Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 08:37 AM

741 posts, read 2,780,781 times

Advertisements

New England tends to be more reserved than DC and there's very much a divide I think between those who grew up there, and those who come form somewhere else.

Down here in DC there's a lot of people who aren't "from the area" so we all have to get along, as to being just ignored by the local populace.

Hey just my 2 centavos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 03:17 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smakawhat View Post
I find DC way more diverse in it's demographic as well compared to Boston. Boston had to be the 'whitest' city I've been to so far...
I just read pretty much all of the DC vs Boston threads on our forum. This seems to be a constant theme.

However, MASS has TONS and TONS of Brazilians, Cambodians, Haitians, etc. Seemingly much more than DC anyways.

However, maybe they aren't in Boston itself? Or despite large numbers, there presense doesn't seem to have visibility or something? I am unsure, anyone want to clarify that a bit who might know....?

Old 10-19-2010, 07:50 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,152,348 times
Is it true what they say about Boston, that it's somewhat racist? I've never been up there, but would love to visit for a few days, maybe catch a Sawx game, but I've heard things about racism and Boston.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:27 PM

929 posts, read 1,903,405 times
The DC area has a significantly larger professional class and a professional class in which minorities play a much larger role. Boston proper is actually more diverse than DC proper; however, the DC metro area is MUCH more diverse than greater Boston. In both areas, the majority of the residents reside in the suburbs. However, most of the popular DC suburbs have a demographic make-up more similar to suburbs in the Bay area or Southern California, whereas most of the Boston suburbs have a demographic make-up similar to Long Island's north shore...huge difference.

Boston is much safer than DC, overall. However, DC appears to be much safer in the heavily visited areas (i.e. it's easier to avoid crime in DC b/c it's more concentrated). Boston has a much more blue-collar vibe than DC. The DC area pretty much appears to be like a mini-Paris (albeit a blacker and less dense one; I'm referring to DC, parts of Arlington and parts of Alexandria) surrounded mostly by suburban Los Angeles (without the beaches and with less hispanics; I'm referring to parts of Arlington, parts of Alexandria, all of Fairfax and Montgomery Counties, and parts Prince George's County ) and to a smaller extent by Chicago's south side (most of Prince George's County). Most of the region's population resides in the suburban LA-like portion.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:52 AM

866 posts, read 2,628,314 times
I think Boston is pretty diverse. Each time I've been up there, I've seen people of many races. Walking through Boston Common on a warm August afternoon, I observed Asians, Indians, Hispanics, African-Americans, and Caucasians, all relaxing, playing, taking pictures, reading, etc.

To me, DC has no character. It feels very bland, sterile, and generic. Boston has a great feel to it, and it's obvious that so many people take pride in their city. I always love visiting there. Similarly, places like New York, Philadelphia, Chicago, Seattle, and San Francisco have real character and a city identity. Other than museums and politics, there just isn't much that is uniquely DC. This is just my personal opinion and observation.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:31 AM

6,737 posts, read 6,727,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobo16 View Post
To me, DC has no character.
To me, Baltimore has too many characters.

I see you live there, and not Boston. After a girl I know got the **** beat out of her on Russell Street, I've been been staying away from Harm City.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:39 AM

866 posts, read 2,628,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
To me, Baltimore has too many characters.

I see you live there, and not Boston. After a girl I know got the **** beat out of her on Russell Street, I've been been staying away from Harm City.
I live in Baltimore, work in DC, and visit Boston 3-4 times a year.

I'm sorry about your friend. Yes, Baltimore has its safety issues and it has its share of characters, but it's not all bad, and it has a lot of personality.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:42 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Other than museums and politics, there just isn't much that is uniquely DC.
Except that it's one of the most pictorally identifiable cities in the world. :-)

Old 10-20-2010, 11:11 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,090,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I just read pretty much all of the DC vs Boston threads on our forum. This seems to be a constant theme.

However, MASS has TONS and TONS of Brazilians, Cambodians, Haitians, etc. Seemingly much more than DC anyways.

However, maybe they aren't in Boston itself? Or despite large numbers, there presense doesn't seem to have visibility or something? I am unsure, anyone want to clarify that a bit who might know....?
Massachusetts (along with New Jersey and Florida) does have a lot of Brazilians. They followed the Portuguese to the state. I'm not aware of any significant number of Brazilians, Cambodians or Haitians anywhere in the DC area. Now, if you had mentioned Salvadorans, Koreans or Ethiopians....

However, I don't think the Brazilians have a very visible presence in Boston itself, as opposed to the New Bedford area or some of the outlying suburbs like Framingham. It's like going to DC to look for Koreans and finding out they are really in Centreville instead.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:12 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Other than museums and politics, there just isn't much that is uniquely DC. This is just my personal opinion and observation.
The beautiful colorful rowhomes found throughout in many DC neighborhoods are quite unique though.

DC is kind of funny...there is some great beauty to it, but most of the photos always seem to be of the monuments.

Sometimes I wonder if the nation's capitol were in Boston instead. Would the rest of Boston just be completely overlooked altogether as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC