-2016, 03:38 PM

587 posts, read 1,411,838 times
Wow, OP is delusional and doesn't know that the working class actually busts their colllective a$$es and the type of hard work performed by the working class can't be performed by teenagers, retired people and college students. A lot of working class jobs are dirty physically demanding hard labor that require long hours and pay low wages. Something the majority of white DC area natives know nothing about. This is the reason why the face of the working class tends to be largely Latino in the DC area. I couldn't imagine teenagers, retired people and college students doing roadwork, renovating buildings, construction or anything like that. To be blunt, white people in the DC area come from a super privileged class of people where they never work regular working class jobs at any point in their lives. When is the last time you had a white person even as much as serve you food at a fast food restaurant, ring you up at the supermarket let alone pick up your trash or cut your grass? Black people in the DC area tend to have government jobs, be unemployed or work low-paid labor. But black people in DC are disproportionately poor, unemployed, underemployed like any other big city. So can DC survive without the poor? No. DC is full of white collar workers and glorified delusional fart sniffing paper pushers who couldn't change a lightbulb to save their lives let alone fix a toilet. But most of the Latino working class that keeps swaths of the DC area running mostly lives in the suburbs.

Old 04-30-2016, 05:33 PM

7 posts, read 3,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
well the main question you have to ask is how did poor people end up in big cities in the firstplace???? In early many cities were merely artisans merchants and rich people.......industrialization and the mechanization of farming brought peasants and later foreigners to the cities to work mainly in factories......in DC's case it was low level govt jobs.......deindustrialization happened 1-2 generations later so the very thing that brought the underclass to the city was gone.......there was no practical reason for them to return to the countryside considering things hadnt improved much so they got stuck if they didnt have money to move somewhere else......

what angers many about gentrification is merely the poor dont have a say whether or not they wanna stay or go......something outside their control makes that decision for them and oftentime against their will......

but no matter how much you despise poor people they will always exist in mass numbers in a capitalist society. and cities have gotten too big for them to merely be just playgrounds for rich people. esp considering many key city services and critical service operations are done by working class people.....

What I wanna know is why youre so hellbent on exiling them from the city in the firstplace.....what has a poor person done to you.....did a poor person rob you? does their mere presence disgust you? Do you realize that poor people aint thinking about people like yourself let alone any troll or keyboard warrior here on the CD forums?
He's being cryptic. By "yucky poor people", he means minorities. Blacks. Hispanics. And some white trash. He lives for the day when all of D.C. looks like Georgetown, full of yuppies, hipsters and frat bros.

Old 04-30-2016, 06:50 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
Wow, OP is delusional and doesn't know that the working class actually busts their colllective a$$es and the type of hard work performed by the working class can't be performed by teenagers, retired people and college students. A lot of working class jobs are dirty physically demanding hard labor that require long hours and pay low wages. Something the majority of white DC area natives know nothing about. This is the reason why the face of the working class tends to be largely Latino in the DC area. I couldn't imagine teenagers, retired people and college students doing roadwork, renovating buildings, construction or anything like that. To be blunt, white people in the DC area come from a super privileged class of people where they never work regular working class jobs at any point in their lives. When is the last time you had a white person even as much as serve you food at a fast food restaurant, ring you up at the supermarket let alone pick up your trash or cut your grass? Black people in the DC area tend to have government jobs, be unemployed or work low-paid labor. But black people in DC are disproportionately poor, unemployed, underemployed like any other big city. So can DC survive without the poor? No. DC is full of white collar workers and glorified delusional fart sniffing paper pushers who couldn't change a lightbulb to save their lives let alone fix a toilet. But most of the Latino working class that keeps swaths of the DC area running mostly lives in the suburbs.
Don't be like the OP. Plenty of white people have done the hard jobs. Plenty would if the jobs paid a reasonable wage. How many of those hard working people you're referring to are illegals working for peanuts? This is not a good thing. Those hard working people, no matter what race they are, should be paid a reasonable salary, and have taxes properly withheld and paid. Not only that, but they also live in lousy conditions. Everyday I watch a big van stop and out of an apartment in our building stream 10 or 12 Latino men piling in the back, sitting on the floor, going to work. The apartment is a 2 bedroom apartment. This isn't the first place I have lived where I have seen the same thing. Something needs to be done about this, but the OP's solution of kicking them (poor) out doesn't work.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:18 PM

814 posts, read 911,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Its not my fault all the poor will be kicked out of DC. I'm just saying it will happen. So what are you attacking me for?
Im not attacking you in a deragatory manner, Im trying to say that we're all Americans and as a nation it would be beneficial to our people if we would solve issues like poverty, hipsters, liberals, congress, so on and so forth.

My cousin has an MBA from Syracuse and works as a service manager and technician fixing oil burners and such, MBA's are a dime a dozen, heck I went to college and found out I like working with my hands more, I'm a certified Audi Service Technician, 24.50 per hour.

You guys should open your minds more cause there is nothing wrong with learning a skilled trade, so people that get dirty are making 75k a year or more.

People are poor in our country cause our government sold out America, they are bought by corporations and lobbyists, all the good skilled trade jobs as far as machinsts and fabricators for example had their jobs sent overseas and the reason is because our government charges American companies 26.5% corporate tax, its the highest business tax in the free world, thats why we're losing jobs and people become poor, we're the problem instead of the solution.

College kids are graduating with mortgage size debt and may not get a good enough job to pay those loans back, we're creating poor people.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post

Its not wise to make assumptions without really knowing anything. I never said I was hellbent on exiling the poor. I am just making a prediction about DC's future. I don't care if poor people live in DC or not. All I want gone is crime. But that will never happen.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
False.

DC can definitely survive without the poor. Depending on how you define "poor". To me "poor" means poverty level or close.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:14 PM

135 posts, read 145,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
I cannot describe what poor people look like without being offensive, but its pretty obvious. If I need to go into detail for you to grasp it, then you don't have enough life experience to be part of this discussion.

I love how you dodged the question. No I don't have enough life experiences to know what a poor person looks like. So why don't you enlighten me smart guy. What's the matter??? Are you afraid that people are going to see you for the bigot that you truly are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC