Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2021, 08:42 AM

14,496 posts, read 12,134,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusVelo View Post
Ignore me then, it’ll be easier to fly through life without having to tolerate people who actually hold you accountable for what you type.
Oh good grief. This is just obnoxious and uncalled for. You don't deserve how quickly and politely I conceded your nitpicky point and corrected my earlier post. Life and internet debate doesn't get more accountable than that.

Polite and productive discourse would entail you acknowledging that courtesy and the conversation moving on. The fact that you didn't and wanted to instead harp it again is a symptom of what's broken in our political discourse.

So... Now.... Move on, or I'll take it back, because if you want to sit here and parse my words down to the minutia, then I'm not technically or grammatically wrong in what I originally said, at least as it pertains to infants.

Good Morning!

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 05-15-2021 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: one clarification!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2021, 08:52 AM

146 posts, read 154,564 times
Think about how worried the government really is about the severity of this....they just recently started to in this administration and continue to knowingly send thousands of Covid positive children and adults via airplanes and buses to various destinations across the country. This has been going on for months and many don’t care because it fits their political alignment.

The same people that aren’t worried about THOUSANDS of Covid positive release people into massive crowds and transportation methods are worried that you might be in Costco around them or on the sidewalk without a mask....just think about that for a while.

Old 05-15-2021, 09:53 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,674,107 times
PCC is on the list. And with that... I can get both mask-free groceries and a coffee shop fix...

All temporary. I predict in a month everything will be open, mask-free.

Unless the CDC changes its mind. But I don't think they will. As it is they've lost so much credibility.

Old 05-15-2021, 10:54 AM

14,496 posts, read 12,134,812 times
Agreed - at this point I think they’re just trying to keep up with the public, not guide it…

Old 05-15-2021, 12:17 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,374,563 times
Indoors, it is the vaccinated who are the most likely to continue to wear masks, as a precaution against infection or transmission, which is unlikely, but not impossible, while it is the unvaccinated who are the least likely to continue to wear masks, despite being the most vulnerable to infection, because they believe they are otherwise protected by their age, race, sex, status, politics, and/or faith.

Old 05-15-2021, 12:34 PM

8,217 posts, read 16,708,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Indoors, it is the vaccinated who are the most likely to continue to wear masks, as a precaution against infection or transmission, which is unlikely, but not impossible, while it is the unvaccinated who are the least likely to continue to wear masks, despite being the most vulnerable to infection, because they believe they are otherwise protected by their age, race, sex, status, politics, and/or faith.
We've got lots of anti-vaxxers in WA. It's what led to the measles outbreak in Clark County in 2019. So, I would not be surprised at all that large groups of 'the faithful' are now refusing to vaccinate their families again. That will become harder as certain schools require vaccinations to return to in-person learning in the fall. I know UW just announced that as a requirement. You can almost guarantee there will be plenty of protests and lawsuits along with social media misinformation campaigns supporting their 'cause.' Freedom to roam the streets unvaccinated, unmasked getting infected and infecting others, their version of the American dream.

"The Pacific Northwest is home to an outspoken population of anti-vaccination lobbyists that are likely in part responsible for the increased prevalence of personal belief exemptions throughout the region...

With the identification of more cases, public outrage continued to grow as the Washington Department of Health disclosed that, as of February 21, 2019, over one million dollars had been spent on the outbreak, largely to cover the costs of medical supplies and staff.[34] “This is taxpayer money for something that could have been completely, utterly preventable in the first place,” explains Clark County public health director Alan Melnick, in reference to the MMR vaccine designed to prevent the spread of measles." 2019 Pacific Northwest measles outbreak

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 05-15-2021 at 12:50 PM..

Old 05-15-2021, 01:05 PM

146 posts, read 154,564 times
Again, if the vaccinations work you are protected and should not be concerned. Also where is your concern for the millions of illegals pouring into the country already infected and spreading?

Blaming people that don’t want to take an experimental vaccine doesn’t seem like the answer. Lots of people have medical or religious reasons that are legitimate to them. It’s selfish of some to want other people to take an experimental vaccine....not a FDA approved vaccine just because they think it makes them safer....yet these same people may be obese, may not workout, may make tons of other poor personal health choices.

Outside risk in roaming streets of non vaccinated people transferring it is less than 1/10th of a percent....if your vaccinated than you probably have more of a chance of being hit by a car.

Old 05-15-2021, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlud View Post
Again, if the vaccinations work you are protected and should not be concerned. Also where is your concern for the millions of illegals pouring into the country already infected and spreading?

Blaming people that don’t want to take an experimental vaccine doesn’t seem like the answer. Lots of people have medical or religious reasons that are legitimate to them. It’s selfish of some to want other people to take an experimental vaccine....not a FDA approved vaccine just because they think it makes them safer....yet these same people may be obese, may not workout, may make tons of other poor personal health choices.

Outside risk in roaming streets of non vaccinated people transferring it is less than 1/10th of a percent....if your vaccinated than you probably have more of a chance of being hit by a car.
Using that logic, it was 'selfish' for public health officials to require measles vaccines in schools to avoid public outbreaks like we had in 2019. Whether poorly informed decisions or personal beliefs, a public outbreak is a public outbreak - not an individual one. Like the old saying goes, your freedom to swing your arms around end at my nose. It doesn't just affect the individual but others around them, not to mention a tremendous waste of tax payer dollars. In the case of Covid, it can kill others, some who cannot take the vaccine due to health reasons, infants, etc... So, no, what is selfish is thinking one's individual freedoms are more important than the public's health. That part is lost on the anti-vaxxer, anti-maskers, or rather they simply don't care enough while exercising those freedoms.

Bringing up illegals is a marvelous scapegoat. Well, of course. Let's blame the Mexicans. We should have just finished the wall. That would have solved everything! Who needs vaccines or masks when you have a Big Wall? Only one little problem with that. Covid has already spread to every state and county in the US.

Derek

Old 05-15-2021, 01:42 PM

147 posts, read 151,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
We've got lots of anti-vaxxers in WA. It's what led to the measles outbreak in Clark County in 2019. So, I would not be surprised at all that large groups of 'the faithful' are now refusing to vaccinate their families again. That will become harder as certain schools require vaccinations to return to in-person learning in the fall. I know UW just announced that as a requirement. You can almost guarantee there will be plenty of protests and lawsuits along with social media misinformation campaigns supporting their 'cause.' Freedom to roam the streets unvaccinated, unmasked getting infected and infecting others, their version of the American dream.

"The Pacific Northwest is home to an outspoken population of anti-vaccination lobbyists that are likely in part responsible for the increased prevalence of personal belief exemptions throughout the region...

With the identification of more cases, public outrage continued to grow as the Washington Department of Health disclosed that, as of February 21, 2019, over one million dollars had been spent on the outbreak, largely to cover the costs of medical supplies and staff.[34] “This is taxpayer money for something that could have been completely, utterly preventable in the first place,” explains Clark County public health director Alan Melnick, in reference to the MMR vaccine designed to prevent the spread of measles." 2019 Pacific Northwest measles outbreak

Derek
We’re actually doing pretty well compared to most states, about 15th I think overall. The anti vaxxers are not all anti the Covid vaccine, strangely enough. Generally the anti vaccine movement in SW WA has been a perfect storm of three groups; the far right evangelicals, the far left lavender oil cures everything crowd, and the former Soviet Union immigrants who don’t trust the government (can you really blame them?). This vaccine has become so politically charged that the granola hippies are all getting it because they don’t want to be seen as Republicans and some conservatives that normally are pro vaccine are for some bizarre reason suspicious of this one. That said, most of my conservative friends have gotten vaccinated and all of my former “vaccines cause autism” crunchy friends have. Humans are weird.

Old 05-15-2021, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy2017 View Post
We’re actually doing pretty well compared to most states, about 15th I think overall. The anti vaxxers are not all anti the Covid vaccine, strangely enough. Generally the anti vaccine movement in SW WA has been a perfect storm of three groups; the far right evangelicals, the far left lavender oil cures everything crowd, and the former Soviet Union immigrants who don’t trust the government (can you really blame them?). This vaccine has become so politically charged that the granola hippies are all getting it because they don’t want to be seen as Republicans and some conservatives that normally are pro vaccine are for some bizarre reason suspicious of this one. That said, most of my conservative friends have gotten vaccinated and all of my former “vaccines cause autism” crunchy friends have. Humans are weird.
Perfect! That sums everything up. Humans are indeed weird!! Remember the insane rush on toilet paper? lol

Hey, at least you can wipe your @ss when all else fails.

Interesting take on the various groups in SW WA now. Yeah, I have a lot of conservative friends who are getting the covid vaccine. Though I know some who are very 'suspicious' including a few family members (not in WA) who just contracted the virus. They didn't believe in masks either. These are not bad people. It's just unfortunate when they buy into a line of thinking that leads down a path they had not expected or could have avoided. And it affects others around them as well. They have great 'talking points' which all amount to nothing once infected.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington