Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2020, 08:16 AM

48 posts, read 32,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
I'm fine with affordable housing programs but I don't think its fair to cohort high income and low income earners in the same building, especially when I'm paying double for a place. Mixing people of different income levels doesn't inspire low income workers to want to work harder. They need to keep under a certain income level to remain in these programs so they want to do the bare minimum to live in luxury for a fraction of the price market renters pay. People who live in certain neighborhoods typically have similar education and incomes to others in their neighborhood. You have to earn a certain amount of money to afford to live in certain place. Like attracts like. People generally live in places where their neighbors are similar to them. I don't think I'm going to have much in common with a bagger from a grocery store with 3 kids with 3 different fathers. This is just an example.
Well, all of these neighborhoods that were generally predominately minority neighborhoods did have things in common before the racist gentrifiers invaded. If the racist gentrifiers were so keen on living in neighborhoods with people who were similar why did they even move there in the first place? And I love the classic racist argument that black people “don’t work hard enough”. Thanks for the comedy.

Old 08-02-2020, 09:26 AM

126 posts, read 117,606 times
Quote:
People who live in certain neighborhoods typically have similar education and incomes to others in their neighborhood. You have to earn a certain amount of money to afford to live in certain place. Like attracts like. People generally live in places where their neighbors are similar to them.
If your statement was even remotely true then the historically black neighborhoods of D.C. would never have gentrified bc as you said "like attracts like" and "people generally live in places where their neighbors are similar to them" so what do these new residents have in common with the existing neighborhood residents?

Old 08-02-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Most people think that black people are very privileged in America today. What other group has benefited from affirmative action for decades like black people have?

Other races could only wish for such an advantage.
You forgot to mention how black people have historically been treated when it comes to access to housing, jobs, education, fair wages, union representation, treated by the criminal justice system, etc. I'm not sure if you are new to the US or just ignorant but you might want to do some research on how historically black people have been treated in this country and how those injustices are still felt to this day. One example sounds like you are ignorant to is the wealth gap between white people and black people and how racist policies prevented black people from owning homes in the suburbs and how those home appreciated substantially more than the homes black people were allowed to live in thus pass that wealth to their siblings.

Here is one history lesson I will give you in 1948 when the Levittown neighborhood on Long Island was 100% white when it was completed and did not allow black people to move in there even though many could afford to so while some black remained renters some moved to Lakeview nearby a predominantly black neighborhood with houses selling for similar prices as Levittown ($75,000). in 2016 homes in Levittown sell for $350,000 and up while homes in Lakeview sell for $90,000- $120,000. That means the white family accrued +$200,000 in equity while the black families accrued $55,000.

Old 08-02-2020, 11:35 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,628,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketter View Post
If your statement was even remotely true then the historically black neighborhoods of D.C. would never have gentrified bc as you said "like attracts like" and "people generally live in places where their neighbors are similar to them" so what do these new residents have in common with the existing neighborhood residents?
DC has become much younger over the past decade. Young adults fresh out of college or in their late 20's can't afford to buy houses (and probably wouldn't want to) in places like Chevy Chase, Dupont Circle, Georgetown, etc. They're forced to live in areas that are affordable. I hate to break it to you, but the predominantly black neighborhoods that have gentrified is because of the younger population looking to buy/rent in places they can comfortably afford. Developers noticed this and jumped on it a long time ago. Navy Yard was a dump a decade ago. Look at it now. It's close to downtown, Capitol Hill, etc. It's walkable for a lot of people who also happen to work in Navy Yard, Cap Hill, or downtown. What happened there wasn't by mistake. It was by design. Now Anacostia is gentrifying. Once Anacostia becomes an attractive place to live, gentrification will follow in the neighboring areas around it. DC is finally becoming what it should have been all along, a great cosmopolitan city.

Personally, I don't care what color someone is. I have Black, White, Asian, and Latino friends. What I do care about is the kind of people of a certain race who want all kinds of special treatment that they don't deserve. A lot of the people you see out protesting are unemployed, underemployed, menaces to society, and the list goes on and on. How many successful people do you see out and about protesting, wreaking havoc, etc.? They exist, but they're far and few between. They're too busy working and trying to better themselves by being productive. Not out and about protesting.

Old 08-02-2020, 01:20 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketter View Post
You forgot to mention how black people have historically been treated when it comes to access to housing, jobs, education, fair wages, union representation, treated by the criminal justice system, etc. I'm not sure if you are new to the US or just ignorant but you might want to do some research on how historically black people have been treated in this country and how those injustices are still felt to this day. One example sounds like you are ignorant to is the wealth gap between white people and black people and how racist policies prevented black people from owning homes in the suburbs and how those home appreciated substantially more than the homes black people were allowed to live in thus pass that wealth to their siblings.
It would be understandable if affirmative action policies were kept in place for maybe 20 to 30 years after the Civil Rights movement to help black people overcome past injustices. But we are now close to 50 years of these policies and there is no end in sight to them. We long ago past the point where most of the U.S. population wasn't even alive when Jim Crow laws existed.

Do you think it is fair that a child today can get admitted to a university with lower test scores than everybody else just because the child has the biological trait of being born black? Do you think this policy leads to racial harmony?

Old 08-02-2020, 01:25 PM

48 posts, read 32,099 times
Quote:
DC has become much younger over the past decade. Young adults fresh out of college or in their late 20's can't afford to buy houses (and probably wouldn't want to) in places like Chevy Chase, Dupont Circle, Georgetown, etc. They're forced to live in areas that are affordable. I hate to break it to you, but the predominantly black neighborhoods that have gentrified is because of the younger population looking to buy/rent in places they can comfortably afford. Developers noticed this and jumped on it a long time ago. Navy Yard was a dump a decade ago. Look at it now. It's close to downtown, Capitol Hill, etc. It's walkable for a lot of people who also happen to work in Navy Yard, Cap Hill, or downtown. What happened there wasn't by mistake. It was by design. Now Anacostia is gentrifying. Once Anacostia becomes an attractive place to live, gentrification will follow in the neighboring areas around it. DC is finally becoming what it should have been all along, a great cosmopolitan city.

Personally, I don't care what color someone is. I have Black, White, Asian, and Latino friends. What I do care about is the kind of people of a certain race who want all kinds of special treatment that they don't deserve. A lot of the people you see out protesting are unemployed, underemployed, menaces to society, and the list goes on and on. How many successful people do you see out and about protesting, wreaking havoc, etc.? They exist, but they're far and few between. They're too busy working and trying to better themselves by being productive. Not out and about protesting.
Quote:
It would be understandable if affirmative action policies were kept in place for maybe 20 to 30 years to help black people overcome past injustices. But we are now close to 50 years of these policies and there is no end in sight to them. We long ago past the point where most of the U.S. population wasn't even alive when Jim Crow laws existed.

Do you think it is fair that a child can get admitted to a university with lower test scores than everybody else just because the child has the biological trait of being black? Do you think this policy leads to racial harmony?
However, a large segment of the US population still harbors racists and prejudiced attitudes toward black people.

Old 08-02-2020, 02:08 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,628,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCBlackDude View Post
However, a large segment of the US population still harbors racists and prejudiced attitudes toward black people.
Racism and prejudice will always exist to some degree. You're not going to eliminate either one, ever. The very definition of prejudice is "preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience". Sound familiar? You're prejudice based on the fact you assume your neighbors are racist. You have no objective evidence of this at all. You have an opinion based on a couple of looks. I do have an issue with you thinking your neighbors are racist because some people have looked at you. It probably has nothing to do with your skin color. I honestly just think you're paranoid. I don't even pay attention to what people do or think because I have no control over it. You're the only person who has control over your own actions. By putting flyers under your neighbors doors, taking pics of people you think are racist because they look at you and post to social media calling them racists makes you very weak, not strong. You can't control your own emotions and you obviously have a very low self esteem. This has nothing to do with anyone but yourself. My recommendation to seek professional help is not a knock to you. I seriously think you need it.

Old 08-02-2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
It would be understandable if affirmative action policies were kept in place for maybe 20 to 30 years after the Civil Rights movement to help black people overcome past injustices. But we are now close to 50 years of these policies and there is no end in sight to them. We long ago past the point where most of the U.S. population wasn't even alive when Jim Crow laws existed.
You act like white people didn't benefit from affirmative action policies since the founding of this country.

Quote:
Do you think it is fair that a child today can get admitted to a university with lower test scores than everybody else just because the child has the biological trait of being born black? Do you think this policy leads to racial harmony?
Yes I do, the fact that my parents had to suffer from Jim Crow laws in Alabama, could not safely attend white universities in Alabama and were barred from buying homes in white communities to accumulate wealth for them and their future generations. So if someone wants to say that my family has been privileged bc I may have gotten into a university with lower test scores than a white counterpart let me play the worlds smallest violin. Honestly I could care less about racial harmony and I am more concerned about the government correcting the wrongs that is forced on black people that still scare this country today.

Last edited by Sketter; 08-02-2020 at 03:57 PM..

Old 08-02-2020, 10:44 PM

76 posts, read 103,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sketter View Post
you act like white people didn't benefit from affirmative action policies since the founding of this country.

Yes i do, the fact that my parents had to suffer from jim crow laws in alabama, could not safely attend white universities in alabama and were barred from buying homes in white communities to accumulate wealth for them and their future generations. So if someone wants to say that my family has been privileged bc i may have gotten into a university with lower test scores than a white counterpart let me play the worlds smallest violin. Honestly i could care less about racial harmony and i am more concerned about the government correcting the wrongs that is forced on black people that still scare this country today.
straight up.

Old 08-03-2020, 03:21 AM

264 posts, read 100,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gia_inNova View Post
DC may have a lot of Black people, but many are not living in luxury buildings.

As an aside, I have noticed that the media tends to paint Black American people with one broad brush (and the focus is often on poverty). The Washington Post and NY Times are notorious for exclusively featuring stories on Black poverty. Rarely do they ever feature any news stories about Black upper income individuals.

Why haven't the NY Times or the Washington Post featured a story about this development that is a joint investment between an African American investment group and a Ghanaian American developer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdQDxvnx-Xs

The media plays a very large role in public perception.
Very very true! The media is critical in the branding of African Americans in a subservient role!

The video was on point and quite inspiring indeed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: