Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 06:39 PM

5 posts, read 11,139 times

Advertisements

I live in So. Cal. and would like to relocate. My husband and I are looking for a place to enjoy life a little more. We both work 40+ hours a week and he drives over an hour each way to work/home.We have been thinking of Olympia WA, Idaho Falls, ID...any other suggestions or reasons to choose one over the other? Looking for a nice relaxing place to raise our family (currently have a 2 year old), also would like to be by Christian schools/churches,the water,easy to afford...and nice people!! Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 06:58 PM

21 posts, read 101,211 times
there are so many factors, i would just read as much as you can on this forum. spokane is nice, 4 seasons, lot of great lakes to go to in the summer. i like the ones by cheney, more cliffs to jump off of. job market in spokane not great, but not bad. seattle has the big city stuff. very nice and green, but very grey skies in the winter. summers are nice and blue skies. more jobs in seattle, but can be pretty competitive as seattle is the most highly educated city in the US. oh yeah, dont know much about seattle schools, but have read many times that in spokane competition for teaching jobs is tough. spokane has very good schools.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:59 PM

21 posts, read 101,211 times
this map doesnt show post falls, just spokane. either way this crime map is very informative. http://www.spokanegis.org/crimemap/default.asp (broken link)

Old 01-23-2008, 10:02 PM

305 posts, read 1,610,246 times
If you want the Pacific NW, look at Puyallup, Sumner, and Edgewood. These areas are family friendly and have great access to the mountains and Commencement Bay/Puget Sound. The perk for Puyallup is Cascade Christian Schools Cascade Christian Schools - Home page CCS has early childhood education all the way through high school. It also is a college prep school--your children will get a good education (I did!). While located in Puyallup, CCS is VERY accessible from Sumner, which is where I would recommend living. Sumner is on the Sounder commuter train to Seattle's line of stops, easy commute to work! Edgewood is also a great place to live, and has easy access to I-5 for a commute to work in Tacoma or Seattle. Puyallup itself is becoming pretty full of housing developments and traffic, but hey, I grew up there and would raise my kids there in a heartbeat, though not on what's considered "south hill," that's just a cookie-cuttered, congestion nightmare!

Old 01-24-2008, 11:03 AM

Thank you both for your responses. I have been reading a lot on this site....so much info but really helps...thanks again! A lot of people have said Spokane (also) or Kennewick in other posts. Washington sounds so nice!

Old 01-24-2008, 11:30 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,703,067 times
I'm rom SO CAl - what part are you in...what is the SO CAl "version" or what you are looking for in WA (like do you want suburbs like Dana Point? or old neighborhoods like Oxnard?) I lived in Westerchester/Marins Del Rey area

Old 01-24-2008, 12:20 PM

I have lived everywhere lol, born/ lived in Sacramento , lived in La county, Orange county, currently in San Bernardino county, (the only place we could afford to buy a house). Looking to get away from the city! I love the moutains and my husband loves the river. Really anywhere quite but close enough to drive to eat or shop.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:05 PM

I"M FROM SACRAMENTO! GOSH I miss it! I loved it - I went there for college before I moved up to Seattle (talk about a wrong move)

My husband and I are from Lake Arrowhead High School (Rim) and my parents still live in Redlands

Old 01-25-2008, 11:36 AM

Oh wow, Redlands is really close to me. We are in North Fontana. Wow small world lol. Why did you say "wrong move"? You dont like it there? Havent heard very many good things about Spokane area...but do you know anything about the Kennewick, Olympia or Gig Harbor?

Old 01-25-2008, 02:00 PM

I HATE it here. It's too damn cold ALL YEAR LONG, and it's only sunny approx 60 days of the year (sompare that with 300 in Sacramento)...It's really hard to live in. The air is so moist!! I have had numerous sinus infections since living here. And my kids don't go out and play - we have a huge back yard but it's always way too wet or cold for them to goout - and I'm definately not going out in that weather. Alot of people stay indoors.

It's REALLY hard to live here.

Gig Harbour is very nice, and Olympia is too but it's very hippie/liberal (which I like, but don't know ifyou would)

My husband used to teach Biology at Fontant HIGH!! He was also the wrestling coach
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington